ousdahl

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by ousdahl »

Ewwwww!

(I woulda just put it in that thread)
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i was in Cameroon when the outbreak occurred in Nigeria a few years ago...scared the shit out of me
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Douala?
Deleted User 89

defixione wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pmDouala?
all up along the volcanic line

spent time in Douala, Yaoundé, and Bemenda, but was mostly out in rural mountainous areas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I flew into Douala in January of 1981 to go cross country to Cairo. Chad just happened to be at war with Sudan when I arrived so those plans got tossed. We decided to take bush taxis around the west coast to Cairo but Raleigh had just overthrown the Ghana government when we got to Togo, so we went north through Mali, up to Timbuctu, then back south to Abidjian in the Ivory Coast and around the west coast. Hung out in Dakar for quite a while then took a train headed to Rabat but Morrocan jets were strafing the trains (another war) so we headed back to Dakar until we flew home. Made it as far south as Equatorial Guinea and Gabon (couldn't go farther south because of apartheid, no northern countries would let us back in with visa stamps from those countries in our passports). Never made it to Cairo.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

Wow. Sounds like quite an adventure! I visited Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Lybia (just as far as Tripoli) in 1992. But no scary wars.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Beautiful country/s. Wonderful people, wonderful cultures. Lots of good memories.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Your youth was a lot of fun.

Or so I've heard.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am https://www.axios.com/crispr-gene-edite ... 6c187.html

this is such a slippery slope...
Scary. Along a different, but I think similar line, and just as scary is this:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/google-rev ... -behavior/

Scary for a company to do this; scarier if put into the hands of a government. Both ideas share the common thread of people who view other people’s lives as toys for them to play with and experiment on.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

defixione wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm I flew into Douala in January of 1981 to go cross country to Cairo. Chad just happened to be at war with Sudan when I arrived so those plans got tossed. We decided to take bush taxis around the west coast to Cairo but Raleigh had just overthrown the Ghana government when we got to Togo, so we went north through Mali, up to Timbuctu, then back south to Abidjian in the Ivory Coast and around the west coast. Hung out in Dakar for quite a while then took a train headed to Rabat but Morrocan jets were strafing the trains (another war) so we headed back to Dakar until we flew home. Made it as far south as Equatorial Guinea and Gabon (couldn't go farther south because of apartheid, no northern countries would let us back in with visa stamps from those countries in our passports). Never made it to Cairo.
Sounds like my last trip to Branson.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:44 pm
defixione wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm I flew into Douala in January of 1981 to go cross country to Cairo. Chad just happened to be at war with Sudan when I arrived so those plans got tossed. We decided to take bush taxis around the west coast to Cairo but Raleigh had just overthrown the Ghana government when we got to Togo, so we went north through Mali, up to Timbuctu, then back south to Abidjian in the Ivory Coast and around the west coast. Hung out in Dakar for quite a while then took a train headed to Rabat but Morrocan jets were strafing the trains (another war) so we headed back to Dakar until we flew home. Made it as far south as Equatorial Guinea and Gabon (couldn't go farther south because of apartheid, no northern countries would let us back in with visa stamps from those countries in our passports). Never made it to Cairo.
Wait, don't you play 24 shows a week there?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:57 pm
chiknbut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:44 pm
Wait, don't you play 24 shows a week there?
Yes. This happens quite often, as you could guess.
Deleted User 89

those duck boat rides tho...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

6 babies and 6 employees at a hospital have tested positive for a drug-resistant infection

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Children's Hospital confirmed on Monday 12 cases of a drug-resistant staph infection in its neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), according to a statement from the hospital...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Univ. of Pittsburgh is one of the best hospitals/medical schools in the nation. Scary.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Back in the early 90’s when I was a post-doc at UPitt I pointed out to the manager of the Wendy’s across the street from the medical center/hospital that it’s not proper for doctors and residents to show up there with their coats on. The manager basically said “you don’t have to eat here if you don’t want to”. I wasn’t thinking drug-resistant bugs back then but I wasn’t too far off. Just imagine!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:37 pm Back in the early 90’s when I was a post-doc at UPitt I pointed out to the manager of the Wendy’s across the street from the medical center/hospital that it’s not proper for doctors and residents to show up there with their coats on. The manager basically said “you don’t have to eat here if you don’t want to”. I wasn’t thinking drug-resistant bugs back then but I wasn’t too far off. Just imagine!
Yet more evidence that you Phuds will do anything to act out your resentment and hostility toward the selfless servants of medicine whose only motivation is the betterment of mankind?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas