Post by Shirley »

The Trump Crime Syndicate republicans are enabling and protecting:

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/11 ... 2022838273
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Re: republicans have no shame

Post by Geezer »

What conflict of interest? If they are all in it for their own benefit, where is the conflict?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Yeah, I mean whose interest does it conflict with?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Yet another reason it would be nice to get the $$$ out of our politics:

Tobacco's 'Special Friend': What Internal Documents Say About Mitch McConnell

...An NPR review of McConnell's relationship with the tobacco industry over the decades has found that McConnell repeatedly cast doubt on the health consequences of smoking, repeated industry talking points word-for-word, attacked federal regulators at the industry's request and opposed bipartisan tobacco regulations going back decades.

The industry, in turn, has provided McConnell with millions of dollars in speaking fees, personal gifts, campaign contributions and charitable donations to the McConnell Center, which is home to his personal and professional archives.

One lobbyist for R.J. Reynolds called McConnell a "special friend" to the company.

Much of the relationship between McConnell and the tobacco industry happened behind the scenes. But the disclosure of millions of once-secret tobacco industry documents — which are now readily searchable online — has opened a window into McConnell's interactions with tobacco executives and lobbyists.

Many of the records were first reported by the Lexington Herald-Leader, as part of a yearlong investigation into McConnell. Other documents on McConnell's relationships to the industry are being reported by NPR for the first time as part of a series produced by the Embedded podcast.

As a whole, ethics watchdogs say the documents raise questions about how McConnell is crafting legislation dealing with wealthy, powerful industries, even with millions of lives at stake. Cigarette smoking kills an estimated 480,000 people in the United States every year.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 pm Yeah, I mean whose interest does it conflict with?
Are you seriously wondering where a conflict of interest exists when the son in law of the president is traveling the world meeting with all flavors of foreign dignitaries and power players on behalf of the government while at the same time being a part owner of a company that is receiving massive amounts of foreign investments from unnamed entities?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Is that called quid pro quo or “0ne hand washes the other”? Emoluments? IOW it’s how politicians get richer. Illegal?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

dolomite wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm Is that called quid pro quo or “0ne hand washes the other”? Emoluments? IOW it’s how politicians get richer. Illegal?
In other words, Trump continues to drain the swamp?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

(CNN)President Trump's critics may not like to admit it, but there's an element of truth in the racist tweets he sent this weekend.

Trump told four nonwhite Democratic congresswomen that they should "go back" to the "crime infested places" where they came from, even though three of the four were born in the US and the fourth is a naturalized citizen.
Critics pounced. But in some ways those four lawmakers -- Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley -- really do belong to another country.
In one America, people react with shock when a President issues vile racist tweets against women lawmakers. In the other America, people say nothing.
In one America, people speak out in protest after a President claims that African, Haitian, and Salvadoran immigrants come from "sh**hole" countries. In the other America, people nod in agreement.
In one America, people become outraged when administration officials snatch migrant children from their mothers' arms and detain them for weeks in filthy conditions with no repercussions. In the other America, people remain silent.
And in one America, people condemn a President for describing protestors alongside neo-Nazis as "very fine people." In the other America, people shrug.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm
dolomite wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm Is that called quid pro quo or “0ne hand washes the other”? Emoluments? IOW it’s how politicians get richer. Illegal?
In other words, Trump continues to drain the swamp?
AKA, It's OK when someone who pisses off the libs does it.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I dont understand how anyone can support the GOP at this point.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The gop has its’ wackjobs. But so does the democrats.

I don’t understand how anyone can support either team.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohhh!

Please illustrate what you mean by “Democrat wackjob”
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 am The gop has its’ wackjobs. But so does the democrats.

Cop out, bull shit answer.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Plenty of people feel there are Dem whack jobs. I'm not too sure these are those people they think of when they think of Dem whack jobs - but I also am not 100% sure these people are not whack jobs.

As far as some one such as Marianne Williamson, I am going to admit I am in complete agreement with those who think she's a whack job.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Good lord, I can create a goofy faced picture of anyone who has ever spoken on video. Come on.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 am The gop has its’ wackjobs. But so does the democrats.

I dont support people; I support platforms and the Dem platform is far more appealing to me than what the GOP is offering.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:49 am Good lord, I can create a goofy faced picture of anyone who has ever spoken on video. Come on.
I'm sure you could.
Maybe I should come up with whacked out things they have all said? But then you would tell me that you could come up with a whacked out thing everyone has said.
Can you explain to me and convince me why these people are definitely not whack jobs?
My point being, while you and I might not think they are whack jobs, why are we right and others who think they are whack jobs wrong?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 am

Cop out, bull shit answer.
You will say that no matter the answer. You are just as blinded as those who blindly support trump. Though, you will never admit it because you are thoroughly convinced you are right and there is no other opinion or option that matters to you.

Which, is ok, but it's silly to not see the hypocrisy in that line of thought.
Just Ledoux it