Vick

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Vick

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Agreed about TRob. He always seemed way too worried about scoring rather than defense. He'd come in, score and rebound like crazy, but have mutiple wtf defensive moments that made it hard for him to ever establish himself as a worthwhile rotation piece.

But I can't in good faith call SDS a future NBA player and then discount Grimes as not being 1. Grimes has a better chance than SDS at this point.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:10 am Another proxy, albeit at the other end of a college basketball playing career is McD's All-American

We have 5, 4 with Dok out.

This was a team many thought was the best in the country and a FF favorite at the start of the year. If we're now saying this team isn't talented, there's some combination of EVERYONE on the roster underperforming, and EVERYONE on this board (not to mention the media) completely overestimated the entire roster.
I don't disagree, except maybe to point out that McD's AA or not, no one expected much from McCormack this year (sort of like Aldrich).

As for the other four:

* Doke never developed any skill;

* Dedric stagnated physically;

* Grimes has not been anything like what was hoped; and

* Dotson has been, if anything, a little better than what was hoped.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I guess my counter would then be. We may not have a ton of NBA first round talent.

But we have a roster full of guys who will play professionally at a very high level. We have 6 to 10 guys who will all make a lot of money to play professional ball.

Lawson is a great college player, could be an All American if he can get better ball security and make his shots. He probably won't ever be very good in the NBA, but he's basically a big man version of Jimmer, in that he can be great in college...but that's where his athleticism tops out. And that's fine with me because I care more about how he can impact this team.

A lot of the same can be said about Vick and when he's on, which is certainly not always, he's a great college player too.

Grimes is coming along, and I think he'll be a lot closer to the player he was projected to be in March than he is now.

Moore isn't nearly the player I was expecting, Garrett hasn't progressed offensively, Mitch has a limited ceiling. But those guys are role players.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

Very true PhD. You can be a great college player without being an NBA player.

Lots of national championships have been won by teams focused around a great college player who wasn't a good NBA player.

Maybe we can recreate some of that magic in 2019.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

For me, the more concerning thing about Lawson isn't how he projects as a professional, it's how inconsistent he's been.

He's played like shit (by the high standards we're expecting) in the last 3 games. Not to mention the VT game. With limited perimeter shooting, the success of this team relies pretty heavily on Dedric shooting a high percentage...that or becoming the passer Self says he is.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:57 am
Dedric: We need to stop calling him an "average" athlete. That does "average" athletes a tremendous disservice. He is a bad athlete, or even a non-athlete.
It's quite possible he's passed Eric Chenowith as the guy who's most forced me to yell "Just Dunk the Fucking Ball!"

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am For me, the more concerning thing about Lawson isn't how he projects as a professional, it's how inconsistent he's been.

He's played like shit (by the high standards we're expecting) in the last 3 games. Not to mention the VT game. With limited perimeter shooting, the success of this team relies pretty heavily on Dedric shooting a high percentage...that or becoming the passer Self says he is.
The five games he played at the 5, he shot 64%. That includes 3-13 from 3. Take those out and he's 73% playing on the block. Kind of like someone else who won't play again this year.

I have no problem with him taking 2 or 3 shots from deep a game. If he doesn't take them it takes away his advantage of taking a big guy off the dribble away.

My biggest worry about Dedric is he's now the post defender. Not that he was any better on the perimeter, but his verticality is not ideal and I can see a few instances where he gets 2 fouls fairly quick the way he leans on opponents.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am For me, the more concerning thing about Lawson isn't how he projects as a professional, it's how inconsistent he's been.

I was also expecting a much more dangerous shooter. I really thought we were getting Marcus' skill level in Markieff's body.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:47 am

I was also expecting a much more dangerous shooter. I really thought we were getting Marcus' skill level in Markieff's body.
We got Perry Ellis in Gumby's body.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Perry seems like one of the more obvious analogies with Dedric.

but - could you imagine if we ever had to rely on Perry at the 5?
Deleted User 75

I can imagine. We're pretty much in that exact scenario right now, except perry usually always had multiple 3pt threats surrounding him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dedric is ridiculously better than Perry.

Perry was our best offense on that really bad '14-'15 team and we still won the league. The sky is not falling yet and people are giving up way on Grimes way too early and at a really odd time considering his past couple of games.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

but that gumby joke was pretty good, right?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ridiculously better than Perry?
No.
Better, yes.

Dedric is a rebounding machine. I don't think he's that much better an offensive player than Perry.
In fact, i'd argue Perry had a better selection of moves around the basket and could actually hit the 3.
Both of them get blocked more often than they should.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 am but that gumby joke was pretty good, right?
i laughed
Deleted User 75

Looks bad. Probably just knew the ball wasn't coming his way....these are probably the little things that were harder to notice (as fans) in past years that caused self to call him selfish numerous times.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I have never badmouthed a KU player -- even Sean Tunstall and Nadir -- but LaGerald is wearing on my last nerve.

I would be willing to overlook it all if he was just a player who turned out not to be as talented as everyone thought. But that's simply not the case. He has the talent, and has demonstrated it repeatedly. He just doesn't appear to care.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Same boat as you. I don’t like it. I don’t want to be a part of it. But for fucks sake this is Vicks slim luck reunion tour that never should have been. The guidelines were laid out very clear and simple. And he was standing at the gates of legends and popularity like Devonte last month.

No one enjoys a fall.
I am, I said.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I must be the odd guy out. I still think we have the talent to win the B12. If SDS is cleared (again) then we may have a better starting five than we started with.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster