Another mass shooting

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:01 am In KC the shooters were supposedly subdued and taken into custody. The release of photos followed and were intentionally misleading. Everyone saw what they wanted to see. I should not have popped off. I really wanted to know if the photos were truly the shooter as they were portrayed.
I get it. The pure volume of media out there racing to be first while failing to provide even minimal context or available information is very frustration. It shouldn't have been too hard to find out the name of the adult that was shown, what he was charged with (if anything) before providing his photo. So frustrating.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Something must change. We lead the world in gun disputes
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:01 am In KC the shooters were supposedly subdued and taken into custody. The release of photos followed and were intentionally misleading. Everyone saw what they wanted to see. I should not have popped off. I really wanted to know if the photos were truly the shooter as they were portrayed.
I get it. The pure volume of media out there racing to be first while failing to provide even minimal context or available information is very frustration. It shouldn't have been too hard to find out the name of the adult that was shown, what he was charged with (if anything) before providing his photo. So frustrating.
Yeah. I had seen only the long photo of his apprehension. Once the close ups filtered in, he was having a bad day. It was on every feed for a while. Random dude having bad day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 am Something must change. We lead the world in gun disputes
Nothing will get done with the type of Congressional representatives that are being put into office by Republicans. You can't add more screaming idiots to a discussion and have anything productive come out of it. Even worse, it seems to be leading to a flood of more competent leaders choosing to leave Congress because they cannot stand dealing with these morons any more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna129732
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:04 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 am I thought the Supreme Court ruled that gun businesses were people? So confusing.
I don't understand why legal, responsible gun owners wouldn't want some sort of tweak to gun laws to separate them from the mentally ill or irresponsible gun owners? If you have no heart and the constant murders of innocent people doesn't move the needle, then be selfish. Why isn't "you MFers are making us look bad and might force me to go through a bunch of additional costs/steps even though I handle my shit just fine" a motivation? Something has to be done, they might as well get on board having it done in a manner that impacts them the least before some massive event happens and people force a massive overreaction change to happen.
Your whole post has historically been my view - not unlike conversations we have on other topics, my opinion has been that normie gun owners should WANT, for a lot of reasons, to re-attach the "well-regulated" part to our Second Amendment laws and jurisprudence.

Participate in shaping change, or have change forced upon you.*

But - to this point above.

Columbine (13 body bags; school; 1999)
Virginia Tech (32; school; 2007)
Fort Hood (13; military base; 2009)
Tucson (6; US Representative shot; 2011)
Aurora (12; movie theater; 2012)
Sandy Hook (27; school; 2012)
San Bernardino (14; Department of Public Health training; 2015)
Orlando (49; nightclub; 2016)
Las Vegas (58; concert; 2017)
Sutherland Springs (26; church; 2017)
Parkland (17; school; 2018)
Santa Fe (10; school; 2018)
Pittsburgh (11; church; 2018)
Thousand Oaks (12; nightclub; 2018)
Virginia Beach (12; municipal building; 2019)
El Paso (22; Walmart; 2019)
Dayton (9; entertainment district; 2019)
Boulder (10; grocery store; 2021)
San Jose (9; transportation authority; 2021)
Highland Park (7; parade; 2022)
Buffalo (10; grocery store; 2022)
Uvalde (22; school; 2022)
Nashville (7; school; 2023)
Monterey Park (12; dance studio; 2023)
Lewiston (19; bowling alley and bar; 2023)

This of course is just a sampling.

But what about this timeline, or these numbers, or those locations and settings, makes you confident there even IS a theoretically-possible breaking point that could cause a "massive overreaction change"?

* It's not lost on me that the one outlier in our recent history of mass shootings is...2020. A lot could be said about that. For purposes of this post, I will just say that the freedum-chanting numbnutses who consider ANY new gun legislation to be an affront to their personal liberty and the start of a slippery slope to a nanny, control state...well, there is no better argument FOR moving that direction than people demonstrating over and over again that they can't be trusted with dangerous things.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 am
If there is a moral to the story, it's don't be Randy.

