Another mass shooting

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

https://time.com/5201713/what-is-stop-s ... lence-act/

Whatever happened to the STOP School Violence Act of 2018 that was passed by the House? It seems to be stalled out in the Senate.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:12 am Has the problem our country has with bully culture been discussed yet?
I would love to see out nation not reward bullies with great jobs, positive attention and no consequences to their bully behavior. Unfortunately, being a blowhard bully was rewarded with a Presidency so to many, we have taught that being a bully doesn't seem to be a problem at all.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Exactly. Marjorie Taylor Green and Trump are horrible bullies. I suppose this means they were unloved as children. Which might lead as to encouraging fewer unwanted pregnancies.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Interesting article about the impact of the filibuster on legislation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... on/638425/

"The practical implications of these imbalances were dramatized by the last full-scale Senate debate over gun control. After the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut, the Senate in 2013 voted on a measure backed by President Barack Obama to impose background checks on all gun sales. Again assigning half of each state’s population to each of its senators, the 54 senators who supported the bill (plus then–Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who opposed it only for procedural reasons) represented 194 million Americans. The remaining senators who opposed the bill represented 118 million people. But because of the Senate’s filibuster rule, which requires the backing of 60 senators to move legislation to a vote, the 118 million prevailed.

The outcome likely would not differ today. Last year, the House passed legislation to expand and strengthen background checks. But it, too, has been blocked by a Republican filibuster in the Senate."
"The 20 states with the lowest rates of gun ownership have more than two and half times as many residents (about 192 million) as the states with the highest gun-ownership rates (about 69 million). But in the Senate, these two sets of states carry equal weight."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:39 am Exactly. Marjorie Taylor Green and Trump are horrible bullies. I suppose this means they were unloved as children. Which might lead as to encouraging fewer unwanted pregnancies.
Liz Cheney was nearly run out of office for standing up to Trump's bullying. The same people holding up common sense gun reform are the same people who are choosing to be represented by bullies or who support bullies.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Thank god no democrats act like bullies. 🙏

Some of you democrat wanna be bullies around here may be looking to change that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MSNBC is reporting that the dude crashed his stolen truck at 11:28, folks nearby came to see if he needed help and dude starts shooting at them. They call 911 at 11:30 to report guy with a long gun is heading to the school. 11:40 he gets into the school. At some point the cops show up and keep parents from rushing into the school to try and help their kids, cuz the cops ain't doing it.

Seems the conference with parents did not go well today. Cops gave no answers as to why they did nothing for an hour while little kids were getting shot and bleeding out.

I didn't think this could get uglier.
Defense. Rebounds.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Where do these nuts get their crazy ideas to go commit mass killings. I’ll tell ya where. The news media and social media. News about the murders are on ad nauseam giving people ideas about getting notoriety. Copycat killings to continue, something we’ll have to live with here in America.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, don't talk about it and it will go away.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

So since significant gun control (bans, etc) won't pass currently, does the left just throw their hands up and say "welp, this is all the pubs fault"? There are other things we can do that WILL pass. If the other measures stop a % of these, but not all, wouldn't that be worth it?

Seems like the dems ONLY want gun control. Pubs want NO gun control.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What will the pubs vote for? Nothing. Which is a vote for more dead school kids. Pubs want the next school shooter to be just as well armed as the last ones.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:45 pm What will the pubs vote for? Nothing. Which is a vote for more dead school kids. Pubs want the next school shooter to be just as well armed as the last ones.
It sounds like many/most of them would vote for funding to help make schools more secure, as well as for funding to have security at schools and training for that security.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:30 pm MSNBC is reporting that the dude crashed his stolen truck at 11:28, folks nearby came to see if he needed help and dude starts shooting at them. They call 911 at 11:30 to report guy with a long gun is heading to the school. 11:40 he gets into the school. At some point the cops show up and keep parents from rushing into the school to try and help their kids, cuz the cops ain't doing it.

Seems the conference with parents did not go well today. Cops gave no answers as to why they did nothing for an hour while little kids were getting shot and bleeding out.

https://twitter.com/andyspecht/status/1 ... UEgCn61gug
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:45 pm What will the pubs vote for? Nothing. Which is a vote for more dead school kids. Pubs want the next school shooter to be just as well armed as the last ones.
It sounds like many/most of them would vote for funding to help make schools more secure, as well as for funding to have security at schools and training for that security.
And do nothing to get to the root of the problem. Yeah, more money for gun manufacturers, more dead kids.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:30 pm MSNBC is reporting that the dude crashed his stolen truck at 11:28, folks nearby came to see if he needed help and dude starts shooting at them. They call 911 at 11:30 to report guy with a long gun is heading to the school. 11:40 he gets into the school. At some point the cops show up and keep parents from rushing into the school to try and help their kids, cuz the cops ain't doing it.

Not that it matters, as I agree the cops should have gone in sooner to get the injured kids, but it sounds like most/all of the killing happened soon after he entered the building. He barricaded himself into an adjoining classroom. Killed pretty much everyone in that adjoining room. Then trapped himself inside.

During this period where the cops weren't letting parents in, they were getting kids from the other classrooms out of the building.

I know you're all about vilifying the police whenever possible and not really worried about the actual details though.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm

Not that it matters, as I agree the cops should have gone in sooner to get the injured kids, but it sounds like most/all of the killing happened soon after he entered the building. He barricaded himself into an adjoining classroom. Killed pretty much everyone in that adjoining room. Then trapped himself inside.

During this period where the cops weren't letting parents in, they were getting kids from the other classrooms out of the building.

I know you're all about vilifying the police whenever possible and not really worried about the actual details though.
So much for that “running toward danger” reputation though, right!
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 pm
And do nothing to get to the root of the problem. Yeah, more money for gun manufacturers, more dead kids.
So since the Dems don't get exactly what they want they do nothing to help. It's gun control or NOTHING, even though they know they don't have the votes for gun bans or any sort of significant new gun laws right now. So dumb.

Glad my kid's school district already has 1 entry/multiple exit buildings, with locked doors that require buzzer entry w/ camera, and the admin office has interior/exterior cameras and overlooks the front door, and the local police already sit at the school during the day rather than clocking people for speeding tickets or eating donuts at the gas station because most of their kids go there.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 pm

Unfortunately, like you have said, these are often times some of the least trained (and lowest paid) law enforcement we have. Especially in a town of 16,000.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 pm
Overlander wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 pm

Unfortunately, like you have said, these are often times some of the least trained (and lowest paid) law enforcement we have. Especially in a town of 16,000.
Doesn’t matter. I just hope they had an ample supply of tacti-cool gear, black fingerless gloves and Oakley sunglasses on site