Another mass shooting

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 am https://fightingchancesolutions.com/pag ... room-doors

https://everytownresearch.org/report/pr ... n-schools/

https://www.securitymagazine.com/articl ... s-on-doors

Here's a few that says door locks at Oxford High may have saved lives...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theoak ... lives/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsna ... lives/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... pus-safety

https://www.windowfilmdepot.com/blog/pr ... ents-safe/

https://gdba.com/prevent-school-shootin ... ions-gdba/

https://nightlock.com/how-door-locks-have-saved-lives/

While our politicians sit and do mostly nothing about reducing the amount of guns/ease of access to guns/bans on weapons only needed to kill lots of people in a hurry, I will support school districts trying to use other ways to help the problem and save kids lives. You are welcome to go to your school board meetings and give your worthless opinion about how all these measures don't work at all. I think they help. At minimum maybe they help kids "feel" more safe, which matters too. Kids are scared to go to school. My children LOVE the adult volunteers that greet them in the drop off and pick up lines each day.

We also have an app so that the kids don't all get released at once. I "check in" that I am in the line, and then they are released. That was partly due to covid and partly do to avoiding large crowds during pick up, which may be a target if the would be shooter knows they can't get past locked doors, cameras, buzzer entry, etc.
It's great that the lockable doors, when used, are being seen as effective. I hope they invest in those as well as develop policies on access management such as no allowance of propping open doors or a requirement that a security officer or volunteer be at any non-standard opening of a door outside to ensure that it is secured closed once usage is completed.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

They aren't even able to prop open doors in my kid's school. There are buzzers that notify the office and cameras on every door (as well as throughout the building) that are on a huge wall in the admin office.

I agree with all your comments about less guns, background checks, mental health, etc etc etc. It's not either or. I don't care how much it costs. Priority #1. More than foreign aid. More than unemployment assistance. More than defense spending.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:05 am They aren't even able to prop open doors in my kid's school. There are buzzers that notify the office and cameras on every door (as well as throughout the building) that are on a huge wall in the admin office.

I agree with all your comments about less guns, background checks, mental health, etc etc etc. It's not either or. I don't care how much it costs. Priority #1. More than foreign aid. More than unemployment assistance. More than defense spending.
Certainly more than defense spending. We could strip $10 billion off of that and install a lot of what is being discussed here. But there are a lot of GOP movers and shakers sucking on the teet of the Defense Department that will not allow that.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Help me understand how walking up to a locked door, pushing a buzzer, and being let in is going to be an effective way to stop this.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 pm Help me understand how walking up to a locked door, pushing a buzzer, and being let in is going to be an effective way to stop this.
Nothing will "stop" whatever "this" is.

Those measures prevent, reduce, or minimize the damage. It's just a part of what needs to happen. A small part.

The only way to "stop" "this" is for there to be no more guns.

Do you think they shouldn't have locked doors, cameras, and buzzer entry? What does that hurt?

At my kids school they don't let you in if they don't know who you are and what you're there for.

And even the gun control measures, which I agree with, only stop the legal purchase. They don't stop kids who get them illegally or who steal them from their parents.

Seems like each side spends more time focusing on the things wrong with the other side's ideas than either side spends on solutions or getting things done.

You're qualified, if you had school aged kids would you volunteer to be at their schools a few days a week if you thought it "might", even the slightest chance, save one of their lives or even one of the lives of their classmates? I bet you would.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ And even the gun control measures, which I agree with, only stop the legal purchase. They don't stop kids who get them illegally or who steal them from their parents.”

This would be EXPONENTIALLY more difficult than getting your first credit card and buying two rifles right after your 18th birthday.

An 18 year old isn’t going to have a connection to illegal weapons, say, 10 years after those weapons became illegal:
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:58 pm “ And even the gun control measures, which I agree with, only stop the legal purchase. They don't stop kids who get them illegally or who steal them from their parents.”

This would be EXPONENTIALLY more difficult than getting your first credit card and buying two rifles right after your 18th birthday.

An 18 year old isn’t going to have a connection to illegal weapons, say, 10 years after those weapons became illegal:
Agree 100%. Especially with the first 2 parts. We need to ban certain kinds of guns.

We seem to only talk about shootings that kill kids in terms of white kids or schools. There are also aspects of this that should include inner cities. We need to help prevent those too. Those frequently involve illegal guns.

No easy fix to any of it. Going to take time. Going to take money. Going to take compromise. Going to take changing of the culture.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:59 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 pm Help me understand how walking up to a locked door, pushing a buzzer, and being let in is going to be an effective way to stop this.

Those measures prevent, reduce, or minimize the damage. It's just a part of what needs to happen. A small part.

Do you think they shouldn't have locked doors, cameras, and buzzer entry? What does that hurt?

At my kids school they don't let you in if they don't know who you are and what you're there for.

And even the gun control measures, which I agree with, only stop the legal purchase. They don't stop kids who get them illegally or who steal them from their parents.

Seems like each side spends more time focusing on the things wrong with the other side's ideas than either side spends on solutions or getting things done.

