Vick

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 167

Re: Vick

Post by Deleted User 167 »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm There's a big part of me that would like to see Garrett replace Grimes in the starting lineup. I think he's the better player and I think he's earned it.

But, I don't see Self not starting Grimes, and I think I'd rather play two true bigs rather than have Garrett start at the 4.

Regardless, I think Garrett will be in at the ends of games.
I think the most important minutes, once Garrett comes back, you'll see Dotson, Ochai, Garrett, Lawson, Lightfoot. Seeing the difference the last few games with 2 bigs, I can't see Self going back to 4 guards when Garrett comes back. Grimes will likely still start, but I see his minutes getting closer to the 20 range and wouldn't be surprised to see Moore with a few DNP-CD's.
I would like to see KJ continue to get at least 20 minutes going forward. There would still be plenty of minutes for Garrett and Grimes since KJ can play some as a forward too.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:16 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:52 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm I think Fran is connected enough that he wouldn't make that prediction flippantly. The "no inside info" was probably a staff request.
I think it's Fran looking at it like most people are. All the stuff that's happened with Vick the last 3.5 years up to, and including, coming back for his senior year, I don't think it's the biggest stretch to assume he's not coming back. The part that surprised me was just how confident he was in his words. "He's done. He's not coming back." I just don't understand why he felt he had to throw his personal feelings into it and not just leave it what it is. IMO, just wasn't the most professional way for a color guy to handle it.
Again, those remarks weren't off the cuff. Fran knows enough to confidently say what he said.
Which makes it all the stranger that Self left it open-ended to begin with, and hasn't really said anything to make it seem final publically.

I don't get it, because something as simple as, "the timetable for the things he needs to deal with won't allow him to rejoin the team before the season is done" would make the questions go away. He's going to have to answer a Vick question at every press conference going forward.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm

I think it's Fran looking at it like most people are. All the stuff that's happened with Vick the last 3.5 years up to, and including, coming back for his senior year, I don't think it's the biggest stretch to assume he's not coming back. The part that surprised me was just how confident he was in his words. "He's done. He's not coming back." I just don't understand why he felt he had to throw his personal feelings into it and not just leave it what it is. IMO, just wasn't the most professional way for a color guy to handle it.
Again, those remarks weren't off the cuff. Fran knows enough to confidently say what he said.
Which makes it all the stranger that Self left it open-ended to begin with, and hasn't really said anything to make it seem final publically.

I don't get it, because something as simple as, "the timetable for the things he needs to deal with won't allow him to rejoin the team before the season is done" would make the questions go away. He's going to have to answer a Vick question at every press conference going forward.
Agree 100% and have been saying that all along: just rip the band-aid off.

My only guess is that Bill is keeping the door open a fraction of a millimeter. But, the longer this goes on and the more Bill takes passing shots at Vick in pressers, the more it just seems like the best thing to do is close the door and let all parties move on. This is smooth as the season has gone since the very early weeks.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

When Tom Brady got injured 17 years ago, Bledsoe came in, secured a win, which led to a Super Bowl.

Who knows what the future holds?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm

The old Bill who speaks frankly to the media is LONG gone. He hasn't been very open and honest in the media in several years now.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't noticed a big change.

I wouldn't blame Bill for being more guarded. It's been a tough few years off the court, with various NCAA and legal matters.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I have and it started in Josh Jackson's season here.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I understand that there are pros and cons for everything, but for the life of me, I don't know why Bill puts up with the bullshit. A five-year NBA contract and then off to the links forever has to sound pretty good some days....
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Whether Self has been open and honest with the media or not (and I agree w/ jfish that there really hasn't been a change), PhD's point is that Bill's not doing himself any favors to avoid getting repetitive questions from the media. It's a fair point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm I understand that there are pros and cons for everything, but for the life of me, I don't know why Bill puts up with the bullshit. A five-year NBA contract and then off to the links forever has to sound pretty good some days....
Well...because he's his father's son. I get that he's worked hard to condition us with the "not going to coach when I'm [xx]" stuff, but I think Bill loves a lot of the grind and the challenge.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And Bill does not seem the type that's content to retire to nothing but 18 holes a day for the next 40 years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And, shit, for all we know, a vacation - and a vacation - is on the way.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i personally think he wants another championship before calling it quits at the collegiate level
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:35 pm i personally think he wants another championship before calling it quits at the collegiate level
Sure - Bill's a student of coaching history. There's very much a difference, legacy-wise, between one and two.
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm There's a big part of me that would like to see Garrett replace Grimes in the starting lineup. I think he's the better player and I think he's earned it.

But, I don't see Self not starting Grimes, and I think I'd rather play two true bigs rather than have Garrett start at the 4.

Garrett or KJ should replace Grimes in the starting lineup but they probably won't. Grimes has been horrible all year and he's actually getting worse as the year goes on. His FG % over the last 8 games is 29%. He's not very good at anything else - driving, rebounding, defense, etc. so if he's not scoring, he really doesn't have much value. I know he needs to continue getting minutes so he can get better but once Garrett returns, it should no longer be in the 30's. If it were up to me, he would get about 15 to 20 minutes per game until he starts to show some improvement.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Perhaps the door has been left open a mm for Vick merely because he is an eligible player on a team with a very short bench (of eligible players). Maybe when Garrett is back to 100%, the bandaid comes off on the end of Vick’s KU career.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Or maybe Bill's leaving the door slightly ajar because he called Dok a pussy the day before he had to announce that Dok is out for the season, and he doesn't want to throw another player under the bus only to have to eat his words again.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Everything is still in play with this Vick situation. At least Self and the team are having fun and happy with their efforts. Of the options, I like where we are right now given the hole we dug ourselves.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

cjbooth38 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Garrett or KJ should replace Grimes in the starting lineup but they probably won't. Grimes has been horrible all year and he's actually getting worse as the year goes on. His FG % over the last 8 games is 29%. He's not very good at anything else - driving, rebounding, defense, etc. so if he's not scoring, he really doesn't have much value. I know he needs to continue getting minutes so he can get better but once Garrett returns, it should no longer be in the 30's. If it were up to me, he would get about 15 to 20 minutes per game until he starts to show some improvement.
I’m as frustrated as anyone with how things have gone with Grimes, but I think you have to stay with him at this point. It’s in there...somewhere.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I do not believe everything is still in play for Vick.

I wish him the best though. He should be able to make good money overseas. For his sake I hope he does. Far from my favorite Jayhawk, but he's helped us more than he's hurt us over his 3.75 years.