Another mass shooting

Ugh.
seahawk

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by seahawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 am What's the point of all that?

Just to point out the NRA tweets dumb things?
The point is to break the power of a tiny group of power hungry people in the NRA to control the politics of the nation.

And no matter how much you want to rationalize for the NRA, that will make a difference in keeping them from repealing rational gun control laws and passing other insane ones.
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if you think the mainstream media is overhyped fake news, check out NRA TV some time
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Anyone else watch Frontline’s “Documenting Hate: new American nazis” last night? On my station, they also showed “Documenting Hate: Charlottesville” last night.
Interesting stuff on the haters going underground, encouraging lone wolfs, recruiting those with military training etc.
I added more tourniquets and gunwound supplies to my stashes. Somebody in the show, maybe a police chief in Philadelphia, said that all the synagogues are now equipped with stuff to treat gun wounds. It is probably true everywhere.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... can-nazis/
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I saw that. I thought it was over-produced, the host talked about himself and was featured wayyyy too much, and the focus on one group made the problem actually seem smaller than it really is.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm Anyone else watch Frontline’s “Documenting Hate: new American nazis” last night? On my station, they also showed “Documenting Hate: Charlottesville” last night.
Interesting stuff on the haters going underground, encouraging lone wolfs, recruiting those with military training etc.
I added more tourniquets and gunwound supplies to my stashes. Somebody in the show, maybe a police chief in Philadelphia, said that all the synagogues are now equipped with stuff to treat gun wounds. It is probably true everywhere.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... can-nazis/

This "leaderless resistance" has been the strategy of the neo-Nazi radicals since the 1990s.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I wouldn’t think of disputing that. There was a point made that marching at Charlottesville was actually a really really dumb idea. With all the video and photos at the marches, a few members were easily identified, targeted, reprimanded, or lost jobs in some cases. It’s just better to be hidden underground to be able to inflict the most harm to the hated.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Need more emphasis on everyday gun violence.
Excluding most suicides, at least 15,549 people were killed by guns in the United States in 2017, according to data collected by Gun Violence Archive (GVA), a nonprofit organization that tracks media and law enforcement reports of shootings. Mass shootings ("only" 345).

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/gun-dea ... ease-2017/
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

No, we need more emphasis on investigating and destroying the NRA. Until they are reduced in power, you won't have any reasonable emphasis on anything gun related.

Let's hope that Maria Butina enters a plea and offers up all kinds of stuff on the NRA officers and directors.
Don't inject Lysol.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

dolomite wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:26 pm Need more emphasis on everyday gun violence.
Excluding most suicides, at least 15,549 people were killed by guns in the United States in 2017, according to data collected by Gun Violence Archive (GVA), a nonprofit organization that tracks media and law enforcement reports of shootings. Mass shootings ("only" 345).

Agreed. Mass shootings scare people more because they're random so it makes everyone, including media folk and rich folk, feel at risk. The others just happen in the low-income areas full of minorities so they don't cause panic amongst the middle and upper class.

Any suggestions on solutions?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Mjl wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:55 pm
dolomite wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:26 pm Need more emphasis on everyday gun violence.

Agreed. Mass shootings scare people more because they're random so it makes everyone, including media folk and rich folk, feel at risk. The others just happen in the low-income areas full of minorities so they don't cause panic amongst the middle and upper class.

Any suggestions on solutions?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bj34 ... in-america

I don't see a solution to generally stop people getting killed by firearms. You see, the guns are already out there. Lambasting the NRA would have little impact. Repealing the 2nd amendment would have little or no impact. Shootings can be however prevented in certain venues where guns are forbidden such as court rooms, airplanes, (and schools if someone could come up with a way to keep them out).
It is very difficult to buy a gun in Mexico,(only one place in Mexico City),but the homicide rate in Mexico is five times the U.S. No shootings in Japan because owning guns is simply not allowed, however the "cat is already out of the bag" here in the U.S.A. There are more guns than people in the U.S.A., and the "love-affair" people have with their guns is not likely to end any time soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdvnOH060Qg
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You said we should put more emphasis on it, figured that meant some solution was attainable.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Mjl wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 am You said we should put more emphasis on it, figured that meant some solution was attainable.
What I was getting at was when there is a mass shooting, it's in the news for a much longer time than the every day shootings for instance in Chicago, which don't seem to be news worthy. The numbers for mass shootings don't even come close to the overall total.

Crime in Chicago has been tracked by the Chicago Police Department's Bureau of Records since the beginning of the 20th century. The city's overall crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is higher than the US average. Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though the nation's crime rates remain near historic lows.[5][6][7] The reasons for the higher numbers in Chicago remain unclear. An article in The Atlantic detailed how researchers and analysts had come to no real consensus on the cause for the violence.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago

I don't think anyone has a solution to prevent people being killed with firearms, (except for the examples I gave in my previous post(re courtrooms, planes, schools).
Taylor Sheridan
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Hypersegregation. Neighborhoods align with different gangs. Combine that with the poverty in those areas and you have a recipe for violence.

Some of that segregation was caused by policies and racism many years ago. My suburb and a couple neighboring ones didn't allow blacks to own property until forced to do so in the 50s.