You're qualified, if you had school aged kids would you volunteer to be at their schools a few days a week if you thought it "might", even the slightest chance, save one of their lives or even one of the lives of their classmates? I bet you would.
You keep getting hung up on this whole "my side vs. the other side" shtick, ignoring the fact that virtually everyone here has been supportive of doing things that "both sides" are asking for; changes to access to guns, changes to facilities, changes to mental health support and reporting, programs for at-risk teens, increased background checks, etc... the problem is that the people that matter (Congress) aren't doing that.

But I truly believe that decreasing access to these types of guns is the most impactful action that can be taken. Every single 18 year old in America knows where a sporting goods store is that sells guns and ammo. Not every single one knows where they could get an illegal gun. Bumping the age up to 21 for the weapons in question,requiring more things like mental health reports and school related issues to be reported as red flags against gun purchases and getting rid of high capacity magazines feels like it should be the first measures taken.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:17 pm
pdub wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:58 pm “ And even the gun control measures, which I agree with, only stop the legal purchase. They don't stop kids who get them illegally or who steal them from their parents.”

Agree 100%. Especially with the first 2 parts. We need to ban certain kinds of guns.

We seem to only talk about shootings that kill kids in terms of white kids or schools. There are also aspects of this that should include inner cities. We need to help prevent those too. Those frequently involve illegal guns.

No easy fix to any of it. Going to take time. Going to take money. Going to take compromise. Going to take changing of the culture.
Yes, I would like to see measures change to curb illegal gun sales in this country as well but those measures should not be tied to these from a legal perspective. They are completely unrelated items.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:24 pm

You keep getting hung up on this whole "my side vs. the other side" shtick, ignoring the fact that virtually everyone here has been supportive of doing things that "both sides" are asking for; changes to access to guns, changes to facilities, changes to mental health support and reporting, programs for at-risk teens, increased background checks, etc... the problem is that the people that matter (Congress) aren't doing that.

But I truly believe that decreasing access to these types of guns is the most impactful action that can be taken. Every single 18 year old in America knows where a sporting goods store is that sells guns and ammo. Not every single one knows where they could get an illegal gun. Bumping the age up to 21 for the weapons in question,requiring more things like mental health reports and school related issues to be reported as red flags against gun purchases and getting rid of high capacity magazines feels like it should be the first measures taken.
Sorry for not being clear, when I am saying the "other side" stuff I am predominantly speaking of the politicians in congress (mainly the senate).

I am aware the vast majority of us regular folks agree about a whole hell of a lot of this.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:17 pm

Yes, I would like to see measures change to curb illegal gun sales in this country as well but those measures should not be tied to these from a legal perspective. They are completely unrelated items.
Yes. Nobody said they should be tied together.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

And for fuck's sake, can someone please sue some of these social media platforms out of existence?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/yubo- ... index.html

This Uvalde shooter has been threatening to rap and kill girls as well as to shoot up school for moths on a social media platform Yubo. None of it resulted in any permanent ban on the app formal complaint or notification to any law enforcement. Threatening to rape and murder people is against the law and is not covered in "freedum of speech".
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:33 pm And for fuck's sake, can someone please sue some of these social media platforms out of existence?

This Uvalde shooter has been threatening to rap and kill girls as well as to shoot up school for moths on a social media platform Yubo. None of it resulted in any permanent ban on the app formal complaint or notification to any law enforcement. Threatening to rape and murder people is against the law and is not covered in "freedum of speech".
Having them out of existence might not help either. In fact, the app itself could have been the avenue to stop this one before it even happened.

My kid's school district tells the students and parents constantly "hear/see something, say something", don't ignore it until it is too late.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Threatening to rape and murder people, in general, isn’t against the law nor should it be.

Threatening an individual specifically should.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Edit: If I did, I would not be armed
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:45 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:33 pm And for fuck's sake, can someone please sue some of these social media platforms out of existence?

Having them out of existence might not help either. In fact, the app itself could have been the avenue to stop this one before it even happened.

My kid's school district tells the students and parents constantly "hear/see something, say something", don't ignore it until it is too late.
Stuff gets reported to authorities and school personnel all the time and sadly, kids are mostly learning that it falls on deaf ears.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:43 pm Threatening to rape and murder people, in general, isn’t against the law nor should it be.

Threatening an individual specifically should.
The threats were to a specific person. And I fully believe that posting "I am going to shoot up an elementary school" should result in the social media platform notifying the authorities and that person getting a visit as well as having a red flag thrown on their "can I buy guns" database for a minimum of 90 days. Inevitably, they will do what both this kid and the Buffalo kid did and lie to the police and say they were just kidding around but they should still be red flagged for a period of time longer than a few days.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:10 pm
Edit: If I did, I would not be armed
Fair. Our volunteers are not armed either. That's probably (definitely) a recipe for disaster.

And in inner cities we can't let school cops begin dealing with admin issues. They aren't there to search for dime bags of weed or harass kids breaking "rules" or break up fist fights.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat May 28, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:17 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:45 pm

Stuff gets reported to authorities and school personnel all the time and sadly, kids are mostly learning that it falls on deaf ears.
That's an opinion/assumption. Each school district and police department is different.