Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by TDub »

I dont know but my allergies have been bad this year. We've also had substantially more rain than normal so different things are blooming and more pollen is out floating around.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

mine have also been awful

i woulda never imagined that they’d be worse in the desert than in the midwest, but i’m tending to think it’s something more specific the the SLC valley than just being in the west
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I do not normally suffer from seasonal allergies so I definitely think that my sinus issues are stemming from my holiday bout with covid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:53 am I do not normally suffer from seasonal allergies so I definitely think that my sinus issues are stemming from my holiday bout with covid.
i’ve had that same thought, that mine have been exacerbated due to covid
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/05/heal ... bitor.html

this is amazing, even if the success rate doesn’t hold (it very likely won’t)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My best buddy died of the asscancer just a couple years ago. Just like his dad at about the same age. Good to see that maybe they have a cure for it.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s a bummer

i’m still a few years from regular screenings, but i’d be lying if i said i wasn't thinking about it

i haven’t looked into the specifics of this therapy, but i’m regularly reading reports of novel monoclonal antibodies targeting various signaling pathways in a whole host of different cancers. i’m still a pessimist, but will gladly eat crow if/when actual non-surgical cures come available
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hope it's a cure. My buddy had a tough time of it.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:29 pm that’s a bummer

i’m still a few years from regular screenings, but i’d be lying if i said i wasn't thinking about it

i haven’t looked into the specifics of this therapy, but i’m regularly reading reports of novel monoclonal antibodies targeting various signaling pathways in a whole host of different cancers. i’m still a pessimist, but will gladly eat crow if/when actual non-surgical cures come available
man, im close to needing screenings. Im somewhat terrified of it. Most of me says fuck it, ignore it. Of all the cancers I could get, that's probably low on the list of what's gonna get me. I ignore the potential of bad news on all those other potentials too. Cant fucking hurt me if I ignore it. If I dont know it exists im tougher than it.

terrible thought process. Slowly attempting to right the ship on that mentality....but goddamn if it isn't a struggle. Getting old sucks.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've had two, I freaked out big time before the 1st. Turns out it wasn't a huge deal. 2nd wasn't as bad as I knew what to expect.

There's always the poop in the box thing, Mrs 99 did it.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Someone needs to change the title of this thread to "Where's the Peach Tree Dish?"
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

fascinating research that is literally changing the way we view trauma, and even evolutionary processes

https://radiowest.kuer.org/show/radiowe ... auma-works

severe trauma can literally leave heritable genetic signatures

the societal implications…
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2202705

i’m sure this one came from a lab as well…probably funded by US tax payers

Henipavirus = Langya virus…same family as Nipah virus
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

That's great news. Now, if only they could find something comparable to this for prostate cancer.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

They have finally figured out how to deliver mRNA in a form that is bioavailable. They are working on cancers that are more life-threatening before they get to prostate and others (the morbidity is usually caused by metastasis).

Of course, the right wing, do-my-own-research is going to ask if they ran a comparison cohort who drank bleach in 5……..4………3…………
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, H5N1…

THIS WEEK, ARGENTINA and Uruguay declared national health emergencies following outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1, the fast-moving virus that destroys poultry flocks and wild birds, and for decades has been feared as a possible spark for a pandemic among people. That makes 10 South American countries that have recently marked their first-ever encounter with the virus, including Peru—where more than 50,000 wild birds died last fall, and more than  600 sea lions in January. Combine the sea lion infections with the revelation that H5N1 flu invaded a mink farm in Spain in October, and health authorities must now confront the possibility that the unpredictable virus may have adapted to threaten other species.