Welcome Coach Miles!

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by twocoach »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:19 pm Ha not Alabama but Nick, The coach that was at LSU and won a championship at LSU. That !00% ego. Les beat Nick 9-6 and then lost 21-0 in the game that mattered. Hence Les needed more offense.
Oh no. He went 1-1 against Alabama.

Yes, we all know that LSU had offensive issues. Are we bringing him here to beat Alabama and win miltiple national titles or are we bringing him here to try to land enough decent recruits to get us up to being at least mediocre so that when Miles leaves in 4-5 years that we are attractive to a hot coaching prospect that has a good base to build from?

You are arguing points that are 100% irrelevant to our situation and have forgotten to to keep the actual goal of what he is tasked to do in mind.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm Look you guys most likely ok in the world of basketball. Football not so much, I liked Les at LSU. Don't think LSU should have fired him. They did for a reason. Why did LSU fire Les?????

For the same reason all SEC schools fire coaches. They all believe they should be Alabama
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Nope they fired him to get Jimbo Fisher. Look if you said we were hiring Army HC I would say fantastic.
Les is charlie 2.0 not what we need. Look Beaty was not a bad hire. Charlie was a terrible hire. Gill a reach but might pay off. Purdue walked away for a reason. Some of you think 6 wins is cool. Really!!!!

TWOCOACH said
You are arguing points that are 100% irrelevant to our situation and have forgotten to to keep the actual goal of what he is tasked to do in mind.

Our situation is what we make of it. There is no reason ever and I mean ever Kstate has a better team then us. Do you understand not ever in your existence should KState have a better team then us. That is the task at hand.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Been down so long that mediocre looks up from here.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Les Miles in Chapel Hill today watching son play. Flight from Raleigh to topeka first thing in the morning. Interesting
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Gotta figure the public announcement and press conference is coming tomorrow.
Holidaysmore - 2005
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Gutter wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:15 pm No doubt he will be an improvement over what we currently have and he very well may even be the best option out there. I'm not at all discounting the hire other than to believe Les Miles is putting himself in a very difficult situation and I just can't understand why he would want to do it - if there are better opportunities out there. Such as the Maryland job? I would say for sure the USC job > KU job.
Could be because he likes and has a whole lot of respect for Long. Maybe he sees a better AD/coach relationship here than anywhere else. How was that relationship at LSU over a period of time (honest question; I don’t follow the SEC)?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:54 pm Nope they fired him to get Jimbo Fisher. Look if you said we were hiring Army HC I would say fantastic.
Les is charlie 2.0 not what we need. Look Beaty was not a bad hire. Charlie was a terrible hire. Gill a reach but might pay off. Purdue walked away for a reason. Some of you think 6 wins is cool. Really!!!!

TWOCOACH said

Our situation is what we make of it. There is no reason ever and I mean ever Kstate has a better team then us. Do you understand not ever in your existence should KState have a better team then us. That is the task at hand.
Actually, they fired him because he was losing to Arkansas, Ol' Miss, Miss State, almost lost to A&M, not just Alabama. Coaches from those schools were coming closer to or beating Saban at Bama, and Saban had modernized his offense. Les promised to and did not. What happened with Fisher is that Miles had politicked with Bobby Jindal and Jindal got involved in threatening LSU that if Miles were fired, the academic side would lose money.

Miles had a huge buyout because he'd threatened LSU with going to Michigan and Arkansas--both just threats--and there was a big concern that it looked bad to pay this huge buyout of $15 million, when LSU was asking the legislature for money, so Miles go t to stay until the next season, when he started off with no change in offense and losses and they were all just tired of him.

Jimbo Fisher had been the OC at LSU under Saban and in the early Miles years when he actually allowed QBs to throw a few passes, and they really wanted him back, but it got caught in the Jindal, buyout stuff. As for the AD, Miles pretty much got everything he wanted from him, high paid staff, ridiculous contract extensions.

