Cut the Cord - sort of

Coffee talk.
chiknbut

Cut the Cord - sort of

Post by chiknbut »

Just dialed down the cable to bare minimum and bought Sling. Hoping I don't regret this.

Either way, saving quite a bit of money.

Anyone else?
Deleted User 89

Re: Cut the Cord - sort of

Post by Deleted User 89 »

no cable

sling
netflix
hbo
digital antenna
colbond

Post by colbond »

What do you do for internet access? I'm seriously debating ditching comcast and either doing business class cable or centurylink DSL.
Deleted User 89

colbond wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 pm What do you do for internet access? I'm seriously debating ditching comcast and either doing business class cable or centurylink DSL.
had at&t in lawrence

centurylink in utah
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sling and Netflix is all I have and that’s plenty for me.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

So I'm thinking about doing this. I currently pay $150/month for Google basic cable and 100mbps internet. I think internet alone through Google is $50/month. So SlingTv is about $25/month, right?

Question is, my living room TV is new, meaning it's a smart TV and doesn't need a Roku or Fire Stick, but I also have a TV in my bedroom that is maybe 8 years old. I don't think it's technically a smart TV, meaning it doesn't have wifi built in. Do I need a Roku box or fire stick or something comparable to those to get Sling?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 am So I'm thinking about doing this. I currently pay $150/month for Google basic cable and 100mbps internet. I think internet alone through Google is $50/month. So SlingTv is about $25/month, right?

Question is, my living room TV is new, meaning it's a smart TV and doesn't need a Roku or Fire Stick, but I also have a TV in my bedroom that is maybe 8 years old. I don't think it's technically a smart TV, meaning it doesn't have wifi built in. Do I need a Roku box or fire stick or something comparable to those to get Sling?
Yes that is correct. We have a firestick for our TV downstairs that is about 8 or so years old. Works great.

Have a chromecast for TV in bedroom that you can stream from your phone. Pretty handy.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I can't deal with the buffering. I was at a friends house watching the Kansas game last week and it was unbearable. Went home at half time.

I use Chromecast for ESPN+ and it's not too bad most of the time, but I won't cut the cord because I don't want to be annoyed during important Kansas games.
shindig

Post by shindig »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 am I can't deal with the buffering. I was at a friends house watching the Kansas game last week and it was unbearable. Went home at half time.

I use Chromecast for ESPN+ and it's not too bad most of the time, but I won't cut the cord because I don't want to be annoyed during important Kansas games.
I generally never have any buffering issues when I am watching Netflix, so I'm not sure if I would have buffering issues with Sling or not? I saw that Sling has a 7 day trial, so I might do some testing this weekend before I decide to cut the cord.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 am I can't deal with the buffering. I was at a friends house watching the Kansas game last week and it was unbearable. Went home at half time.

The buffering isn't too bad if you have a decent internet. We haven't had any issues. Literally there is 2 downfalls to Sling. It's on about a 15 second delay from real time. Second, there is an orange package (Has ESPN channels) and only one device can view those channels. So for example, you can't watch the game on Sling from 1 TV and your wife watch in a different room with the same Sling info. It'll kick both of you off. The Blue (Fox Sports mainly) allows up to 4 devices to watch continuously.

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My smart tv (Visio) wasn’t smart enough for Sling until I got Amazon Fire Tv stick. I love the Fire. I don’t know how we survived without voice command. I haven’t gotten Sling yet, but I expect too.

I have not had cable tv nor a landline for at least 16 years.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 am

The buffering isn't too bad if you have a decent internet. We haven't had any issues. Literally there is 2 downfalls to Sling. It's on about a 15 second delay from real time. Second, there is an orange package (Has ESPN channels) and only one device can view those channels. So for example, you can't watch the game on Sling from 1 TV and your wife watch in a different room with the same Sling info. It'll kick both of you off. The Blue (Fox Sports mainly) allows up to 4 devices to watch continuously.
Shit, I didn't see that about the Orange package. Can't imagine that's going to happen too often, though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Here's a good website about pros and cons.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sling-oran ... 22923.html

Overall it's been good for me and the family.

Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

All Cable stuff is going the way of the dinosaur. Internet is the future of all video entertainment.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your friend, if he is real, needs better internet.
Deleted User 89

lol
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

pdub wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm
Your friend, if he is real, needs better internet.
Not everyone is as privileged as you to have Google Fiber. Must be a white privilege thing.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I started the free trial with Sling last weekend. I used it to watch the New Mexico State game (no buffering). I think I’m going to keep it for Kansas b-ball.
I’m surprised that I don’t watch anything else on the other Sling channels. I’ve lived so long without a bunch of choices, I guess I just really don’t need them.
Deleted User 89

they have movies on demand as well
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:40 pm Here's a good website about pros and cons.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sling-oran ... 22923.html

Overall it's been good for me and the family.
One week in and few problems. No buffering issues at all. Still have to get used to the channels. Now thinking of dialing up to the Orange and Blue package.

Sling came with a free Roku device. Is this overkill? Does Roku offer anything additional since I've already got Amazon Fire and Netflix?