This team...

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: This team...

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The switch has to flip. And Bill needs to get him there. He knew what he was getting in Q.

His defense is wildly bad. This is like Selby level when it comes to learning assignments.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Raise your hand if you predicted that the core of this team would be Dedric/Vick/Dotson.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Grimes development is puzzling considering how good he looked against MSU. You can tell he is frustrated and thinking way to much.
If I would add something to the suggestion box I thought Self had a pretty quick trigger on pulling him in the first half for Garrett. I would love to see him get moving downhill more instead of floating around looking for jump shots. (I did like him going to the post early)

IMO Dok is where this team gets in trouble. Basketball isn’t built around a back to the basket 7 ft’er anymore. Especially a big man who can’t consistently get out and guard on ball screens, shoots some where in the low 40s at the FT and doesn’t have great footwork in the post.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 amIMO Dok is where this team gets in trouble. Basketball isn’t built around a back to the basket 7 ft’er anymore. Especially a big man who can’t consistently get out and guard on ball screens, shoots some where in the low 40s at the FT and doesn’t have great footwork in the post.
I hear ya, but then I look at Dok's lines and we need the production. What I think Bill needs to do is just figure out the best times to use Dok's 25-30 minutes. There are obviously stretched of the game where he's a liability.

Dedric and Dok are going to fill the box score with crooked numbers, but we need Dotson/Grimes/Vick to take us home.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 am Grimes development is puzzling considering how good he looked against MSU. You can tell he is frustrated and thinking way to much.
If I would add something to the suggestion box I thought Self had a pretty quick trigger on pulling him in the first half for Garrett. I would love to see him get moving downhill more instead of floating around looking for jump shots. (I did like him going to the post early)

IMO Dok is where this team gets in trouble. Basketball isn’t built around a back to the basket 7 ft’er anymore. Especially a big man who can’t consistently get out and guard on ball screens, shoots some where in the low 40s at the FT and doesn’t have great footwork in the post.
In a way, hitting all those shots against MSU was the worst thing that could have happened to him.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am Raise your hand if you predicted that the core of this team would be Dedric/Vick/Dotson.
I had Vick and Dedric. But I didn't have the confidence in Dotson. But I do now. Vick and Lawson can be off for a game or two but Dotson is the key to the season.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

...unless this really is Vick. I still can't buy it, but I'm getting closer.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Big Dok had a very good game. MG had a very good game. MG don’t score much. But he is our best defender.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We are a mere 7 games into this season. Silly to expect that we should be hitting on all cylinders.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:54 am We look best with Dok on the floor.
Yes.

His high usage and offensive efficiency are evidence of that. He also leads our team in blocks and is 2nd in rebounds.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I love Mich, but at this same time in Bill Self’s first year, he wanted him fired.

I love how age gives you perspective.
Deleted User 75

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 am considering how good he looked against MSU..
Was that "looking good" or "hitting shots"?

He's not an elite outside shooter..we knew that going into the season.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:04 pm We are a mere 7 games into this season. Silly to expect that we should be hitting on all cylinders.
Even sillier to post as if you're actually literate.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Today is December 2, 2018.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

It is.

Which is why the words/disclaimer "so far" appear in the OP.
Deleted User 75

Tomorrow is December 3rd, 2018.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am Raise your hand if you predicted that the core of this team would be Dedric/Vick/Dotson.
Dedric's numbers are what I expected. His impact on the offense is worse. With Self carrying on about what a great passer he is I expected him to.....pass here and there instead of being such a ball stopper.

Vick is way more than I expected. Dude is on fire, I hope it lasts as long as possible and that what he averages out to is also better than I expected.

Dotson is what I hoped he would be, poised, pretty under control and very situationally aware which is all you can do with a freshman. I certainly didn't expect him to be where he is this early. A nice plus that is needed with Grimes being behind where most hoped he would be right now.

Dok is Dok. His free throw shooting and inabilty to avoid fouls are the only things that can stop him.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

After a month in, Self thinks the identity is taking form. Team has much more ability to be better defensively than we thought. Can be one of our better defensive teams. Guys can get out and after it better than past.
I am, I said.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Agreed. This team has been pretty good on the defensive end.
Now, if they would just start showing up in the 1st half.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Miss having at least the threat of a shot blocker.