Also, Les Miles didn't turn LSU around, at all, ever. Nick Saban did that. Schools like Nebraska had a direct pipeline to Louisiana recruits and Saban shut that down.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’m amazed at the negativity some have about this hire

what do those of you who aren’t supportive of it want/hope/expect?
colbond

Post by colbond »

Kufan1

Post by Kufan1 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 am i’m amazed at the negativity some have about this hire

Pay no attention to these miserables.

Incredible day for KUFB. Tremendous work by our AD.

And, let’s beat Texas on Saturday.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Who is being negative about the hire? No one should be. He's probably the best option out there.
Completely understandable if people are negative about the state of KU Football and feel Miles (or anyone else) is coming to a dumpster fire and aren't convinced he will be turn the program in to a much better than average one. I wish him and KU Football nothing but the best.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... s-jayhawks
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Gutter wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 am Who is being negative about the hire? No one should be. He's probably the best option out there.
Completely understandable if people are negative about the state of KU Football and feel Miles (or anyone else) is coming to a dumpster fire and aren't convinced he will be turn the program in to a much better than average one. I wish him and KU Football nothing but the best.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... s-jayhawks
It's a fact - there is very little reason to be optimistic about KU football. Look at our history - no one has been able to build a long-lasting successful program here. Not entirely sure why. Facilities? Maybe. It might be that we can't get the 5-star kids because LSU, Texas, Bama, Oklahoma and others tell their recruits that they will forever be in the shadow of a great basketball program if they come to KU. Who knows?

I can safely say that Miles is not Weiss 2.0. That's an asinine comment. Weiss never had any success other than when he happened to luck into being the quarterback coach for a Hall of Famer. He was a con and a thief and the AD who hired him should be burned in effigy on campus.

Look at some of the comments on here. Some saying that what they want out of the program is 6-7 wins every once in awhile. Maybe that's the reason KU football has nearly always been bad. Expectations are so low we settle for a great season in between 4-5 mediocre-to-bad seasons.

If there's optimism it's that Miles is a big-name hire. Kind of a perfect guy for this situation. A guy who wants to go out by adding to his legacy - and bagging some serious coin in the meantime. He's not the next big MAC coach who might win a few years and then move on to a powerhouse. He's not looking for another job. This is it.

Big thanks to Long for putting KU football on the ESPN crawl. Can't tell you how many calls, texts and pats on the back I got from people yesterday - even if half of them were in jest. And I have to say it, thanks to Beatty for resurrecting an absolute for-shit program. Time management problems and all, KU football looks like it's breathing. Thank God mostly for Pooka. You can build a program around a guy like that.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 am i’m amazed at the negativity some have about this hire

Pay no attention to these miserables.

Incredible day for KUFB. Tremendous work by our AD.

And, let’s beat Texas on Saturday.
^^^^Pay attention to these guys.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Fantastic hire, imo.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

about as good of a hire as any KU football fan could ask for.

1. Is Bowen retained in some sort of capacity?
2. Does Beaty coach anywhere next year?
3. Is Hull retained?

First things first you keep Hull. Even despite his LA connection RB’s have been one of the lone bright spots through the dark ages and if that is what keeps Pooka happy you do it.
Holidaysmore - 2005
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am about as good of a hire as any KU football fan could ask for.

3. Is Hull retained?

First things first you keep Hull. Even despite his LA connection RB’s have been one of the lone bright spots through the dark ages and if that is what keeps Pooka happy you do it.
1. I don't know about Bowen.... I like him but not sure he is a great coach. Nice guy, loves KU, might want to leave because Beaty is his friend
2. I bet Beaty coaches somewhere as a position coach
3. I think Hull will be retained.

But I don't think Long needs to force Miles to do anything except make sure he has a good OC.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am about as good of a hire as any KU football fan could ask for.

3. Is Hull retained?

I can't see Bowen being retained. That chapter needs to close.

You absolutely try and keep Hull. If Hull leaves, so does Pooka. The good thing is Miles is about the only coach that we could have hired that can convince Hull to stay. I'm sure slimy Orgeron has been blowing Hull's phone up already.

Keeping Hull is huge because of the recruiting. He fits right in with areas that Miles knows. RB coach is just a title. A HS coach could jump right in and "coach" running backs.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Press conference at 5.