Another mass shooting

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:27 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm Circular firing squad.
And yet like clockwork, the usual goons are out with their coded language (simply put, it's a "thug" problem).
I think it was reported that neither person arrested had been in legal trouble before. Literally every early assumption has turned out to be incorrect.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:27 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm Circular firing squad.
And yet like clockwork, the usual goons are out with their coded language (simply put, it's a "thug" problem).
I think it was reported that neither person arrested had been in legal trouble before. Literally every early assumption has turned out to be incorrect.
The problem is it’s all a bad-faith veneer.

This is what happens every single time. This PARTICULAR shooting was not the chosen case, the unicorn, the Goldilocks event, the Mass Murder That Was Promised, the one that would just ever-so-perfectly check the boxes such that we might finally enact broadly-popular gun reforms.

Nah, THIS one isn’t that, so back to the wait.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Ironically one of the shooters was in legal trouble before for . . . Brandishing a weapon
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In! When a surprise is no surprise.

Or,

"What I was seeing wasn't what was happening at all..."
Jackson Browne

'Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see.'
Edgar Allen Poe

"'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening."
Donald Trump

(BTW, FUCK these pussies, these milquetoast posers. How many lives were lost while Wayne was pretending to be John Wayne, and selling it to many of the same fools who buy the Trump and Republican Big Lie bullshit? "Please Wayne, please Donnie, just tell us what we want to hear, and we'll gladly swallow it."

Unseen footage from a series of African hunting trips shows handlers and staff managing almost every aspect of LaPierre’s performance so that, later, the material could be hammered into narratives of masculine heroism for an N.R.A.-sponsored television show.

The Unmasking of the N.R.A.’s Wayne LaPierre | The New Yorker

*milque·toast
/ˈmilkˌtōst/
NORTH AMERICAN

noun

a timid or feeble person.
"Jennings plays him as something of a milquetoast"

adjective

feeble, insipid, or bland.
"a soppy, milquetoast composer"
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Old story but one that brings up my question of how do you differentiate between sanity and insanity?
On a side note, several of you have brought up and even boasted about how your father/parents introduced you to guns (and "gun safety") at a young age. I have felt torn about that. I was given a 22 at sleep away camp and taught how to respect, care for, load, and shoot, the weapon, when I was just 8 years old. Turned me on to guns - as an 8 year old.
Thankfully my father didn't own a gun. I'd like to think I wouldn't have shot him nor myself if he did a gun/s but who the heck knows? What I do know is because he didn't have a gun, I couldn't use one that was in house - and neither of us got shot by me.
Which brings me to.... If this girl hadn't been around guns, and didn't had them easily accessible to her, do you think she would have shot her father and herself?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -time.html
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

without reading, i’m confident that the “easily accessible” is the issue

we had shotguns (for pheasants and turkey), rifles (for deer), and a couple hand-me-down pistols (grandfather was a cop for a bit). all were locked in a massive gun safe and only my pops new where the key was

i currently own a 9 and a .22 revolver, both are stored in a biometric lock box that is programmed for me alone

edit: after looking at that article there is one obvious thing that seems to stand out…the fetishization. guns were never a prominent part of our lives. we didn’t brag about them; we didn’t take selfies with them to post on social media or on christmas cards; and we didn’t nerd out with all the excess tactical gear. we got them out to hunt, to clean, and maybe once a year just prior to hunting season to have some target practice

in other words, guns were never a defining aspect of my family
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:00 am without reading, i’m confident that the “easily accessible” is the issue

we had shotguns (for pheasants and turkey), rifles (for deer), and a couple hand-me-down pistols (grandfather was a cop for a bit). all were locked in a massive gun safe and only my pops new where the key was

i currently own a 9 and a .22 revolver, both are stored in a biometric lock box that is programmed for me alone

edit: after looking at that article there is one obvious thing that seems to stand out…the fetishization. guns were never a prominent part of our lives. we didn’t brag about them; we didn’t take selfies with them to post on social media or on christmas cards; and we didn’t nerd out with all the excess tactical gear. we got them out to hunt, to clean, and maybe once a year just prior to hunting season to have some target practice

in other words, guns were never a defining aspect of my family
Agreed. All the social media performance art by citizens and politicians has moved guns from a small part of some people's lives to a defining part of who they are. Kids just aren't mature enough to understand the finality of their decisions.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Yesterday afternoon in Independence MO. A Jackson County process server and three police officers shot.
The man charged in the Thursday fatal shooting of a civil process server and Independence police officer had recently lost his home and property over unpaid taxes.

As civil process server Drexel Mack attempted to serve eviction papers, a man at the home opened fire, authorities said Thursday. They identified that man Friday morning as Larry D. Acree, the home’s former owner. He has been charged two counts of first-degree murder, assault in the first degree for wounding a police officer and three additional counts of armed criminal action.

