Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Geezer

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Geezer »

Confiscate all of them.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm Uh, yeah, I know. Our district is in the midst of a $79.9 million facility upgrade as a result of these requirements. Paid for by me and the rest of our district so that a bunch of dumbfucks can spend their disposable income on guns and bullets instead of the education of their children.

Imagine the teacher raises and educational programs that could have been paid for with $79.9 million...
Is it your position that we should not be doing these upgrades to make the schools safer?

Because you don't seem happy about it. Maybe you don't have children in school.
i think the issue is that it treats the symptom, not the cause
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:46 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm Uh, yeah, I know. Our district is in the midst of a $79.9 million facility upgrade as a result of these requirements. Paid for by me and the rest of our district so that a bunch of dumbfucks can spend their disposable income on guns and bullets instead of the education of their children.

Imagine the teacher raises and educational programs that could have been paid for with $79.9 million...
Is it your position that we should not be doing these upgrades to make the schools safer?

We are likely never to treat the cause. So we should at the least treat the symptom.

It's something.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:41 pm
TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am The party of less government spending probably wants the government to spend education dollars on the zillions of dollars of upgrades needed to lock down our schools.
All new school upgrades funded by public bonds are required to include: vestibule entrances with two sets of double doors with interior door locks controlled by a button at the transaction window receptionists, upgraded alarm and card key locks at all exterior entrances, a certain number of exterior and interior video surveillance based on square footage of campus, and some sort of perimeter barrier fencing with electronic locks.
not disagreeing, but required by whom/what?
It's in the language of the bond contract on what is required for the allocation of the public funds. Not entirely sure how and who writes that into the Bill's but it's run through the state politicians. When these bond measures go up for public vote you can go read the proposed upgrades and the minimum required value/allocation dedicated toward school safety. In my state it is the items I listed as the requirements for a district to receive funding.

I only know this because ive contracted and done a lot of the school district upgrades around here.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 pm Confiscate all of them.
And this is the hard lining attitude that prevents actual discussions from being bad on the subject.

That sort of logic prompts the easily predictable response of "come get them from me".

Which of course gets a lot of chest banging by both sides but no actual negotiationing.

Do you not hunt? Not know anyone that hunts? Never been alone in bear/cougar/wolf country where a gun might just save your life?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:00 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:41 pm
TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm

All new school upgrades funded by public bonds are required to include: vestibule entrances with two sets of double doors with interior door locks controlled by a button at the transaction window receptionists, upgraded alarm and card key locks at all exterior entrances, a certain number of exterior and interior video surveillance based on square footage of campus, and some sort of perimeter barrier fencing with electronic locks.
not disagreeing, but required by whom/what?
It's in the language of the bond contract on what is required for the allocation of the public funds. Not entirely sure how and who writes that into the Bill's but it's run through the state politicians. When these bond measures go up for public vote you can go read the proposed upgrades and the minimum required value/allocation dedicated toward school safety. In my state it is the items I listed as the requirements for a district to receive funding.

I only know this because ive contracted and done a lot of the school district upgrades around here.
ahhh, ok

wasn't sure if i missed news of a new federal mandate
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:04 pm
And this is the hard lining attitude that prevents actual discussions from being bad on the subject.

That sort of logic prompts the easily predictable response of "come get them from me".

Which of course gets a lot of chest banging by both sides but no actual negotiationing.

Do you not hunt? Not know anyone that hunts? Never been alone in bear/cougar/wolf country where a gun might just save your life?

First of all, the geezer by his own admission is a geezer. No one listens to old people.

Secondly, I think he was being facetious.
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm

We are likely never to treat the cause. So we should at the least treat the symptom.

It's something.
that defeatist attitude gets us nowhere
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm

It's something.
I have a can-do attitude.

It's the rest of the general population, our elected officials included, that is too fat too dumb and too lazy to do anything meaningful about anything.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm that defeatist attitude gets us nowhere
Not to mention we have had plenty of motivation in the last 30 years. If we have not reached our boiling point yet, we likely will never.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm that defeatist attitude gets us nowhere
Not to mention we have had plenty of motivation in the last 30 years. If we have not reached our boiling point yet, we likely will never.
So while we are waiting til we reach our boiling point, lets at the very least do what we can to make our schools safer.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm

It's something.
No, trad, what it gets us is schools that look like and feel like prisons. The NRA has been pushing the "School as Prison look" for years. What is also gets is funds for contractors who look on schools not as a place for children, but as a source for their businesses.
Don't inject Lysol.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

All the schools in my district within the last few years have:

Locks on all doors. Doors are locked at all times.

One way in. One way out. That one way in is locked at all time.

Video camera's at the entrance. You need to be buzzed in when school is in session.

The two HS have full time resource officers(policeman) on campus during school hours.

The 3 middle schools share 1 resource office.

It's not perfect. But it's something. And the schools do not look like prisons.
Deleted User 89

that’s no different than my high school was 20 years ago
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mine too, I reckon.

Then again, my high school had a shooting there too.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:46 pm All the schools in my district within the last few years have:

Locks on all doors. Doors are locked at all times.

One way in. One way out. That one way in is locked at all time.

Video camera's at the entrance. You need to be buzzed in when school is in session.

The two HS have full time resource officers(policeman) on campus during school hours.

The 3 middle schools share 1 resource office.

It's not perfect. But it's something. And the schools do not look like prisons.
They are exactly like prisons--ordinary buildings, even secure ones like courthouses, don't usually have Sally Ports at the entrance. I worked for many years in secure buildings where one was buzzed in, but they were courts or some other kind of criminal justice facility. They also had bailiffs, who were about the same as your school resource officers, guys that couldn't cut it on the street and were shunted off to schools.

And that is still nothing--the Parkland shooter managed to get in and the wackadoodles who shoot up schools are perfectly capable of figuring out how to get into schools.

My personal hero is Maria Buttina, who did more for the destruction of the NRA than all the activists and have ever been able to accomplish. Strange that a Russian spy might be responsible for sensible gun laws in this country.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer is a marine combat veteran who served during the Vietnam war.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont think that was my question. Obviously the military has and needs guns. My question was about civilians.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought about carrying for protection in bear country, but then I realized I’m more afraid of the gun than the bear.