we're gonna need this thread
Mjl

Re: Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Post by Mjl »

Here here
painter

Post by painter »

Should I start a "LaGerald you better play better or you're going to be losing minutes" thread or nah?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Nah
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

painter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 pm Should I start a "LaGerald you better play better or you're going to be losing minutes" thread or nah?
Haha...he's a senior, but man, he just disappears way too much. You should add the Marcus Garrett will take my spot to your title too.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
painter

Post by painter »

thekid6 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 pm
painter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 pm Should I start a "LaGerald you better play better or you're going to be losing minutes" thread or nah?
Haha...he's a senior, but man, he just disappears way too much. You should add the Marcus Garrett will take my spot to your title too.
That was kind of my point. You are a senior playing on the big stage and you disappeared. And it was more than just the stat sheet.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

forgot Vick was even out there most of the night

looked passive
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I'm not sure what people are expecting Vick to be. I didn't think he looked that bad at all. Took 1 ill-advised long jumper, but other than that looked about how I expected.

Are people thinking he's somehow going to magically develop into a number 1 or 2 option on an elite program? Because he's never been that or shown that type of potential. He's a role player, and I think he'll play that role well this year. Play defense. Hit open 3s. Move the ball. He doesn't need to be overly aggressive offensively forcing the issue and taking 10 shots every game. Dedric Dok and Grimes should be able to do the heavy lifting. Then dotson vick and Garrett can all get in where they fit in game to game. I'm sure we will see big scoring games out of Vick occasionally, and he'll probably end up as our 4th leading scorer (which seems about right).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well if you guys are gonna throw Vick under the bus, who are you gonna play instead?

and perhaps more importantly, shouldn't that get its own thread?

cuz in case no one noticed David is gonna be a beast.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mitch will be fine. He had an atrocious game, to be sure.

I also agree with Illy - Vick is what he is. But he'll be out there so long as Bill wants Ochai kept in red.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vick is an anomaly as far as seniors go, but he should still get the senior treatment as far as starting/minutes.

Mitch will be fine, but hopefully not as the first big off the bench. If that's the case, this team's ceiling isn't quite as high as we all assumed.

He's good for hustle plays, and maybe a post bucket. But he's not a particularly good rebounder, and is too prone to getting pushed around.

David, otoh, has legit D1 size, seems to have a knack for boards, and could make the dropoff when Dok comes out much less significant.

At the very least, let's try to sub Mitch expressly at the 4, instead of pretending he's some all-purpose big.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just depends. Mitch is super-playable against all the midmajors we'll have over the next couple weeks. Not so much against teams with real size.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's a good point.

a lot depends on matchups.

I guess my point is, I'm gonna be bummed if Mitch is getting big minutes as a known commodity against midmajors while David rides pine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 am Vick is an anomaly as far as seniors go, but he should still get the senior treatment as far as starting/minutes.

Mitch will be fine, but hopefully not as the first big off the bench. If that's the case, this team's ceiling isn't quite as high as we all assumed.

He's good for hustle plays, and maybe a post bucket. But he's not a particularly good rebounder, and is too prone to getting pushed around.

David, otoh, has legit D1 size, seems to have a knack for boards, and could make the dropoff when Dok comes out much less significant.

At the very least, let's try to sub Mitch expressly at the 4, instead of pretending he's some all-purpose big.
Grimes, D. Lawson, Dok and Dotson are all better than Vick so Vick should be about 5th in mpg and ppg. Vick is what he is, being a senior doesn't change that. We don't need him to be great. KJ and Garrett will start picking off Vick's minutes against lesser teams.

Vick will have 5 great games, 5 bad games and a bunch of average games. Last night was one of his 5 bad ones.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vick needs to step it up just cuz we got so many options on the wing, and if there ever was a senior who stands a chance of loosing his senior privilege, it's him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I just don't want to see him shooting out-of-rhythm threes (or, worse, long twos) ever again. We've got too much going on for him to end possessions like that. Also, more fast-break 360s, seriously.
Deleted User 89

if Vick wants to play at the next level, he'll have to show up and be more impactful than he was last night...i felt like he didn't really impact the game at all

would we have fared worse had he not played? don't think so
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

What next level are you speaking of? The NBA ? Lulz.

He's already good enough to make money overseas. He will never be good enough to play in the nba. Remember how good a Selden was in college? He barely plays for a crappy Memphis team. Svi. Graham. Mason. The list is long of much better players who we've had who are fighting to stick in the nba. Mclemore was miles better than Vick and he has trouble getting on the floor.

Phwitt will love this: anyone who thinks Vick is even borderline NBA level should watch more NBA. He's not even close.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am What next level are you speaking of? The NBA ? Lulz.

He's already good enough to make money overseas. He will never be good enough to play in the nba. Remember how good a Selden was in college? He barely plays for a crappy Memphis team. Svi. Graham. Mason. The list is long of much better players who we've had who are fighting to stick in the nba.

Phwitt will love this: anyone who thinks Vick is even borderline NBA level should watch more NBA. He's not even close.
PREACH!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

i don't think Vick has nba-level abilities, but wasn't he testing those waters last spring?
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.