Quickly after the story broke we had a number of Rubepublicans in Jeff City pushing the story that the shooter was an "illegal alien". They have yet to recant their story cuz it fit neatly into their constituents rubethink matrix and they wanted an excuse to tell everyone that the border is a crisis and Biden and sanctuary (Dem big cities) are to blame.

We had a Dem rep the next day who wrote a bill to curb the unrestricted gun access and "unfettered carry in public" laws in MO.

The Rubepublicans decided to quietly hold off on voting on a bill to allow unlicensed concealed carry of firearms on public transit in MO. Bad optics, even in rubethink terms.

And then a heartfelt plea by a Rubepublican from Little Dixie who says now is not the time to make any new laws in the heat of the moment, we need to allow time for another mass shooting so we can go into another cooling off period before we don't talk about doing something.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:19 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 am Something must change. We lead the world in gun disputes
Nothing will get done with the type of Congressional representatives that are being put into office by Republicans. You can't add more screaming idiots to a discussion and have anything productive come out of it. Even worse, it seems to be leading to a flood of more competent leaders choosing to leave Congress because they cannot stand dealing with these morons any more.

Thx, Citizens United.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:19 am

Thx, Citizens United.
Idiots United seems more accurate. The morons in our midst seem to have felt they were not adequately represented in Congress so they promptly voted a good handful of fellow idiots into office and now we're left with every discussion dissolving into a tacky Jerry Springer episode.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

And therefore a game show host is their perfect presidential candidate.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 amThe Rubepublicans decided to quietly hold off on voting on a bill to allow unlicensed concealed carry of firearms on public transit in MO. Bad optics, even in rubethink terms.

And then a heartfelt plea by a Rubepublican from Little Dixie who says now is not the time to make any new laws in the heat of the moment, we need to allow time for another mass shooting so we can go into another cooling off period before we don't talk about doing something.
Here is an updated version of an old classic.
Once upon a time there were three Bears, who lived together in a house of their own, in a wood.

One of them was a Little Wee Bear, and one was a Middle-sized Bear, and the other was a Great Big Bear. They had each a bowl for their porridge; a little bowl for the Little Wee Bear; and a middle-sized bowl for the Middle-sized Bear; and a great bowl for the Great Big Bear. And they had each a chair to sit in; a little chair for the Little Wee Bear; and a middle-sized chair for the Middle-sized Bear; and a great chair for the Great Big Bear. And they had each a bed to sleep in; a little bed for the Little Wee Bear; and a middle-sized bed for the Middle-sized Bear; and a great bed for the Great Big Bear.

One day, after they had made the porridge for their breakfast, and poured it into their porridge-bowls, they walked out into the wood while the porridge was cooling, that they might not burn their mouths by beginning too soon, for they were polite, well-brought-up Bears.

And while they were away a little girl called Goldilocks, who lived at the other side of the wood and had been sent on an errand by her mother, passed by the house, and looked in at the window. And then she peeped in at the keyhole, for she was not at all a well-brought-up little girl. Then seeing nobody in the house she lifted the latch. The door was not fastened, because the Bears were good Bears, who did nobody any harm, and never suspected that anybody would harm them. So Goldilocks opened the door and went in; and well pleased was she when she saw the porridge on the table.

If she had been a well-brought-up little girl she would have waited till the Bears came home, and then, perhaps, they would have asked her to breakfast; for they were good Bears—a little rough or so, as the manner of Bears is, but for all that very good-natured and hospitable. But she was an impudent, rude little girl, and so she set about helping herself.

First she tasted the porridge of the Great Big Bear, and that was too hot for her. Next she tasted the porridge of the Middle-sized Bear, but that was too cold for her. And then she gave up tasting porridge like a sniveling little twat!

