Vick

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Vick

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am
pdub wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 am Comments like this:
"...but it's called "historic", not "average" for a reason.
On to the next one."

There's always been a general sentiment by people around here that feels like they want Vick to fail and some other kid to come in and replace him.
It's odd to me.
Wouldn't you want a kid to have a second chance to come back and prove himself and play well and lead a team? And an unheralded kid who will be a Jayhawk for four years?

Of course it's historic. It's never been done in the history of Kansas basketball. If this were Vonte doing this people would be loosing their shit.
Obviously I am thrilled with Vick's performance. Shit, I gave him a standing ovation from my family room. Talk about confusing the dog. And I hope he has many more nights like this.

But the fact that he did this right after a 32 minute 2 point disappearing act pretty much sums up Vick's career in a nutshell. Great talent capable of being an excellent player but just doesn't put it together on even close to a nightly basis. I am bummed for both him and for KU that he hasn't found a way to dial in better performances on a more consistent basis. Some talents never figure that out; it is the hardest part of the game in my opinion.

Like I said, good for him, good for KU. If my lack of getting carried away with the heaping of praise beyond that bugs you then so be it. I am sorry if my comments made you think that I don't think he should get a second chance or that I would rather see someone younger come in this year and bump Vick out because that is not the case.

I will be at this Friday's game and will scream and cheer for a repeat performance from Vick and clap and cheer in appreciation when he is announced in the starting lineup.

I have problem with Vick at all; I just realize he is what he is.
Right. Whatever we get from Vick is a really welcome bonus, but he's never demonstrated that he can be counted on on a consistent basis.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not defending Vick for Vick's sake.
I don't think he cares that much what we as fans have to say.
I certainly don't think he's reading kansascrimson ( though he should, I have lots of good things to say ).

It's more of, why does it seem ( and maybe i'm completely making it up but I don't think I am ) that people on dotnet and now here never wanted Vick and still don't want him on the team? Because of some completely unfounded allegations? You're the judge and jury so you know what happened exactly? He's an asset ( clearly if he can score 32 points on 12 shots ) and will be a four year player that wasn't a top 50 recruit.

It's in our best interest he kills it this year and then gets drafted to the NBA.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I think you just may be reading more into things than is there. He's just not a big fan favorite.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

K.
I'll pump the brakes then on the Vick bandwagon.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I see where pwhitt's coming from. It seems slightly more than "not being a fan favorite". We've seen it in several different forms for various players over the years.

Sometimes it's simply evaluating players inconsistently based on personal bias. Being harder on the guys you don't like, or getting more annoyed by their shortcomings or differences in skill set from your preferred player, while overlooking what the other player may do better that causes Self to play them over the other player you prefer.

I see that with Mitch a lot as well.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Him returning could end up being huge this year if he has a few more games like this one. Obviously, we don't expect him to score 30 every other game, but we now know he's capable. Always been a Vick fan.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It's fantastic to have a guy who is capable of draining every three he takes do it in a game early in the season so that he is given plenty of attention in opponents game plans, freeing up Dok to continue to dunk 10 times a game. It's exactly the role we need Vick to play on this roster and if he also plays good defense and talks up the young guys then we're in great shape.

We don't need him to average32 a night; just to fill his role and do what is asked of him.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Vick is set up to be a much more major player on this years team. More natural position, less pressure, more rest opportunity etc. Doesnt have to play the 4 spot. Doesnt have to run the show. Just float and attack, freed up to go get boards
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

this is also his last rodeo...put up or shut up, so to speak. it's his last audition

(love the avatar, btw, TDub)
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 pmOh hai.
I believe he should be addressed as Mr. Vick. A little more respect please.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dunno if we can say he’s our fourth best player. Or that Garrett should play over him.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

On to the next one
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Dood is playin some ball
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

32, 33... 35?
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

sky's the limit!
painter

Post by painter »

Ok. So he had a bad game early in the season. I called him out and was wrong.
I'm happy to continue to be proven wrong. Dude is dialed in
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He'll cool off.
But man, it's been nice to be upset when Vick turns down a shot.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

If it weren't for Vick this would be our worst 3pt shooting team of the Self Era. Dude is on fire at home so far this year.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

He'll regress to the mean.
Fun while it lasts though.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

painter wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 pm Ok. So he had a bad game early in the season. I called him out and was wrong.
I'm happy to continue to be proven wrong. Dude is dialed in
you and me both