Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 89 »

or as an unborn fetus...
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That's just rhetoric appealing to emotion at the expense of rationality.

If she's getting in a car to go to school, there's a far better chance she'll die en route.

And what laws do you want to see enacted that would have prevented school shootings?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 pm That's just rhetoric appealing to emotion at the expense of rationality.

If she's getting in a car to go to school, there's a far better chance she'll die en route.

And what laws do you want to see enacted that would have prevented school shootings?
Thoughts and prayers.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Feral wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:36 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 pm That's just rhetoric appealing to emotion at the expense of rationality.

Thoughts and prayers.
My point exactly.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Thoughts and prayers.
Uhh, isn't that why research is conducted, to see how to identify the shooters and figure out what might prevent future school shootings?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

The only thing that will completely prevent future school shootings is to not have children go to school or eliminate all guns. Neither are going to happen. As horrible as it is, we will continue to have school shootings as long as there are schools and guns. No matter if potential shooters are identified or not.
You may be able to figure out a way to keep guns out of schools but you'll never be able to figure out a way to keep kids completely safe going in and out of schools, on playgrounds, in parking lots, etc.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Thoughts and prayers.
My point exactly.
Oh ouchie!

Solid "point", Mjl!

Because gun owners like me who are for universal background checks, limits to magazine sizes, military gun sale restrictions, removing the ban on the CDC conducting research on gun deaths, removing bans on physicians discussing gun safety in the home with their patients, against arming teachers, etc., are unreasonable and the problem, right?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what about all that "knee-jerk politicizing" in other countries such as swiftly enacted reactionary regulations and buybacks that seem to...uh, maybe prevent more mass shootings?
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Feral wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:35 am
Mjl wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Thoughts and prayers.
My point exactly.
Oh ouchie!

Solid "point", Mjl!

Because gun owners like me who are for universal background checks, limits to magazine sizes, military gun sale restrictions, removing the ban on the CDC conducting research on gun deaths, removing bans on physicians discussing gun safety in the home with their patients, against arming teachers, etc., are unreasonable and the problem, right?
You're not the problem nor unreasonable. Unless you decide to go and shoot people simply because you own a gun and you have the ability to do as such if you so choose. You're also not the solution. There isn't one. Or at least there isn't one that we will ever see in our lifetime.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Paul1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 am The only thing that will completely prevent future school shootings is to not have children go to school or eliminate all guns. Neither are going to happen. As horrible as it is, we will continue to have school shootings as long as there are schools and guns. No matter if potential shooters are identified or not.
You may be able to figure out a way to keep guns out of schools but you'll never be able to figure out a way to keep kids completely safe going in and out of schools, on playgrounds, in parking lots, etc.
I was actually addressing the prohibition on research into gun violence, which I believe could be helpful. I used to work with kids who'd spent some time in juvenile jails and separately at the height of the crack epidemic, had 3 kids out of an employment class of 25 disadvantaged, out of school kids who shot and killed someone.

Many years later, I looked at some of the research by individuals into the various school massacre killers. What seemed apparent is that many of them said they were thinking of doing something like they eventually did. That may not be true of adults, like the guy in Las Vegas, but adolescents may be different. Schools, mental health people, probation officers, parole officers and courts profile kids all the time. It might be helpful for the professionals who deal with kids that are practically waving a sign that says, "I am a potential school massacre killer," to have profiles of likely killers.

Of course, it would also be helpful to have people with a forensic background of having worked with seriously adjudicated adolescents or in prisons have some sort of certification, instead of the community mental health types who are over their heads when predicting violent behaviors.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I still say if you don't want school shootings then keep guns out of schools, since the guns are already in existence. (like somebody is going to dig a pit and bury all of 'em.)
I predict that all this jibberjabber about school shootings will soon die down and pick right up again after the next one. Sad in a way.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

So good to know that to you the deaths of children are just "jibberjabber."
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 pm So good to know that to you the deaths of children are just "jibberjabber."
Oh shame on me. So sanctimonious.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Yes, dolomite, when it involves the shooting deaths of children and someone who ridicules concerns about children living in fear of being killed at school and children being slaughtered in their classrooms, I can be accused of being sanctimonious. Tough.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 am Yes, dolomite, when it involves the shooting deaths of children and someone who ridicules concerns about children living in fear of being killed at school and children being slaughtered in their classrooms, I can be accused of being sanctimonious. Tough.
It's not difficult to understand that to prevent school shootings you have to keep guns out of the schoolrooms.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

dolomite wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:35 pm
seahawk wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 am Yes, dolomite, when it involves the shooting deaths of children and someone who ridicules concerns about children living in fear of being killed at school and children being slaughtered in their classrooms, I can be accused of being sanctimonious. Tough.
It's not difficult to understand that to prevent school shootings you have to keep guns out of the schoolrooms.
Nor should it be complicated that by reducing the number of high ammo capacity guns, gun deaths would be in lower numbers.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm
dolomite wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:35 pm
Nor should it be complicated that by reducing the number of high ammo capacity guns, gun deaths would be in lower numbers.

Options
Attachments

Disable BBCode
Disable smilies
Not trying to be a smart ass here, just playing devils advocate. It may or not be true that by reducing the number of those types of guns, school shootings would decrease. However there is another factor to consider, e.g. how do you get inside the mind of an assassin to prevent a school shooting? Since there are so many (thousands, millions?)of these high capacity ammo guns already in private hands, how WOULD these guns be eliminated or their numbers reduced? Sure, you can stop people from legally selling them, but the black market could still fill the needs, (gun running can be a lucrative occupation till you get caught). I think we would like to see zero deaths, not just a lower number.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Better mental health care could help, but then, your hero pretty much gutted that plan.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

We'd feel better about school shootings if they were done with pistols?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

If Sandy Hook doesn't move the gun control needle, nothing will.

Price of second amendment is nearly 40,000 lives a year.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.