Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 863 »

seahawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:35 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am I think racial bias takes a back seat when the assault rifle's blasting. More than anything I think cops were shitting their pants scared.

what blows my mind is that among like 80 of them on the scene, there isn't a single badass. You'd think at least one among the bunch might have ran in there all amped up on that kinda Dirty Harry machismo cops pride themselves on the rest time, but nope.

Maybe there IS some question of whether/at what point a cop should or shouldn't have to run into such a dangerous situation with such a high likelihood of risk. But now, we're also weighing that against whether it's appropriate for cops to concede a whole classroom full of kids as collateral.
Are you paying attention to the news at all?

They thought it moved from an active shooter situation to a barricaded subject situation. There were cops in the hallways and other classrooms evacuating kids. They weren't all hiding in the parking lot.

They admitted today they made a mistake and they should have immediately breached the door because it should have still been considered an active shooter situation.
There were 19 law enforcement folks in the hall outside the shooter's room. Nineteen. Standing around waiting. That's while 10 year olds were calling 911 and begging them to send someone to rescue them. For 40 minutes.

You're the one not paying attention.
Believe me, I AM paying attention.

Did I say anything contrary to what you just posted? Nope. Nowhere.

I just watched the same news conference you did where they released/talked about all of that info. They admitted they fucked up by waiting. They explained why they were waiting. And why they were wrong for waiting after learning of the calls being made.

Qusdahl is acting like they were hiding outside beating up the parents and asking the hispanic ones for citizenship documentation so they could deport any illegal immigrants.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri May 27, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am I think racial bias takes a back seat when the assault rifle's blasting. More than anything I think cops were shitting their pants scared.

what blows my mind is that among like 80 of them on the scene, there isn't a single badass. You'd think at least one among the bunch might have ran in there all amped up on that kinda Dirty Harry machismo cops pride themselves on the rest time, but nope.

Maybe there IS some question of whether/at what point a cop should or shouldn't have to run into such a dangerous situation with such a high likelihood of risk. But now, we're also weighing that against whether it's appropriate for cops to concede a whole classroom full of kids as collateral.

They thought it moved from an active shooter situation to a barricaded subject situation. There were cops in the hallways and other classrooms evacuating kids. They weren't all hiding in the parking lot.

They admitted today they made a mistake and they should have immediately breached the door because it should have still been considered an active shooter situation.
There were 19 law enforcement folks in the hall outside the shooter's room. Nineteen. Standing around waiting. That's while 10 year olds were calling 911 and begging them to send someone to rescue them. For 40 minutes.

But seahawk, they NEEDED those keys!

Also, illy going full Back the Blue is right on brand.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:44 pm

But seahawk, they NEEDED those keys!

Also, illy going full Back the Blue is right on brand.
Pretty sure I haven't "Backed the Blue" anywhere in this thread. Some of us aren't here strictly to engage in hyperbole like your buddy Qusdahl.

The cops made mistakes. I have said so repeatedly. But exaggerating what happened or posting misleading half truths (or downright misinformation) is stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Who is reporting this? I haven't seen anything on it.
yeah, I've just seen some shit on the tweeter about it, so who knows, grain of salt with that one.

it could be some innocuous technical hiccup, or it could be some strategic or tactical move. or just some twitter rumor, but at least that chick has a blue check mark next to her name, right?
You should mention this when you post it.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so back to the comment on police encounters being more likely with unarmed individuals...there's prob some analysis of that around, right?

I was just thinking how quick cops can be to blast when it's like, a 12yo in a park with a squirt gun, or a guy holding a phone, or some other innocuous something that cops totally justify as warranting prompt lethal force, under the broad assumption that whatever they're holding might have been a gun.

but as soon as cops KNOW somebody's holding a gun - and a big scary assault-style gun, at that - they pace around wondering how to unlock the door.

I do wonder what the textbook tactical response here is and should have been

and whether lives would have been saved if a bunch of armored and armed SWAT busted in there with the same quick-twitch aggression cops exhibit at like a traffic stop for a broken taillight.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:49 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Who is reporting this? I haven't seen anything on it.
yeah, I've just seen some shit on the tweeter about it, so who knows, grain of salt with that one.

it could be some innocuous technical hiccup, or it could be some strategic or tactical move. or just some twitter rumor, but at least that chick has a blue check mark next to her name, right?
You should mention this when you post it.
my bad. I almost did, go figure
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:51 pm
I do wonder what the textbook tactical response here is and should have been
You should have been watching the press conference.

They said in an active shooter situation the response should have been to break the door down and shoot him until he was dead. No matter which cops arrived first or how many there were. You go in and kill the shooter as quickly as possible. That's what Texas Law Enforcement is trained to do in active shooter situations according to the guy giving the press conference (can't remember his exact title).

Barricaded subject situations are handled differently. The commanding officer incorrectly determined this was a barricaded subject situation one he locked himself in the adjoining classroom.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Maybe there IS some question of whether/at what point a cop should or shouldn't have to run into such a dangerous situation with such a high likelihood of risk. But now, we're also weighing that against whether it's appropriate for cops to concede a whole classroom full of kids as collateral damage
So complain that cops are too macho and then complain is that there wasn't any macho cops on site.

I think you might be trying to force this down our throat when it doesn't really apply here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

not trying to force anything down your throat.

but cops being too macho when they shouldn't be but then not being macho enough when they should is exactly what happened. How does that not apply here?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Qusdahl is acting like they were hiding outside beating up the parents and asking the hispanic ones for citizenship documentation so they could deport any illegal immigrants.
there's a video around of a parent laid out on the ground outside, allegedly cuz they got tackled by cops.

Also allegations of pepper spray used, tasers raised, one parent in handcuffs.
Deleted User 863

Good talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I haven't seen video of this but it isn't hard to imagine parents trying to get past the cops. Somebody needed to do something to help their kids. Cops gonna respond.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Cops gonna wait on keys.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:10 pm not trying to force anything down your throat.

but cops being too macho when they shouldn't be but then not being macho enough when they should is exactly what happened. How does that not apply here?
Hopefully we can just have a conversation about whether they did their jobs to the expectations/requirements or not and leave the macho nonsense out of it. Sounds like the Uvalde PD is getting grilled pretty hard right now. We'll see if their story holds up under investigation or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess if we're able to put all the "macho" talk aside, yea, there's definitely some question of what responsibility cops hold.

Over and over, they get a pass for blasting cuz they mistook like a squirt gun or a cell phone for an actual weapon.

But do they also get a pass for NOT blasting when "I thought he was holding a weapon" becomes yea we like totally knew he was holding a weapon?

especially when a classroom full of kids is at stake.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and re: the appropriate tactical response, maybe it's something other than just running in and blasting as quickly and aggressively as possible. When it's a classroom full of kids, that could be a lot of collateral damage too.

but I dunno if they did do any collateral damage assessment.

or, if they DID do any collateral damage assessment, it was cynically something like "we'd rather it be a bunch of kids than us pigs"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'll wait until more details come out as to the timeline to see if I think the cops failed to do something that they should have done. I really don't know who was where and when quite yet. We'll see.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 pm I'll wait until more details come out as to the timeline to see if I think the cops failed to do something that they should have done. I really don't know who was where and when quite yet. We'll see.
They’ve already admitted they made a mistake.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Go ahead…punk…make my day…and kindly unlock this door, pretty please?”

That’ll show em!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

never mind
Last edited by DrPepper on Fri May 27, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.