Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Shirley »

But, there's no state income tax.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no state income tax is one of the many reasons florida is one of the fastest growing states in this great country.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 am no state income tax is one of the many reasons florida is one of the fastest growing states in this great country.
How many times after you post do you give yourself a pat on the back and say this (see gif below) to yourself?
Don't get me wrong, I know I'm calling the kettle black being that I often refer to myself as the master of the obvious.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, who’s up for some lab-grown chicken?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:54 pm so, who’s up for some lab-grown chicken?
nope. no...nah...no thanks.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:39 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:54 pm so, who’s up for some lab-grown chicken?
How about on a sub?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:40 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:39 pm
How about on a sub?
sub sandwich or sub as in the underwater mobile?

either way ....no

sandwich : see previous response to trad

submarine: no chance...for 2 reasons....1. I will never ever ever get on one of those things....see the discussion about the Titan sub. Id rather be stuck alone on the moon than be in one of those fucking confined little fucking yucks. Makes my skin crawl even talking about them. 2. not sure how being on a sub would change my opinion on fake robot AI meat?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i felt the same about black bean burgers and other veggie burgers

after actually eating them my mind is changed

and it’s not fake. it’s legit chicken, grown from chicken cells. it’s not all that different, generally, from hydroponically grown plants
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am i felt the same about black bean burgers and other veggie burgers

and it’s not fake. it’s legit chicken, grown from chicken cells. it’s not all that different, generally, from hydroponically grown plants
I'm unenthusiastically open to it because of the possible benefits, but I can't help but wonder what the texture will be like. I think I subconsciously overcook chicken now to make it firmer.

And, for whatever reason, the thought of a hydroponic vegetable sounds much more palatable than a lab-grown meat.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:44 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am i felt the same about black bean burgers and other veggie burgers

I'm unenthusiastically open to it because of the possible benefits, but I can't help but wonder what the texture will be like. I think I subconsciously overcook chicken now to make it firmer.

And, for whatever reason, the thought of a hydroponic vegetable sounds much more palatable than a lab-grown meat.
from what i’ve heard, the texture is spot-on

one of the companies that received USDA approval has already partnered with a Michelin chef that’ll be showcasing it in their restaurants
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s fucking weird…don’t get me wrong

but, when i think about all of the issues associated with the commercial meat industry…
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's a good sign that a chef is willing to associate themself with it.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Lab grown chicken sounds weird but I'd give it a try. Does it need to be refrigerated? Can you eat it medium rare?
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:14 am Lab grown chicken sounds weird but I'd give it a try. Does it need to be refrigerated? Can you eat it medium rare?
Good question.

Why would anyone want to?
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's common in Japan. People I know who have had it, loved it. Do not try un the US though.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Is it lab grown chicken meat or meat harvested from lab grown chickens? I need to do a little research. It would certainly be nice if we could have chicken meat without having to devote a bunch of land to chicken farms and feed corn and all the waste and fuel it takes to grow and process them.

EDIT: https://apnews.com/article/cultivated-m ... 1cdbf6b39a
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:27 am
Is it lab grown chicken meat or meat harvested from lab grown chickens? I need to do a little research. It would certainly be nice if we could have chicken meat without having to devote a bunch of land to chicken farms and feed corn and all the waste and fuel it takes to grow and process them.
it’s lab-grown from chicken cells

the process isn’t all that different from growing bacteria or fungi in a petri dish. chicken stem cells are cultured in a media rich in amino acids and carbohydrates, which promotes muscle fiber growth. that’s why/how the consistency matches that of “natural” chicken breast
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:35 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:27 am
it’s lab-grown from chicken cells

the process isn’t all that different from growing bacteria or fungi in a petri dish. chicken stem cells are cultured in a media rich in amino acids and carbohydrates, which promotes muscle fiber growth. that’s why/how the consistency matches that of “natural” chicken breast
It probably has no less "weird science shit" in it than all the weird shit that goes through regular chickens from egg to plate.