Another mass shooting

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by japhy »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am It's more that gun owners seem to feel like everyone else is responsible for the culture issues but them. I have heard about how less religion, less traditional family models, less respect for others is all responsible for this. But I haven't heard jack shit about how all of the messaging about how we NEED these guns to defend ourselves from bad guys affects people who are around other bad guys a lot and how the NEED to defend our homes has morphed into just the need to defend our person and our egos.

The same damn people blaming it all on culture are out in social media feeds daring someone to try to come take their gun from them as if any affront to them will result in the offender getting shot and killed. Uh, HELLO?!?
bingo!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:49 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50 am

~ 800 LEOs, i.e., "good guys with a gun" in the area, and yet...
That doesn't bug me as much. If the shooters WERE there with the express intent to shoot as many people as possible, I feel like the pure volume of LEO on site would have helped prevent that. I don't think "good guys with a gun" prevents confrontation shootings like this appears to be at all.

It's more that gun owners seem to feel like everyone else is responsible for the culture issues but them. I have heard about how less religion, less traditional family models, less respect for others is all responsible for this. But I haven't heard jack shit about how all of the messaging about how we NEED these guns to defend ourselves from bad guys affects people who are around other bad guys a lot and how the NEED to defend our homes has morphed into just the need to defend our person and our egos.

The same damn people blaming it all on culture are out in social media feeds daring someone to try to come take their gun from them as if any affront to them will result in the offender getting shot and killed. Uh, HELLO?!?
This is a thoughtful post. I think - and this not a criticism of anything you said, but an expansion - our thinking on all this stuff is somewhat disordered.

At bottom, what has happened is that millions of us have come to see guns in not just a practical way, but also a totemic way; a tangible representation of the concepts of freedom and liberty.

That is what informs this thing that many do, where the problem is anything but the gun, and the solution is to address anything but the gun. Admitting that the gun is the problem, and acting to address that problem, crosses a line that is, to people who think that way, as obvious and clear and bright to them as how I see apportioning blame for the war on Ukraine.

So what do you do? This is, like so many other things I would broadly categorize under the culture wars header, clearly something that is more an article of faith than an article of fact.

What do you do when a meaningful portion of the country genuinely holds what amount to religious beliefs on things that are, to a majority, secular?

We're in a very nasty spot.
It all ties back to my belief that many people are so wrapped up in defining themselves on social media that they get carried away. All the posturing and posing with guns and the big talk about "come and get them" and the "I own this to defend myself, my home and my family" just gets amplified to where it adds to this gun culture notion that some people feel that having and using a gun is what you need to do to defend yourself from anything you don't like or that harms you in any perceived way. It's insanity.

To me, it's alarming that someone may have seen these kids carrying those guns in the hours leading up to the shooting and just said "welp, it's Missouri where it's perfectly LEGAL for those kids to carry those guns here so no biggie I guess". What the fuck are we doing, America?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:58 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am

That doesn't bug me as much. If the shooters WERE there with the express intent to shoot as many people as possible, I feel like the pure volume of LEO on site would have helped prevent that. I don't think "good guys with a gun" prevents confrontation shootings like this appears to be at all.

It's more that gun owners seem to feel like everyone else is responsible for the culture issues but them. I have heard about how less religion, less traditional family models, less respect for others is all responsible for this. But I haven't heard jack shit about how all of the messaging about how we NEED these guns to defend ourselves from bad guys affects people who are around other bad guys a lot and how the NEED to defend our homes has morphed into just the need to defend our person and our egos.

This is a thoughtful post. I think - and this not a criticism of anything you said, but an expansion - our thinking on all this stuff is somewhat disordered.

At bottom, what has happened is that millions of us have come to see guns in not just a practical way, but also a totemic way; a tangible representation of the concepts of freedom and liberty.

That is what informs this thing that many do, where the problem is anything but the gun, and the solution is to address anything but the gun. Admitting that the gun is the problem, and acting to address that problem, crosses a line that is, to people who think that way, as obvious and clear and bright to them as how I see apportioning blame for the war on Ukraine.

So what do you do? This is, like so many other things I would broadly categorize under the culture wars header, clearly something that is more an article of faith than an article of fact.

What do you do when a meaningful portion of the country genuinely holds what amount to religious beliefs on things that are, to a majority, secular?

It all ties back to my belief that many people are so wrapped up in defining themselves on social media that they get carried away. All the posturing and posing with guns and the big talk about "come and get them" and the "I own this to defend myself, my home and my family" just gets amplified to where it adds to this gun culture notion that some people feel that having and using a gun is what you need to do to defend yourself from anything you don't like or that harms you in any perceived way. It's insanity.

To me, it's alarming that someone may have seen these kids carrying those guns in the hours leading up to the shooting and just said "welp, it's Missouri where it's perfectly LEGAL for those kids to carry those guns here so no biggie I guess". What the fuck are we doing, America?
And so, next time, it'll be a ticketed (and security-screened) thing for 75,000 at Arrowhead. Which of course will only serve to exacerbate some things.