Unfortunately attempts to desegregate haven't gone so well.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

dolomite wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 am You said we should put more emphasis on it, figured that meant some solution was attainable.
What I was getting at was when there is a mass shooting, it's in the news for a much longer time than the every day shootings for instance in Chicago, which don't seem to be news worthy. The numbers for mass shootings don't even come close to the overall total.

Crime in Chicago has been tracked by the Chicago Police Department's Bureau of Records since the beginning of the 20th century. The city's overall crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is higher than the US average. Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though the nation's crime rates remain near historic lows.[5][6][7] The reasons for the higher numbers in Chicago remain unclear. An article in The Atlantic detailed how researchers and analysts had come to no real consensus on the cause for the violence.[8]

I don't think anyone has a solution to prevent people being killed with firearms, (except for the examples I gave in my previous post(re courtrooms, planes, schools).
If you stand on the side of the NRA, as you have above, it's obvious that you don't care the tiniest bit about people getting killed by guns every day, so why talk about Chicago, other than that it's where Obama is from and the ultra-racist types get off on bringing up Chicago whenever possible?

Chicago is large geographically, which means that it has fewer murders per capita than some other cities, but that doesn't matter to Trump and his mega-racist followers.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am
dolomite wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm

If you stand on the side of the NRA, as you have above, it's obvious that you don't care the tiniest bit about people getting killed by guns every day, so why talk about Chicago, other than that it's where Obama is from and the ultra-racist types get off on bringing up Chicago whenever possible?

Chicago is large geographically, which means that it has fewer murders per capita than some other cities, but that doesn't matter to Trump and his mega-racist followers.
Don't know why you think I'm on the "side" of the NRA. All I said was "lambasting the NRA would have little effect". I just mentioned Chicago as a random example of everyday gun violence. I could have mentioned Flint, L.A., New York City, New Jersey or any other city that has gun violence. My main point was that more is made of mass shootings as compared to everyday gun violence.

https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-dan ... rica-2018/
"The strictness of gun laws seems to play a limited role in violent crime rates, as the states with well over their share of cities in the top 100 (Table 1), like Florida, Michigan, Georgia, and Alabama, all have rather lax gun laws. However, there are outliers, as Illinois, the location of #1 East St. Louis (as well as Chicago, which has a very violent crime rate for its population, yet not high enough to place in the top 100) , and New Jersey, home of five cities in the top 100, have very strict gun laws.

​Although mass shootings are becoming increasingly common in American life, the violent crime and prevalence of gun murders plaguing America’s most dangerous cities aren’t best explained by lax gun laws, rates of gun ownership, or one-off rampages (although, these do have an effect), but rather, by income inequality.

Where there is a high poverty rate, and little opportunity to earn a decent wage, we find high homicide rates and a prevalence of other types of violent crime.
The American communities suffering the hardest at the hands of violent crime are also some of the most impoverished in the country, with some of the highest unemployment rates, to boot."
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Maybe because you parrot NRA talking points.

The NRA lobbies state legislatures to ease gun laws, especially when it comes to making sure that those convicted of domestic violence or committed to a mental hospital can rightfully have their guns back. Then, in the instance of a mass shooting, you'll repeat the NRA theme that "We have to do something about the mentally ill."

The good news is that the NRA is having real problems with liability insurers and may lose their NRA TV. Meanwhile, you'll continue to repeat their talking points that it's only about those dangerous people of color in cities. Of course, you and the NRA will cite the violence in Chicago despite strict gun laws, but not mention that 60% of the guns in Chicago are from out of state.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-r ... 16983.html

But, let's not study about guns and crime--you and the NRA have made sure the Feds won't allow the CDC to do that, much better to just repeat your meme that gun crimes are only about those poor kids of color.

Except when there's one of the many white guys killing people with automatic weapons on nightly TV.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 am Maybe because you parrot NRA talking points.

The NRA lobbies state legislatures to ease gun laws, especially when it comes to making sure that those convicted of domestic violence or committed to a mental hospital can rightfully have their guns back. Then, in the instance of a mass shooting, you'll repeat the NRA theme that "We have to do something about the mentally ill."

The good news is that the NRA is having real problems with liability insurers and may lose their NRA TV. Meanwhile, you'll continue to repeat their talking points that it's only about those dangerous people of color in cities. Of course, you and the NRA will cite the violence in Chicago despite strict gun laws, but not mention that 60% of the guns in Chicago are from out of state.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-r ... 16983.html

But, let's not study about guns and crime--you and the NRA have made sure the Feds won't allow the CDC to do that, much better to just repeat your meme that gun crimes are only about those poor kids of color.

Except when there's one of the many white guys killing people with automatic weapons on nightly TV.
It’s very puzzeling that you bring up the race card frequently.
Why be devisive?
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

It’s very puzzeling that you bring up the race card frequently. Why be devisive?

Actually, I just talked about the NRA--you're the one who went right to the winger racist theme, It's About Chicago and inner cities.

Why are you being divisive?
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The NRA Just Reported Losing $55 Million in Income

The gun-rights group has its biggest champion in the White House. But its financial situation has worsened in the age of Trump
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas