This team...

Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: This team...

Post by Soklous »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm Miss having at least the threat of a shot blocker.

A media member asked if the perimeter defense was good enough to negate have a true shot blocker at the rim. Self kinda danced with the answer, but said it certainly helps.

IMO... Dedric has done great work blocking shots with his length as clearly not getting above rim for it. Not saying he’s a shot blocker, only he has surpassed my expectations defensively.
I am, I said.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I thought Dedric could have been called for a bunch of fouls on Tuesday night. Whenever the guy went towards the lane Dedric was leaning on him and not even close to vertical. That and a few quick slaps he had at the ball to knock them away are usually 50/50 fouls or not, no matter how clean they are.

If he has surpassed your expectations, then yours were much lower than mine. And I wouldn't say mine were very high.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

He always stands with his arms straight up, and then brings them down right as the guy is shooting.... that's going to result in a few blocks and a lot of fouls. Can't afford him to be in foul trouble EVER while Dok is out.

For a guy who seems to average 20 and 10 without breaking a sweat, it is easy to see why there is very little interest from the NBA in him..
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

7 blocks and 9 steals for someone who has never shown a day of defense in their career is promising to me. I don’t know how to factor in, or quantify “the ref should have called him for more fouls” into the equation, but his effort is there and improving by the game. That’s good for me.

Anyone playing better post D on the team this year? Last year?
I am, I said.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This team is 7-0 so far against a pretty good schedule. Sometimes we look ugly. Sometimes we look pretty. To be expected 4 weeks into the season. Especially considering we turned over a good chunk of the roster.

So far so good.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm This team is 7-0 so far against a pretty good schedule. Sometimes we look ugly. Sometimes we look pretty. To be expected 4 weeks into the season. Especially considering we turned over a good chunk of the roster.

So far so good.

Just wait for our annual Sprint Center suckfest this weekend. Against New Mexico State, it’s already a done deal.
I am, I said.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I actually think we win this one. I hate playing at the sprint center, though. Can't we move it to Kemperdump?
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have friends flying in for KU/NMSU and KC/BAL this weekend.

Now why in the world would you do that combo, instead of KC/LA and KU/Nova, if you're going to the time and expense of coming all this way.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm I actually think we win this one. I hate playing at the sprint center, though. Can't we move it to Kemperdump?

I believe we win too. Being down and beating up on an undefeated team is the plot here. The isolated Sprint game brings the noise for that topic.

Big 12 and NCAA Spint games are good for KU.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

And Kemper has been renovated for Pickleball.
I am, I said.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Soklous wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:42 pm 7 blocks and 9 steals for someone who has never shown a day of defense in their career is promising to me. I don’t know how to factor in, or quantify “the ref should have called him for more fouls” into the equation, but his effort is there and improving by the game. That’s good for me.

You're looking at a box score to make a decision on his defense. What about watching the games? Have you seen how often he is flat footed on the defensive end? That doesn't change once his man gets the ball. It almost seems like a defensive stance to him is bending over at the waist to say he got lower. He does put his arms out wide though, I'll give him that one. One thing that helps him avoid foul trouble is that his man is past him before he can even react enough to just foul him, let alone stop him.

Without Dok, he will be guarding the 5. I don't see many times he goes into halftime without 2 fouls. I can't say I would have less confidence if Garrett was guarding the post as opposed to Dedric, when the post is a 4. He just doesn't have the size to guard a 5 and being a pest/making him work can only go so far when the size is that much different.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Soklous wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:04 pm And Kemper has been renovated for Pickleball.
Pickleball? Not sure I want to know.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I played pickleball in gym class in middle school.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:06 pm
Soklous wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:42 pm 7 blocks and 9 steals for someone who has never shown a day of defense in their career is promising to me. I don’t know how to factor in, or quantify “the ref should have called him for more fouls” into the equation, but his effort is there and improving by the game. That’s good for me.

You're looking at a box score to make a decision on his defense. What about watching the games? Have you seen how often he is flat footed on the defensive end? That doesn't change once his man gets the ball. It almost seems like a defensive stance to him is bending over at the waist to say he got lower. He does put his arms out wide though, I'll give him that one. One thing that helps him avoid foul trouble is that his man is past him before he can even react enough to just foul him, let alone stop him.

Without Dok, he will be guarding the 5. I don't see many times he goes into halftime without 2 fouls. I can't say I would have less confidence if Garrett was guarding the post as opposed to Dedric, when the post is a 4. He just doesn't have the size to guard a 5 and being a pest/making him work can only go so far when the size is that much different.

If you are are concerned about Lawson’s play without Doke, perhaps it’s you who needs to be questioned about watching.

Azubuikes 141 minutes this season come out to be exactly 1 half of basketball per game. It’s also where we have been most efficient, gotten stops and won the majority of contests.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:14 pm I played pickleball in gym class in middle school.

Number 1 Sport in the greater KC area. It’s taken the rec spec wearing racketball psychos to a brave new world.
I am, I said.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We are not a better team without Big Dok in the lineup.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm We are not a better team without Big Dok in the lineup.
Is anyone saying we're better off without Doke?
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm We are not a better team without Big Dok in the lineup.
Is anyone saying we're better off without Doke?

I was only trying to provide a statement that Dedric wasn’t a disaster without him. I want Doke out there tossing bitches every minute he can.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Pickleball was so fun in high school. I took 2 PE classes senior year back to back hours....me and my partner rarely lost.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

This will give a chance to play 41, a chance for David Mac and Lightfoot to contribute solid minutes. Dok might play at ASU.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster