What was your favorite bar in Lawrence?

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: What was your favorite bar in Lawrence?

Post by pdub »

Went there for my little brothers bachelor party last year.
It was excellent.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Good food, good beer, noisy as fuck. I thought Freestate was loud.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hmm, I have been there several times and have only received very sub-par food.

Beer is good and the East location is a great addition to the Lawrence scene. Haven't been to the new one out west.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i went back in june and was unimpressed...but they didn’t have their own brew ready back then

even so, the food was underwhelming
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thought the food was good as Lawrence goes.
Vibe was very fun.
Service excellent.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The owner of Pachamomas(sp) is the one that developed the menu.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am RIP Pyramid Pizza
Wait what.
That sucks...pokey sticks!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

zsn wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm Anyone remember Sanctuary? Used to be a "private club", torn down around 1988-ish, around 7th and Arkansas. It was great. They used to have tacos bar and $2 pitchers, IIRC a $3 cover. Fun place. Another one was an 18-bar on 9th (at Louisiana?) called Palladium or Pladium or something. Turned into a laundromat and gas station around the late 80's. Used to hang out at the Crossing and the Wheel as it was closer to my apartment (across from the frats on Emery)

When I was briefly in Lawrence earlier this year (after a long time) I had a great experience at the Burger Stand (Casbah) in Downtown. I really liked the good (large) selection of draft beers and the lively experience, especially in the basement.
Sanctuary was a big haunt when I was a senior. Finally stopped going when I saw the roaches on the wall near the taco bar.

The Paladium was a rock bar with really bad live music in the early 1980s, as I recall. Briefly it was also called The Power Station, or something like that. Saw the glorious Morrell's there one night. I believe it became a laundromat shortly after that show.

Anyone ever catch a show at The Loft? It was on Mass Street, second floor where Waxman is currently housed. Was owned by a nurse with a mohawk who worked in Kansas City. Sweet woman who opened the place up for bands. I swear some nights it seemed like the floor was going to collapse.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Didn't they serve breakfast there the next morning?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am
zsn wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm Anyone remember Sanctuary? Used to be a "private club", torn down around 1988-ish, around 7th and Arkansas. It was great. They used to have tacos bar and $2 pitchers, IIRC a $3 cover. Fun place. Another one was an 18-bar on 9th (at Louisiana?) called Palladium or Pladium or something. Turned into a laundromat and gas station around the late 80's. Used to hang out at the Crossing and the Wheel as it was closer to my apartment (across from the frats on Emery)

When I was briefly in Lawrence earlier this year (after a long time) I had a great experience at the Burger Stand (Casbah) in Downtown. I really liked the good (large) selection of draft beers and the lively experience, especially in the basement.
Sanctuary was a big haunt when I was a senior. Finally stopped going when I saw the roaches on the wall near the taco bar.

The Paladium was a rock bar with really bad live music in the early 1980s, as I recall. Briefly it was also called The Power Station, or something like that. Saw the glorious Morrell's there one night. I believe it became a laundromat shortly after that show.

Anyone ever catch a show at The Loft? It was on Mass Street, second floor where Waxman is currently housed. Was owned by a nurse with a mohawk who worked in Kansas City. Sweet woman who opened the place up for bands. I swear some nights it seemed like the floor was going to collapse.
Ain't nobody never heard of the "Morrells"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4NvMxllM7Y
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Gammons. A Larry Brown frequent destination, for some reason.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 am Didn't they serve breakfast there the next morning?
Yes they did, my friend Christine was the one who started that before the nurse moved into the apartment and took the things over. I saw the Replacements play there more than once. Bands would play there after their show at Off The Wall Hall until they passed out. The shows lasted until 3:00 AM and then the folks who lived in the apartment would get up and start cooking and serving breakfast early the next morning. It was a collective of sorts that lived there and ran things. When Christine left she recruited me to take her place, the people who lived there chose the people to move in after them. I had a part time job at the Getty gas station on Mass Street while in school and my shift was opening on Sunday mornings. The idea of getting up and cooking people breakfast before I went to open the gas station didn't appeal to me much, so I passed. It was a fun place to hang out though.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not sure if i should be disappointed or impressed that nobody has mentioned the outhouse, dirty bird, all stars, or paradise saloon
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RIP Phoggy Dog.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One morning after the outhouse my homie woke up with pink eye LOL
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:40 pm
defixione wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 am Didn't they serve breakfast there the next morning?
Yes they did, my friend Christine was the one who started that before the nurse moved into the apartment and took the things over. I saw the Replacements play there more than once. Bands would play there after their show at Off The Wall Hall until they passed out. The shows lasted until 3:00 AM and then the folks who lived in the apartment would get up and start cooking and serving breakfast early the next morning. It was a collective of sorts that lived there and ran things. When Christine left she recruited me to take her place, the people who lived there chose the people to move in after them. I had a part time job at the Getty gas station on Mass Street while in school and my shift was opening on Sunday mornings. The idea of getting up and cooking people breakfast before I went to open the gas station didn't appeal to me much, so I passed. It was a fun place to hang out though.
was Paul Westerberg wearing black and white striped pants at The Replacements show?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Leawood wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:48 pm Gammons. A Larry Brown frequent destination, for some reason.
Oh yes. My then girlfriend/future wife danced with him there one night.

She got out before things go too randy.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

No one served me any fucking breakfast. Bastards.