Vick

Kansas Basketball.
Lonestarjayhawk

Re: Vick

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Any deal would including Vick coming back for Senior Day.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My gut feeling is that Bill couldn't stomach the thought of having Vick give a senior day speech.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This is Coach’s problem. He makes a lot of money to handle garbage like this. Amongst other things. Coach’s problem. Not mine.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

MG getting back on the court ASAP is our most pressing issue.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 pm MG getting back on the court ASAP is our most pressing issue.
Getting Garrett back and into the rotation is Coach's issue, not yours.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Starting 4 freshmen and a transfer, amazing.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:53 pm Starting 4 freshmen and a transfer, amazing.
meh.

Fran told me e'rybuddy goes through it.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
kcmokufan

Post by kcmokufan »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:57 pm
Geezer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:53 pm Starting 4 freshmen and a transfer, amazing.
meh.

Fran told me e'rybuddy goes through it.
What Fran doesn't realize is that when they go through it they look more like West Virginia.
GregOsterswag

Post by GregOsterswag »

Speaking of Fran, he said a couple of times on Saturday's broadcast that he thought Vick had played his last game for KU. Something like, "I have no inside information but he's not coming back." For not having any inside info he seemed pretty damn sure of it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Fran is connected enough that he wouldn't make that prediction flippantly. The "no inside info" was probably a staff request.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

At this point, I just hope it is done. We are too late in the season to have to tinker around with yet another rotation change. We still have to get Garrett worked back in to get the squad ready for the big push to end the regular season and build for the tourney.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think, in a vacuum, Vick would make this team better. But at this point with the team playing well, I agree, I think the disruption of trying to re-integrate him is greater than the benefit he would bring. We're at the point where every single game matters so much, we can't really afford to have to take a step back.

Plus, I've thought this all season, we are a better team when we play two bigs. If we play two bigs, there's really not as much of a need for Vick. (Garrett and KJ make us more versatile in terms of playing large or small; in a sense they each almost count as two bodies).
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Something that hasn't been talked about: We've been better offensively w/o not just Vick, but Garrett, as well. Interesting to see how that will be integrated as we absolutely can't upset our Big 3 core.

I guess the good thing about Garrett is he can come in and replace Charlie Moore's minutes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

There's a big part of me that would like to see Garrett replace Grimes in the starting lineup. I think he's the better player and I think he's earned it.

But, I don't see Self not starting Grimes, and I think I'd rather play two true bigs rather than have Garrett start at the 4.

Regardless, I think Garrett will be in at the ends of games.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm I think Fran is connected enough that he wouldn't make that prediction flippantly. The "no inside info" was probably a staff request.
I think it's Fran looking at it like most people are. All the stuff that's happened with Vick the last 3.5 years up to, and including, coming back for his senior year, I don't think it's the biggest stretch to assume he's not coming back. The part that surprised me was just how confident he was in his words. "He's done. He's not coming back." I just don't understand why he felt he had to throw his personal feelings into it and not just leave it what it is. IMO, just wasn't the most professional way for a color guy to handle it.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm There's a big part of me that would like to see Garrett replace Grimes in the starting lineup. I think he's the better player and I think he's earned it.

But, I don't see Self not starting Grimes, and I think I'd rather play two true bigs rather than have Garrett start at the 4.

I think the most important minutes, once Garrett comes back, you'll see Dotson, Ochai, Garrett, Lawson, Lightfoot. Seeing the difference the last few games with 2 bigs, I can't see Self going back to 4 guards when Garrett comes back. Grimes will likely still start, but I see his minutes getting closer to the 20 range and wouldn't be surprised to see Moore with a few DNP-CD's.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm There's a big part of me that would like to see Garrett replace Grimes in the starting lineup. I think he's the better player and I think he's earned it.

I think the most important minutes, once Garrett comes back, you'll see Dotson, Ochai, Garrett, Lawson, Lightfoot. Seeing the difference the last few games with 2 bigs, I can't see Self going back to 4 guards when Garrett comes back. Grimes will likely still start, but I see his minutes getting closer to the 20 range and wouldn't be surprised to see Moore with a few DNP-CD's.
Yes, this is exactly how I see it playing out.

I also like starting McCormack. It saves Mitch some potential fouls, and you have a high energy physical guy to start games out and a more reliable veteran to finish them.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Grimes has been better, but yes, Garrett is obviously going to take some of Grimes's minutes.

I do think, though, that the absence of Garrett has made the spacing and ball movement better. I see Garrett and Grimes playing about equally and Moore is such an obvious odd man out.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:52 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm I think Fran is connected enough that he wouldn't make that prediction flippantly. The "no inside info" was probably a staff request.
I think it's Fran looking at it like most people are. All the stuff that's happened with Vick the last 3.5 years up to, and including, coming back for his senior year, I don't think it's the biggest stretch to assume he's not coming back. The part that surprised me was just how confident he was in his words. "He's done. He's not coming back." I just don't understand why he felt he had to throw his personal feelings into it and not just leave it what it is. IMO, just wasn't the most professional way for a color guy to handle it.
Again, those remarks weren't off the cuff. Fran knows enough to confidently say what he said.
GregOsterswag

Post by GregOsterswag »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 pm Something that hasn't been talked about: We've been better offensively w/o not just Vick, but Garrett, as well. Interesting to see how that will be integrated as we absolutely can't upset our Big 3 core.

I guess the good thing about Garrett is he can come in and replace Charlie Moore's minutes.
Agree with all of this. KJ is earning more minutes too.