The whole thing is, as you put it, insanity.

We are eagerly subjecting ourselves to violence and danger that will cause everyone to go back to and stay in their corners. Stifling even the opportunity to live, work, play, celebrate and mourn across demographic and ideological lines.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:58 am

We are eagerly subjecting ourselves to violence and danger that will cause everyone to go back to and stay in their corners. Stifling even the opportunity to live, work, play, celebrate and mourn across demographic and ideological lines.
Exactly how Bannon drew it up.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Those little shits who fired their guns at the Chiefs celebration need to be tried as adults and punished as such.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:40 am Those little shits who fired their guns at the Chiefs celebration need to be tried as adults and punished as such.
That is likely the path this is headed. I assume they are just going through the tedious process of getting that formalized.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm
dolomite wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:40 am Those little shits who fired their guns at the Chiefs celebration need to be tried as adults and punished as such.
That is likely the path this is headed. I assume they are just going through the tedious process of getting that formalized.
Probably going through literally thousands of sources of video.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.kmbc.com/article/olathe-man ... -autopilot

The guy people rushed to label either an "illegal immigrant" or a "skinhead". Got arrested for being half as shitfaced as Travis Kelce.

Just goes to show what our own biases do to us. Some people on the right screamed "illegal immigrant while some on the left screamed "skinhead". Some see what they expect to see without waiting for context or additional details. Just confirms how worthless and potentially dangerous eyewitness testimony can be.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Meanwhile in Burnsville MN.

2 cops and a paramedic dead in a domestic violence call.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/hea ... -incident/
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:44 am https://www.kmbc.com/article/olathe-man ... -autopilot

The guy people rushed to label either an "illegal immigrant" or a "skinhead". Got arrested for being half as shitfaced as Travis Kelce.

Just goes to show what our own biases do to us. Some people on the right screamed "illegal immigrant while some on the left screamed "skinhead". Some see what they expect to see without waiting for context or additional details. Just confirms how worthless and potentially dangerous eyewitness testimony can be.
I didnt hear anyone on here yelling immigrant. Only 1 guy on here was yelling skinhead....

but he had red on! at a Chiefs rally yo!
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I said the guy being dragged away from a murder scene with a shaved head looked like that brand. Later shots showed a pissed off guy who was having a really bad day in an unbranded red jump suit without the yellow. If you sneak into a Vikings rally, I suppose you wear purple. Anyway, bad simile.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:48 pm I said the guy being dragged away from a murder scene with a shaved head looked like that brand. Later shots showed a pissed off guy who was having a really bad day in an unbranded red jump suit without the yellow. If you sneak into a Vikings rally, I suppose you wear purple. Anyway, bad simile.
Until you pull all the nails out of the fingers on one hand, or toes on one foot, I'll continue to sequester your posts in the handy, but under used, Relatively, somewhat blocked and ignored, area of the site.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Hey, I can cut Sparko some slack. There were A LOT of things being shown and said - which may have had a bearing on his assumption.
Heck, even Republican Congressman Tim Burchett made a really good - bad assumption.
Piece of shit that he is, I'm not sure what if any legal action can be taken against Burchett but I sure hope the the guy faces some sort of repercussions - other than getting the shit slammed out of him on social media.

https://twitter.com/timburchett/status/ ... 2752157972
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

As with all of this...it wasn't Sparky's post. It was the presumptions behind it.

Which he has no remorse about whatsoever.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

2 police officers, 1 firefighter dead after responding to domestic incident in Minnesota

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/18/us/b ... index.html
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:51 pm 2 police officers, 1 firefighter dead after responding to domestic incident in Minnesota

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/18/us/b ... index.html
If only there had been, oh, I don't know, 800 other LEOs there, this wouldn't have happened?

Thoughts and prayers,

dammit
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:12 pm As with all of this...it wasn't Sparky's post. It was the presumptions behind it.

Won't lie, at first I thought you and Tdub were joking.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:58 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:12 pm As with all of this...it wasn't Sparky's post. It was the presumptions behind it.

sigh.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 pm

sigh.
Without wasting any more time on this subject to go back and look, is there any chance the amount of umbrage expressed by you and DC for going on days now due to a comment by Sparko approaches or exceeds the amount of outrage you've expressed about the shooting of 22 and killing of 1 itself?
Because, it's beginning to seem like it.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:24 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 pm

sigh.
Without wasting any more time on this subject to go back and look, is there any chance the amount of umbrage expressed by you and DC for going on days now due to a comment by Sparko approaches or exceeds the amount of outrage you've expressed about the shooting of 22 and killing of 1 itself?
Because, it's beginning to seem like it.
they're totally different entities.

it's just. crazy hypocrisy from all sides in everything these days. Makes me long for days long gone, perhaps it was better then, perhaps I was just more oblivious. Either way. It's a symptom of a growing illness.
Just Ledoux it