Then Goldilocks, who was tired, for she had been catching butterflies instead of running on her errand, sat down in the chair of the Great Big Bear, but that was too hard for her. And then she sat down in the chair of the Middle-sized Bear, and that was too soft for her. She then gave up on finding a place to sit, like a sniveling little twat, which made her very cross, for she was a bad-tempered little girl.

Now, being determined to rest, Goldilocks went upstairs into the bedchamber in which the Three Bears slept. And first she lay down upon the bed of the Great Big Bear, but that was too high at the head for her. And next she lay down upon the bed of the Middle-sized Bear, and that was too high at the foot for her. And then she gave up finding a place to rest, like a sniveling little twat, so she stood in the middle of the front room of the house, cursing at Disney and Bud Light and Taylor Swift and wondering why no one liked her.

By this time the Three Bears thought their porridge would be cool enough for them to eat it properly; so they came home to breakfast.

Famously, Bears find sniveling little twats more appetizing than porridge (even when the temperature is just right), so they ate Goldilocks.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/2-me ... JMECIXMMU/

"Authorities in Missouri announced charges against two young men in connection with the shooting that killed one woman and left several others injured during the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory parade last week.

Dominic M. Miller, 18, of Kansas City, and Lyndell Mays, 22, of Raytown, each face charges including second-degree murder, KMBC reported. They were each being held on a $1 million bail on Tuesday."

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said that investigators determined that Mays pulled out a gun while he was arguing with another person whom he did not appear to know.

“Almost immediately, others pulled their firearms,” Peters Baker said. She added, “Miller was one of those individuals.”

The prosecutor said Miller’s firearm is the one that shot the bullet that killed Elizabeth “Lisa” Lopez-Galvan, a 43-year-old mother and popular DJ. In a statement shared through Peters Baker, family members shared thanks for investigators and authorities."

Sounds like the two juveniles who were arrested were amongst the "others who drew their weapons and fired" group.

This had a little more details: https://channel3now.com/2024/02/20/lynd ... nd-killed/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/2-me ... JMECIXMMU/

"Authorities in Missouri announced charges against two young men in connection with the shooting that killed one woman and left several others injured during the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory parade last week.

Dominic M. Miller, 18, of Kansas City, and Lyndell Mays, 22, of Raytown, each face charges including second-degree murder, KMBC reported. They were each being held on a $1 million bail on Tuesday."

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said that investigators determined that Mays pulled out a gun while he was arguing with another person whom he did not appear to know.

“Almost immediately, others pulled their firearms,” Peters Baker said. She added, “Miller was one of those individuals.”

The prosecutor said Miller’s firearm is the one that shot the bullet that killed Elizabeth “Lisa” Lopez-Galvan, a 43-year-old mother and popular DJ.
In a statement shared through Peters Baker, family members shared thanks for investigators and authorities."

Sounds like the two juveniles who were arrested were amongst the "others who drew their weapons and fired" group.

This had a little more details: https://channel3now.com/2024/02/20/lynd ... nd-killed/
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

But, it’s NOT the guns dammit
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:22 pm But, it’s NOT the guns dammit
The presence of something like 1,000 good guys with guns was self-evidently not enough to dissuade bad guys from bringing and using guns, which caused guys (of unknown goodness or badness) to pull and start shooting their guns, which resulted in nine children being shot and one mother dying.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah-haw! Pew Pew Pew
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Circular firing squad.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm Circular firing squad.
And yet like clockwork, the usual goons are out with their coded language (simply put, it's a "thug" problem).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

skinheads!
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

calling the shooters that shot up a victory parade 'thugs" does not seem all that egregious. if shooters that shot up a victory parade killing one and injuring two dozen are not thugs. who is.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:47 pm calling the shooters that shot up a victory parade 'thugs" does not seem all that egregious. if shooters that shot up a victory parade killing one and injuring two dozen are not thugs. who is.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I think we need to be done stopping the analysis there.