Three Independence police officers who arrived to help were also shot, one fatally.

Mack, 42, and Officer Cody Allen, 35, died at an Independence hospital. The two other officers were wounded but are expected to make full recoveries, police said.

Jackson County property records show that an Independence man purchased the home and property — valued in 2023 at $675,500 — and had just paid back taxes on it last week. The new owner wrote a personal check for $18,543 to cover taxes from 2022 and 2023.

According to the probable cause affidavit explaining the charges, a “notice to vacate” was posted in a conspicuous place on the premises on Feb. 23. It said the notice was a result of a request for a “writ of possession” that was completed Feb. 9.

Mack arrived at the home in the 1110 block of North Elsea Smith Road shortly after 1 p.m. Thursday. Independence police said that he was shot, leaving him wounded outside the home.

Acree was taken into custody and transported to an area hospital. Independence Police Chief Adam Dustman on Thursday would not discuss his injuries or any details about what happened at the home.

Larry D. Acree’s tax problems

Jackson County property records show Acree bought the 9-acre property in 2005. The three-bedroom house — which is 2,419 square feet — was built the same year, records indicate.

Court and property records also show that Acree has had financial troubles for years, filing bankruptcy in 1992 and again in 2004. In 2012, the Missouri Department of Revenue filed a tax lien on him, and a judgment was entered for $12,628.

His wages were garnished from GSM Corp., and the judgment was satisfied in 2016.

Records show Acree also owed back taxes from 2019 through 2023 of $1,150 for a livestock trailer, two utility trailers, a pickup, an SUV and two horse trailers.

In the summer of 2023, a roofing company issued a real estate lien against Acree’s property for $32,155.34.

Records show the new owner bought the property on Aug. 14, 2023, for $260,000 in a delinquent tax sale. The sale was confirmed on Nov. 20. On Feb. 22, records show the new owner paid the $18,543 in back taxes.

‘Simply devastated’

Two law enforcement communities in Jackson County are struggling with the loss of Allen and Mack.

Officer Allen “always had a smile” on his face, Dustman said.

“He was the guy that when you went out on a call he would be there and he would defuse things in a moment’s notice,” Dustman said Thursday. “He was right there to back you up.”

Presiding Jackson County Circuit Court Judge Jalilah Otto said in a release Thursday evening that the impact of the loss would linger.

“We are simply devastated that someone who is doing their job on behalf of the Court could be shot and killed,” Otto said. “We send our sincere condolences to the family of Mr. Mack, and the families of the Independence Police Department officers who also suffered tragedies today.”
Just another citizen standing their ground against oppressive government overreach.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Not to make light of the shooting, but if Mr Acree had registered as a candidate for high office as a member of the MAGA cult the rubes would have paid his back taxes and legal fees. Or he could just ignore paying taxes forever
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yikes, that's so terrifying. What a nightmare.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack at a popular concert venue complex near Moscow Friday that left at least 40 dead and more than 100 wounded after assailants stormed the venue with guns and incendiary devices.

The terror group took responsibility for the attack in a short statement published by ISIS-affiliated news agency Amaq on Telegram on Friday. The group did not provide evidence to support the claim...
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

115 now confirmed dead
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Horrific. I don't know what is wrong with people.
Defense. Rebounds.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Maybe they were just trying to get the Nazis? The US isn't perfect either you guys.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am Maybe they were just trying to get the Nazis? The US isn't perfect either you guys.
^^^ Perfect, Illy.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Mass stabbing in Rockford IL. Not sure if it's 9 or 11 stabbed but 4 are dead.
Apparently the dude just went around stabbing random people in a many block radius.
Former co-worker has a sister who works in a hospital there. She said all the docs and nurses got alerts to prepare for a mass casualty situation. The weren't told immediately what it was. Kind of hard to "prepare" when you don't know what you are preparing for.
I'm waiting for the inevitable sarcastic (and moronic) "ban knives" social media posts.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:35 pm Mass stabbing in Rockford IL. Not sure if it's 9 or 11 stabbed but 4 are dead.
Apparently the dude just went around stabbing random people in a many block radius.
Former co-worker has a sister who works in a hospital there. She said all the docs and nurses got alerts to prepare for a mass casualty situation. The weren't told immediately what it was. Kind of hard to "prepare" when you don't know what you are preparing for.
I'm waiting for the inevitable sarcastic (and moronic) "ban knives" social media posts.
But it's the guns???
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

What primary purpose does a gun have - other than to be used to put a bullet in person or an object?

I fully understand it takes a living being to pull a trigger and shoot another person but in regards to gunshot victims, yes - it's the guns. Without a gun, people can't use one to shoot someone else and - people don't get shot.

Now ask me about mental illness. I'll reply the same way I did in the two sentences above.