Rupp Rafters Meltdown

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Rupp Rafters Meltdown

Post by MICHHAWK »

7 8 10 years from now when cal retires. maybe beard will have re-built his reputation. who knows. but it will be awhile before he gets a big job. if ever.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:59 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pmpreparing for a predecessor should be on UKs mind.
What exactly would this entail?
Having Billy Clyde sit on Bill's bench for five years?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:12 pm 7 8 10 years from now when cal retires. maybe beard will have re-built his reputation. who knows. but it will be awhile before he gets a big job. if ever.
I would be surprised if Cal is still at Kentucky in five years, let alone 7+.

In any case, unless there's more to come out on Beard, it won't take him more than one offseason to find a home. He may well be right back in line for a blue-blood job by the time Kentucky comes available (or Kansas, for that matter). Right or wrong.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:31 pmIn any case, unless there's more to come out on Beard, it won't take him more than one offseason to find a home. He may well be right back in line for a blue-blood job by the time Kentucky comes available (or Kansas, for that matter). Right or wrong.
I think this one (Beard) feels different but for sure someone like UNLV would hire him in a heartbeat.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:37 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:31 pmIn any case, unless there's more to come out on Beard, it won't take him more than one offseason to find a home. He may well be right back in line for a blue-blood job by the time Kentucky comes available (or Kansas, for that matter). Right or wrong.
I think this one (Beard) feels different but for sure someone like UNLV would hire him in a heartbeat.
"Grab 'em by the pussy" guy won the presidency. I'm pretty sure Beard will find a job.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

…and after a year or two of winning games and keeping his nose clean at like a UNLV, then he gets the call from a blue blood.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I for sure see the path, but if Texas Athletics looks into you and they send you packing, how bad is everything?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, for real.

But even Texas took their sweet time in doing so.

Maybe if Beard went full Pussy Grabber route and just doubled down quick on some deny-and-counter-accuse strategy.

But, gross.

And I guess that strategy is easier when the mitigation begins after the fact, versus beginning with just getting yer ass out of jail first.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:45 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm If UK were to fire Cal, they wouldn't look any further than Nate Oats (unproven) and Scott Drew (sucks).
The list of people who have "proven it" at a level worthy of Kentucky are Bill Self and Tom Izzo. That's pretty much it.
Well I think KU fans would also call Oats unproven if our job was to suddenly open up tomorrow, but I agree that UK fans' expectations will be quite high. They know like 5-7 guys won't make moves, and that kind of does leave Oats near the top, but it's a tad underwhelming for the blueblood. I think Sampson could be the 2nd best coach in the country right now, but he's too old.
If Self quit, I would plead for KU to hire Oats.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm
The list of people who have "proven it" at a level worthy of Kentucky are Bill Self and Tom Izzo. That's pretty much it.
Well I think KU fans would also call Oats unproven if our job was to suddenly open up tomorrow, but I agree that UK fans' expectations will be quite high. They know like 5-7 guys won't make moves, and that kind of does leave Oats near the top, but it's a tad underwhelming for the blueblood. I think Sampson could be the 2nd best coach in the country right now, but he's too old.
I get that. But it feels like there are quite a few less options out there than there were even just 2 years ago and now one of the younger guys in Beard is off the table.

That's why the Self replacement threads always seem like such a waste of time. Shit changes so fast and we want that guy to stick around here for a long time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:18 pm

I get that. But it feels like there are quite a few less options out there than there were even just 2 years ago and now one of the younger guys in Beard is off the table.

That's why the Self replacement threads always seem like such a waste of time. Shit changes so fast and we want that guy to stick around here for a long time.
I'm probably just saying the same thing you are, but right now, Oats has the profile that's closest to what Bill's was (so, of course we instinctively find that appealing).

But that championship belt (as it were) very much does change hands pretty frequently; Beard's held it, and so has Hoiberg. I'm old enough to remember when it was damn near gospel that Hoiberg was next here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:18 pm

Agree on all counts. Seems like the cycle changes every two years or so.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

chris beard will be 50 in a few weeks. he ain't never coaching my team.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 am chris beard will be 50 in a few weeks. he ain't never coaching my team.
Too young?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Chris Beard will never be the coach at KU. His scandal ruined any small chance he previously had.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mich is still hoping for DM (57 in a couple months) or Turgeon (58 next Sunday).
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:40 pm
"Grab 'em by the pussy" guy won the presidency. I'm pretty sure Beard will find a job.
I doubt it. There were enough MAGAs to influence the slavery-fueled anachronism that is the Electoral College to make the former happen. There are more than enough 18-25 year olds who want to prove that their collective institutional conscience is above any success on the basketball court. Unless you’re talking about Liberty University, Oral Roberts or the Alito Kavanaugh Barrett Thomas College of The Constitution Doesn’t Explicitly Say You Can’t Beat Women.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:38 pm
I doubt it. There were enough MAGAs to influence the slavery-fueled anachronism that is the Electoral College to make the former happen. There are more than enough 18-25 year olds who want to prove that their collective institutional conscience is above any success on the basketball court. Unless you’re talking about Liberty University, Oral Roberts or the Alito Kavanaugh Barrett Thomas College of The Constitution Doesn’t Explicitly Say You Can’t Beat Women.
Take it to the other boreds, I know, but: for a big swath of the country, anti-wokeness is a virtue.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:56 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:38 pm
Take it to the other boreds, I know, but: for a big swath of the country, anti-wokeness is a virtue.
Yes it is. And even many/most of those people don't agree with a man beating on a woman.