republicans have no shame

Ugh.
RussianHawk

Re: republicans have no shame

Post by RussianHawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 pm lulz@choo

Schiff is a nut whose either been lying for two years or is actually out of his damn mind.
No. Alex Jones is a nut and cruel fucking human being. Don't equate them.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

No doubt Trump's apologists here will try to deflect and distract, but don't let them fool you. Before throwing Betsy DeVos under the bus, Trump signed his own budget proposal eliminating funding for the Special Olympics.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchiff/status/1 ... 4195344384
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am No doubt Trump's apologists here will try to deflect and distract
yeah, but what about Cankles?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:10 am
Feral wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am No doubt Trump's apologists here will try to deflect and distract
yeah, but what about Cankles?
^^^

Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:44 am Yeah, Repubs are just mean sunsabitches, but why do we have to depend on the government to fund it.
So how about a bunch of softhearted demonrats with deep pockets fund the Special Olympics. I bet George Soros, or Tom Steyer could come up with a few bucks, plus It's probably tax deductible. Oh yes there's always "go-fund-me" as well.
Do some research, dipshit. Special Olympics does not depend on the government to fund it. The government provides almost $18 million in grants to Special Olympics, about 10% of their annual revenue.

The federal funds provided by the Department of Education is spent only on a program called Unified Champion Schools, which works to make school sports programs and other portions of school life more accessible to students with disabilities. It is not used to fund their Special Olympics competitions and programs that happen outside of school.

It is just another example of the Republican platform of cutting education funding, screwing those less fortunate for their own gains. The continual dumbing of the masses is necessary to keep the GOP platform alive.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Good to hear. Trump survived making fun of one disabled media member but even he isn't dumb enough to think his reelection campaign wouldn't be hindered by this terrible decision. It would have been fixed by Congress anyways so no doubt Trump saw the chance to appoint himself hero of the Special Olympics program in his 2020 reelection campaign while avoiding this PR disaster.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

dolomite wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:44 am Yeah, Repubs are just mean sunsabitches, but why do we have to depend on the government to fund it.
So how about a bunch of softhearted demonrats with deep pockets fund the Special Olympics. I bet George Soros, or Tom Steyer could come up with a few bucks, plus It's probably tax deductible. Oh yes there's always "go-fund-me" as well.
I can't imagine what it is like to wake up every day hating 1/2 the world.

How do you keep the gun out of your mouth?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:14 pm

the hate is what keeps him going
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Yes you can.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Yes you can.
Honestly, I don't really hate anyone.
Thanks for your input though, helpful as always.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Soft hearted people already do provide the vast majority of funds to support the Special Olympics. Their 2017 annual report shows that they received $113.39 million of their reported $148.72 million in revenue for fiscal year 2017 from direct mail contributions and individual and corporate contributions and grants, compared to the $15.4 million in federal grants they received in 2017.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

So the government contribution is piddling compared to other revenue? So why all the griping, the Special Olympics will go on. I swear.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:21 pm

the hate is what keeps him going
Love “trumps” hate. (Always)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

dolomite wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm So the government contribution is piddling compared to other revenue? So why all the griping, the Special Olympics will go on. I swear.
When the goal is the destruction of the administrative state, you have to break a few eggs along the way.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

More "draining the swamp"?

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1111672589552779265

Key Trump health official spends millions on GOP-connected consultants

Seema Verma employs a team of private consultants who write her speeches, polish her brand and travel with her across the country.

The Trump appointee who oversees Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare quietly directed millions of taxpayer dollars in contracts to Republican communications consultants during her tenure atop the agency — including hiring one well-connected GOP media adviser to bolster her public profile.

The communications subcontracts approved by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma — routed through a larger federal contract and described to POLITICO by three individuals with firsthand knowledge of the agreements — represent a sharp break from precedent at the agency. Those deals, managed by Verma’s deputies, came in some cases over the objections of CMS staffers, who raised concerns about her push to use federal funds on GOP consultants and to amplify coverage of Verma’s own work. CMS has its own large communications shop, including about two dozen people who handle the press.

Verma, a close ally of Vice President Mike Pence, has become a lightning rod for pushing work requirements in Medicaid and spearheading the Trump administration’s efforts to unilaterally unwind pieces of Obamacare. She previously worked as a consultant to conservative states seeking to reshape health care programs for the poor.

Her agency’s use of outside contracts and subcontracts is legal, but experts and current officials say it is not transparent and raises ethical questions.

“Outsourcing communications work to private contractors puts the agency's ability to protect ‘potentially market-moving’ information from premature disclosure at considerable risk,” said Andy Schneider, a Medicaid expert who worked at CMS during the Obama administration and is now a researcher at Georgetown University.

..."There are a host of ethical and contractual problems with appointees steering contracts to political allies and subcontractors, and possibly a violation of the ban on personal services contracts if the work is being performed at the direction of the appointee,” Scott Amey, general counsel of the Project on Government Oversight, told POLITICO. “Contracts are supposed to be above reproach, with complete impartiality, and without preferential treatment, and the HHS Inspector General should review this [Porter Novelli] contract and the activities under it to ensure they are proper."

...Verma recently completed several interviews, arranged by Stevens, that focused on emphasizing her personal life and her role as a prominent Republican woman. The cover profile in this month’s AARP bulletin, which went to more than 24 million people, included a sidebar on Verma’s husband’s experience in the health system.

Consultants help shape CMS strategy

Before the Trump administration, communications consultants were used mostly for sweeping agency priorities, like raising awareness of Medicare open enrollment or encouraging sign-ups for the Affordable Care Act, five current and former officials said.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Meh, whatever.

The more disturbing part is that he picks people for things because he's seen them on TV, rather than the hard work of actually finding a good candidate for a job.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm So the government contribution is piddling compared to other revenue? So why all the griping, the Special Olympics will go on. I swear.
No one has claimed that the Special Olympics would fail without this. The problem is the the Department of Education cut their meager funding for an Education program used to help disabled kids feel like they are included in the larger community in yet another example of this administration treating those who are "out of their norm" as lesser citizens.

Trump could cut a few trips to Mar a Lago and fund the entire program. At least he recognized that the backlash from the cuts he no doubt forced DeVos to make weren't worth the political turmoil so he sold her up the river and refunded the program.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 am
Meh, whatever.

The more disturbing part is that he picks people for things because he's seen them on TV, rather than the hard work of actually finding a good candidate for a job.
That's not the case here. Moore was the campaign's economic adviser and he traveled with candidate Trump extensively.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am
Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 am
Meh, whatever.

That's not the case here. Moore was the campaign's economic adviser and he traveled with candidate Trump extensively.
Oh