Welcome Coach Miles!

Kansas Football.
ChalkRocker

Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by ChalkRocker »

shindig wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm Glad we have the boosters to clean the shit show of our program up.
You're welcome.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ChalkRocker wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm
chiknbut wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:36 pm I still have no idea why someone would want to come in and take over this program. Maybe the facilities are going to get better. Maybe there's some decent young talent and a name like Miles gets some better talent off the fence. Maybe Miles will be here 5 years and groom a successor and really make the program his own.

No idea.

I do think it's safe to say that Miles did not take this job to jump to a better one. This should be his last stop, right?
chikn, I don't get this. At ALL.

You don't understand why a Football Coach would wanna coach KU?!

you don't really mean that, do you?
Can't tell if you're joking or not. So I'll assume you're serious.

Tell me. What is attractive about the KU football job? I really want to know.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Did we win yet?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 pm
chiknbut wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:36 pm I still have no idea why someone would want to come in and take over this program. Maybe the facilities are going to get better. Maybe there's some decent young talent and a name like Miles gets some better talent off the fence. Maybe Miles will be here 5 years and groom a successor and really make the program his own.

No idea.

I do think it's safe to say that Miles did not take this job to jump to a better one. This should be his last stop, right?

$$
opportunity to prove ability aka swan song

and $$$$
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Les walked away from 5 mil.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

the optimism in me says it could be a legacy type move

but watch, it won’t happen and he’ll get hired elsewhere
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I hope there is a clause in Miles’ contract that says ‘Regarding Bill Self, don’t speak unless spoken to’
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

No idea.

Me too.
Money? A guy can get paid anywhere.
Chance to prove yourself? A guy has a chance to prove himself anywhere.
Bottom line is you have a better chance you fail than succeed at KU.
Does anyone know for sure why Les Miles can't get a better gig than the KU job?
I don't know, I would think he would have too much pride but I guess not.
KU, where head coaches go to fail.
If I am not mistaken, one freaking coach in the past 65 years has left KU with a winning record while at KU. Yes? No?
Either way, welcome aboard the failure train Les!
Deleted User 89

and all of that is exactly why it would be a legacy-cementing move

if whatever coach comes on can run this program around and make competitive, or even a bowl-winner, in a couple years it would make for s great story and capstone on the career of someone like Miles
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Can't and don't disagree but I also have to wonder why anyone would want to tarnish their legacy too. That's how you want to go out - as a loser/failure? I guess someone like Miles might be confident enough about himself to take that risk. If so, I welcome him and wish him the best.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 am and all of that is exactly why it would be a legacy-cementing move

if whatever coach comes on can run this program around and make competitive, or even a bowl-winner, in a couple years it would make for s great story and capstone on the career of someone like Miles
And every coach KU has hired throughout the years has likely thought the same thing - I'm the guy who's going to turn around this team and become the face of the program. And I'll get millions on top of it.

And so far there is only an unemployed fat man who can stake that claim - and not convincingly.

There is a reason so many have failed at this job and I'm not quite sure what it is. My guess is it's a commitment to bringing the program to an elite level. That's going to take millions upon millions, including additional upgrades to the stadium and a lot more than a new indoor practice facility. Maybe our guy Jeff can do this. I hope so.

I have no doubt that recent coaches - excluding Charlie Weiss - had extensive knowledge of the game of football. What they didn't have was consistent talent. Certainly not the talent to compete in the Big XII. There's some good athletes scattered here and there, but we're not going to succeed as a program by bringing in Juco players.

If there is a fix it's not going to happen for awhile. Maybe Les is the type of name that can get kids from Texas, Florida and California to come to Kansas. I know it's important to get local kids as well, but you don't win titles with kids from Derby and Dodge City.

Reasons for optimism? I suppose. Buffalo was one of the worst college programs in the country and they're pretty darn good right now. Same with Duke. I'm interested to hear from some others on here. How do you build a program that's good once every 10 years and then falls off dramatically? We're not just desperate for a decent program, just a winning one from time to time. It's NEVER happened here. Why?
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

I always liked Miles when he was at LSU. He had a few great teams. I hope he has success. I hope his assistants he brings in also have good connections to recruit.
At LSU once he lost a few games and wasn’t beating Alabama they really turned on him.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 pm the optimism in me says it could be a legacy type move

but watch, it won’t happen and he’ll get hired elsewhere
College GameDay talking about this right now.

Mixed reviews from them...they mentioned he's a great at recruiting, but that Kansas is a very hard place to recruit to for football....all understand why Kansas would go this route and agree it'd be a big hire, but some uncertain feelings about if it's a good move for Miles and/or whether it'll actually result in us being good at football.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Would it really cement his legacy?

If we become a top 25 or better team annually under him, then sure maybe.

But winning 4 or 5 games a year won't cement his legacy with anyone outside the KU fan base. It'll be pretty irrelevant nationally to a guy that's reached the mountain top like Les Miles has.
surly

Post by surly »

Solid get.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Power 5 school, renewed commitment to FB as evidenced by our new AD's background, and a continued strong funding stream via conference revenues.

No joke.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Gutter wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:28 am
Me too.
Money? A guy can get paid anywhere.
Chance to prove yourself? A guy has a chance to prove himself anywhere.
Bottom line is you have a better chance you fail than succeed at KU.
Does anyone know for sure why Les Miles can't get a better gig than the KU job?
I don't know, I would think he would have too much pride but I guess not.
KU, where head coaches go to fail.
If I am not mistaken, one freaking coach in the past 65 years has left KU with a winning record while at KU. Yes? No?
Either way, welcome aboard the failure train Les!
Don't prod me, gutter. I mean it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he can get Kansas football winning again - i.e. more wins than losses on average - then it absolutely will 'cement' his legacy.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:39 am If he can get Kansas football winning again - i.e. more wins than losses on average - then it absolutely will 'cement' his legacy.
No, it won't. When they write his obit, the first thing they will write is that he won a National Title at LSU. That's his legacy.

If he can turn Kansas into a Top 10 team, year after year, he will indeed be a miracle worker. But he's already been to the peak. That won't happen at Kansas.

I think what this announcement has done has fired up the deep-pocket folks. Look for an influx of money from the blue bloods and a big investment in the stadium. Will that lead to anything significant? Maybe a 5-6 win season in a few years. Sorry to be a downer, but how can you expect anything more?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As a Kansas football fan, all I want is a competitive team that wins 6 games a year on average. Has a few upsets of big teams and makes the team worth watching whether it be in person or on TV. Get at least 40K butts in the seats every home game and make Lawrence the place to be on Saturday home games.

I think Miles can do those things. I don’t need Miles to have OU success year in and year out. I want Iowa State/Texas Tech type of records until the next coach comes along.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG