Another mass shooting

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by KUTradition »

Last edited by KUTradition on Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:54 pm I didn't read TRad's comment as forgiveness; just a "move on with it, this is dumb".
yes

but everybody’s got to get there pound of flesh…multiple times even

we’ve all posted “dumb” shit (yes, even DC), but few of us man up and apologize when that shit is called out as inappropriate or offensive
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have noticed an unwillingness on the right to acknowledge right wing violence, tempting them to overreact when an innocuous comment can be trolled. But there is still an epidemic of right wing violence. Randy is even able to feel liberated enough to repost nonsequitors. Different lunatic than Aryan Nation lunatic this time. Great. Kids with guns.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

interesting comment. I'll save that for another time
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm I have noticed an unwillingness on the right to acknowledge right wing violence, tempting them to overreact when an innocuous comment can be trolled. But there is still an epidemic of right wing violence. Randy is even able to feel liberated enough to repost nonsequitors. Different lunatic than Aryan Nation lunatic this time. Great. Kids with guns.
OMFG
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm I have noticed an unwillingness on the right to acknowledge right wing violence, tempting them to overreact when an innocuous comment can be trolled. But there is still an epidemic of right wing violence. Randy is even able to feel liberated enough to repost nonsequitors. Different lunatic than Aryan Nation lunatic this time. Great. Kids with guns.
I have not posted one single thing in relation to this
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:38 pm
OMFG
mislabeling people to fit a narrative.....innocuous comment....good stuff. The people correcting it are the trolls.

quite the apology, really took accountability.

sheesh, there is no path for wide spread return to the middle available is there?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:42 pm social media is the armpit of society, if i’m being generous
Ain't that the truth.

It's got this country all fucked up.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So the shooters were kids in a dispute?

It's pretty sad that it being a dispute is somewhat comforting. As opposed to just being a killing mission like so many of these shootings nowadays.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:16 am So the shooters were kids in a dispute?

It's pretty sad that it being a dispute is somewhat comforting. As opposed to just being a killing mission like so many of these shootings nowadays.
^^^

Whew! Praise Allah! It's not so bad after all!

It's only a couple of kids opening fire with automatic weapons in a crowd of tens of thousands resulting in one dead and 22 wounded!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:53 am
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:16 am So the shooters were kids in a dispute?

^^^

Whew! Praise Allah! It's not so bad after all!

It's only a couple of kids opening fire with automatic weapons in a crowd of tens of thousands resulting in one dead and 22 wounded!
💔
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is going to be quite a test on where Kansas City is on some things. Because I can tell you, for sure, what the historical reaction would be.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Need to confront the monster that is the gun lobby.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:48 am This is going to be quite a test on where Kansas City is on some things. Because I can tell you, for sure, what the historical reaction would be.
KC is going to fail this test just like the rest of America does every single time. Absolutely nothing will come of this except for another funeral for a promising young person gone from the earth too soon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:48 am This is going to be quite a test on where Kansas City is on some things. Because I can tell you, for sure, what the historical reaction would be.
KC is going to fail this test just like the rest of America does every single time. Absolutely nothing will come of this except for another funeral for a promising young person gone from the earth too soon.
I wasn't clear. If Sandy Hook and Uvalde didn't move the needle from a well-regulate-the-militia standpoint, this won't either.

I am speaking more toward the specific offramp KC and Missouri politicians and observers will find as an excuse to do nothing. And I am very concerned, based on specific aspects of KC history and culture, that they're going to pick out the ugliest card in the deck.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:41 am
I wasn't clear. If Sandy Hook and Uvalde didn't move the needle from a well-regulate-the-militia standpoint, this won't either.

I am speaking more toward the specific offramp KC and Missouri politicians and observers will find as an excuse to do nothing. And I am very concerned, based on specific aspects of KC history and culture, that they're going to pick out the ugliest card in the deck.
Gun owners will bitch about Dem mayors and minority gangs and pretend like glorifying the biggest, baddest weaponry you can get your hands on to "defend yourself" has nothing to do with what happened. Politicians will pretend like their Christmas cards of their children hoisting massive weapons have nothing to do with creating a culture where even kids should be viewed as bad asses if they have a big fucking gun in their hands.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/missouri-s ... d/38606086

Wash, rinse repeat.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 am

Gun owners will bitch about Dem mayors and minority gangs and pretend like glorifying the biggest, baddest weaponry you can get your hands on to "defend yourself" has nothing to do with what happened. Politicians will pretend like their Christmas cards of their children hoisting massive weapons have nothing to do with creating a culture where even kids should be viewed as bad asses if they have a big fucking gun in their hands.

Wash, rinse repeat.
~ 800 LEOs, i.e., "good guys with a gun" in the area, and yet...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50 am

Wash, rinse repeat.
That doesn't bug me as much. If the shooters WERE there with the express intent to shoot as many people as possible, I feel like the pure volume of LEO on site would have helped prevent that. I don't think "good guys with a gun" prevents confrontation shootings like this appears to be at all.

It's more that gun owners seem to feel like everyone else is responsible for the culture issues but them. I have heard about how less religion, less traditional family models, less respect for others is all responsible for this. But I haven't heard jack shit about how all of the messaging about how we NEED these guns to defend ourselves from bad guys affects people who are around other bad guys a lot and how the NEED to defend our homes has morphed into just the need to defend our person and our egos.

The same damn people blaming it all on culture are out in social media feeds daring someone to try to come take their gun from them as if any affront to them will result in the offender getting shot and killed. Uh, HELLO?!?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50 am

Wash, rinse repeat.
That doesn't bug me as much. If the shooters WERE there with the express intent to shoot as many people as possible, I feel like the pure volume of LEO on site would have helped prevent that. I don't think "good guys with a gun" prevents confrontation shootings like this appears to be at all.

It's more that gun owners seem to feel like everyone else is responsible for the culture issues but them. I have heard about how less religion, less traditional family models, less respect for others is all responsible for this. But I haven't heard jack shit about how all of the messaging about how we NEED these guns to defend ourselves from bad guys affects people who are around other bad guys a lot and how the NEED to defend our homes has morphed into just the need to defend our person and our egos.

The same damn people blaming it all on culture are out in social media feeds daring someone to try to come take their gun from them as if any affront to them will result in the offender getting shot and killed. Uh, HELLO?!?
This is a thoughtful post. I think - and this not a criticism of anything you said, but an expansion - our thinking on all this stuff is somewhat disordered.

At bottom, what has happened is that millions of us have come to see guns in not just a practical way, but also a totemic way; a tangible representation of the concepts of freedom and liberty.

That is what informs this thing that many do, where the problem is anything but the gun, and the solution is to address anything but the gun. Admitting that the gun is the problem, and acting to address that problem, crosses a line that is, to people who think that way, as obvious and clear and bright to them as how I see apportioning blame for the war on Ukraine.

So what do you do? This is, like so many other things I would broadly categorize under the culture wars header, clearly something that is more an article of faith than an article of fact.

What do you do when a meaningful portion of the country genuinely holds what amount to religious beliefs on things that are, to a majority, secular?

We're in a very nasty spot.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Fish should have a nationwide blog, but its success would hinge on nationwide education keeping pace with his metaphors and allusions. But fine writing.