Welcome Coach Miles!

Kansas Football.
ChalkRocker

Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by ChalkRocker »

You make sense to me, Newton, but we can do that and more. There's no reason we can't be a good team.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 am You make sense to me, Newton, but we can do that and more. There's no reason we can't be a good team.
^^^^
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 am and all of that is exactly why it would be a legacy-cementing move

if whatever coach comes on can run this program around and make competitive, or even a bowl-winner, in a couple years it would make for s great story and capstone on the career of someone like Miles
And every coach KU has hired throughout the years has likely thought the same thing - I'm the guy who's going to turn around this team and become the face of the program. And I'll get millions on top of it.

And so far there is only an unemployed fat man who can stake that claim - and not convincingly.

There is a reason so many have failed at this job and I'm not quite sure what it is. My guess is it's a commitment to bringing the program to an elite level. That's going to take millions upon millions, including additional upgrades to the stadium and a lot more than a new indoor practice facility. Maybe our guy Jeff can do this. I hope so.

I have no doubt that recent coaches - excluding Charlie Weiss - had extensive knowledge of the game of football. What they didn't have was consistent talent. Certainly not the talent to compete in the Big XII. There's some good athletes scattered here and there, but we're not going to succeed as a program by bringing in Juco players.

If there is a fix it's not going to happen for awhile. Maybe Les is the type of name that can get kids from Texas, Florida and California to come to Kansas. I know it's important to get local kids as well, but you don't win titles with kids from Derby and Dodge City.

Reasons for optimism? I suppose. Buffalo was one of the worst college programs in the country and they're pretty darn good right now. Same with Duke. I'm interested to hear from some others on here. How do you build a program that's good once every 10 years and then falls off dramatically? We're not just desperate for a decent program, just a winning one from time to time. It's NEVER happened here. Why?
This is all mostly correct.

We're attempting to turn the page to a different chapter. Jeff Long and Les Miles signal something brand new: commitment and support.

But mostly Jeff Long. What an absolute stud. I don't know why Les Miles would come here knowing our history but it signals that Jeff Long is 100% serious about changing culture. We would not have secured Miles without it.

Don't give Debbie downers like gutter the time of day. We all want to see change and it's on its way. Enjoy and embrace it because it's the first time it's ever happened here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We will be in a bowl game in 2 years. Anyone who doesn't think that Les Miles can't improve us 2 games in 2 seasons needs to stop watchong football.

Our new AD was hired to find a respected head coach with some experience and he landed freaking Les Miles. That is big time. All Les has to do is refill the cupboard and the stadium for the next 4 seasons and make us attractive to the long term solution, whoever that may be.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:27 pm
chiknbut wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 am and all of that is exactly why it would be a legacy-cementing move

if whatever coach comes on can run this program around and make competitive, or even a bowl-winner, in a couple years it would make for s great story and capstone on the career of someone like Miles
And every coach KU has hired throughout the years has likely thought the same thing - I'm the guy who's going to turn around this team and become the face of the program. And I'll get millions on top of it.

And so far there is only an unemployed fat man who can stake that claim - and not convincingly.

There is a reason so many have failed at this job and I'm not quite sure what it is. My guess is it's a commitment to bringing the program to an elite level. That's going to take millions upon millions, including additional upgrades to the stadium and a lot more than a new indoor practice facility. Maybe our guy Jeff can do this. I hope so.

I have no doubt that recent coaches - excluding Charlie Weiss - had extensive knowledge of the game of football. What they didn't have was consistent talent. Certainly not the talent to compete in the Big XII. There's some good athletes scattered here and there, but we're not going to succeed as a program by bringing in Juco players.

If there is a fix it's not going to happen for awhile. Maybe Les is the type of name that can get kids from Texas, Florida and California to come to Kansas. I know it's important to get local kids as well, but you don't win titles with kids from Derby and Dodge City.

Reasons for optimism? I suppose. Buffalo was one of the worst college programs in the country and they're pretty darn good right now. Same with Duke. I'm interested to hear from some others on here. How do you build a program that's good once every 10 years and then falls off dramatically? We're not just desperate for a decent program, just a winning one from time to time. It's NEVER happened here. Why?
This is all mostly correct.

We're attempting to turn the page to a different chapter. Jeff Long and Les Miles signal something brand new: commitment and support.

But mostly Jeff Long. What an absolute stud. I don't know why Les Miles would come here knowing our history but it signals that Jeff Long is 100% serious about changing culture. We would not have secured Miles without it.

Don't give Debbie downers like gutter the time of day. We all want to see change and it's on its way. Enjoy and embrace it because it's the first time it's ever happened here.
POTD
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"If he can turn Kansas into a Top 10 team, year after year, he will indeed be a miracle worker. But he's already been to the peak. That won't happen at Kansas."

Of course this would cement his legacy.
He would have taken three programs to success.
I don't expect miracles but it's nice to hope. He brought OK State from 3-9 to 9-3 quickly enough.

9-3?! Think of all those goalposts in potters pond?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I hope (and everyone else should hope) Miles isn't watching the Maryland/OSU game.
If he is his, his agent might be on the phone with Damon Evans right now.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

No doubt he will be an improvement over what we currently have and he very well may even be the best option out there. I'm not at all discounting the hire other than to believe Les Miles is putting himself in a very difficult situation and I just can't understand why he would want to do it - if there are better opportunities out there. Such as the Maryland job? I would say for sure the USC job > KU job.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Look you guys most likely ok in the world of basketball. Football not so much, I liked Les at LSU. Don't think LSU should have fired him. They did for a reason. Why did LSU fire Les?????
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

At this point, the only people who don't think this is a home run hire are some K-State, Mizzou, Iowa State and the small chunk of KU fans who are pessimistic of pretty much everything because they don't like to get their hopes up for fear of being disappointed.

KU is two wins from being bowl eligible and got upset by Nicholls State and lost to KSU by 4. Les Miles can get KU to a bowl game in 2 years.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm Look you guys most likely ok in the world of basketball. Football not so much, I liked Les at LSU. Don't think LSU should have fired him. They did for a reason. Why did LSU fire Les?????
cuz he was 2-2 and they didn’t think he was using his talent appropriately...old-school offensive mentality
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Well of course there is that but the powers that be decided they wanted a different coach, actually the year before they tried and then they went for it.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Les was let go because it became know that Jimbo wanted to leave FSU. How LSU messed that up not sure. Something about brinks and truck loads of money but it was more about the wiliness to spend on staff. Anyways Les during his first offseason in 2016, he missed out on jobs at Houston, Minnesota, Purdue and South Florida. And why did these programs not hire Les????
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

In the end, he couldn't beat Bama.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Ha not Alabama but Nick, The coach that was at LSU and won a championship at LSU. That !00% ego. Les beat Nick 9-6 and then lost 21-0 in the game that mattered. Hence Les needed more offense.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm Les was let go because it became know that Jimbo wanted to leave FSU. How LSU messed that up not sure. Something about brinks and truck loads of money but it was more about the wiliness to spend on staff. Anyways Les during his first offseason in 2016, he missed out on jobs at Houston, Minnesota, Purdue and South Florida. And why did these programs not hire Les????
Missed out? HE didn't want those jobs. Heck, Michigan begged him to be their coach and he didn't want it, either. He was being paid $133,000 a MONTH by LSU to not coach. Why would he walk away from that to get right back at it? He probably enjoyed having a little time with his family.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Dude.....haha you have no clue
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm Dude.....haha you have no clue

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto