Used car buying

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Used car buying

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm Rolling it into the loan is even dumber.

You are a finance manager's wet dream!
Lol.. dude it was like 500$
Not after you rolled it into the loan.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:57 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm If more people thought/behaved like Dr. Pepper, we'd all be far better prepared for the next downturn.
Bring debt free and having cash during a downturn is fantastic. People start selling their toys (campers, cabins, boats, motorcycles, etc) for cheap.
Yep. No car loan, credit card balance, student loand or mortgage payment for this guy. My only debt is a condo in Keystone and the rentals cover the expenses.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm My experience with audi drivers are they don't know how to drive and they're assholes. I'd steer clear.

Maybe that's only true on the east coast.
Don't know how to drive and are assholes describes a large portion of the east coast north of North Carolina, regardless of the brand of car they drive.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:14 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm My experience with audi drivers are they don't know how to drive and they're assholes. I'd steer clear.

Don't know how to drive and are assholes describes a large portion of the east coast north of North Carolina, regardless of the brand of car they drive.
There are more cars on the road. I don't think driving is any worse, in fact overall it's probably better.

Sounds like you just couldn't handle traffic.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:14 am

There are more cars on the road. I don't think driving is any worse, in fact overall it's probably better.

Sounds like you just couldn't handle traffic.
Nah, I lived out there from ages 17-22 so my aggressive driving (at the time) fit in just fine. I didn't have daily traffic where I lived; I just did a lot of traveling between Delaware and DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC. Horrible drivers were the norm and they took pride in it.

Aggressive is fine, it actually keeps traffic moving. But the total disregard for others on the road creates traffic problems that result in inefficient travel for everyone. And it was based on a "fuck you, my time is more valuable than yours" competitive attitude that I found existed in a much larger percentage of east coasters than here in the midwest.

Just my opinion. It's how it felt to me. Maybe you're more of a "fuck you" guy and it isn't as noticable to you.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 am

Aggressive is fine, it actually keeps traffic moving. But the total disregard for others on the road creates traffic problems that result in inefficient travel for everyone. And it was based on a "fuck you, my time is more valuable than yours" competitive attitude that I found existed in a much larger percentage of east coasters than here in the midwest.
This is true. There's also more, "I'll just double park in this two lane one-way street while I run in to this coffee shop and get my coffee." or "Fuck you, I'm making a left turn from the right lane".

But there are fewer blue haired women who can't see over the steering wheel, or 65 year old guys in their farm truck who have decided no one else should be in a hurry and that it's cool to drive 20 mph under the speed limit.

The actual competency of the average driver is higher, there are lot more people commuting to work, or driving professionally, than in the midwest, where the roads are filled with old women going to sewing circles and 14 year olds who just got their license and want to see what they can do.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 am

This is true. There's also more, "I'll just double park in this two lane one-way street while I run in to this coffee shop and get my coffee." or "Fuck you, I'm making a left turn from the right lane".

But there are fewer blue haired women who can't see over the steering wheel, or 65 year old guys in their farm truck who have decided no one else should be in a hurry and that it's cool to drive 20 mph under the speed limit.

The actual competency of the average driver is higher, there are lot more people commuting to work, or driving professionally, than in the midwest, where the roads are filled with old women going to sewing circles and 14 year olds who just got their license and want to see what they can do.
The difference being that when I commute to work in the Midwest, the little old ladies, farm truck drivers and 15 year olds aren't on the same roads. They live in some little dinky town that would require a special trip to encounter. The only dipshits I encounter are people playing on their phones while they drive and I doubt that is exclusive to the Midwest.

If I was living on the east coast, my commute would be side by side with all of the assholes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 am

The difference being that when I commute to work in the Midwest, the little old ladies, farm truck drivers and 15 year olds aren't on the same roads. They live in some little dinky town that would require a special trip to encounter. The only dipshits I encounter are people playing on their phones while they drive and I doubt that is exclusive to the Midwest.

If I was living on the east coast, my commute would be side by side with all of the assholes.
No, it's exactly the opposite. I-95 is people driving to get somewhere. The little old ladies and the teenagers don't seem to venture on to it. I-80 on the other hand has every single type of person there is on the road.

The old lady in Milford never leaves Milford. The old lady in Gretna still has to drive in to the big city of Omaha to get to Michaels for the yarn sale on Tuesday.

Plus with actual public transportation, not just a bus system, people who don't want to drive aren't forced to.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You're both right.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

well, I certainly am.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

West Omaha and western Sarpy County have all grown enough that those folks out in Gretna, Ashland and Wahoo don't venture into Omaha proper much any more, especially since Omaha annexed Elkhorn.

My 13 mile commute downtown takes 12-15 full speed, nonaggravating minutes. If it rains or snows it might take 20 minutes. 6+ inches of snow and I schedule about 45 minutes.

Let me know how long a 13 mile commute into downtown NYC/Boston would take.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 am West Omaha and western Sarpy County have all grown enough that those folks out in Gretna, Ashland and Wahoo don't venture into Omaha proper much any more, especially since Omaha annexed Elkhorn.

My 13 mile commute downtown takes 12-15 full speed, nonaggravating minutes. If it rains or snows it might take 20 minutes. 6+ inches of snow and I schedule about 45 minutes.

Let me know how long a 13 mile commute into downtown NYC/Boston would take.
Might take 2 hours.

But it's not because of bad drivers.

You're making my point for me, there are WAY more people on the road. The percentage of them who are lousy at driving is much less, because of necessity. You can get away with never becoming a good driver when there are more cows along the road than there are cars on the road.

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:04 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm Rolling it into the loan is even dumber.

You are a finance manager's wet dream!
Lol.. dude it was like 500$
Not after you rolled it into the loan.
Ok....you got me.... add in the interest of 500$ additional dollars spread over 5 years. It's peanuts compared to having to finance nearly 100% and then getting in a wreck and being totally screwed.

....and seeing as how I pounded a deer going about 55mph 3 months after I got the vehicle I'm glad I had GAP....didn't use it since my car wasn't totalled, but it is worth the piece of mind since I will be upside down on value of car compared to loan amount for the next several years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

These two things can both be true:

1. Insurance-type products like GAP coverage or home warranties are out-of-the-money bets; and

2. For some people, the cost certainty of the out-of-the-money bet might be preferable to the possibility of significant exposure.

This is true:

1. People who lecture strangers online about their money management are being assholes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am

This is true:

1. People who lecture strangers online about their money management are being assholes.
Things I've learned from people who post on the internet:

1. Everyone has their finances in perfect order, even though something like 40% of Americans have less than $1,000 in liquid money.

2. Everyone hates chain restaurants and looks down their noses at people who eat at them. But if you go to a chili's on a Wednesday night there is a 15 minute wait.

3. Actresses in movies and models aren't that hot and the guys who post online could or are dating hotter women.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

So you're saying posting on message boards makes you wealthier and better looking?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

<smilez>

fun thread to read when drunk...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am

This is true:

Things I've learned from people who post on the internet:

1. Everyone has their finances in perfect order, even though something like 40% of Americans have less than $1,000 in liquid money.

2. Everyone hates chain restaurants and looks down their noses at people who eat at them. But if you go to a chili's on a Wednesday night there is a 15 minute wait.

3. Actresses in movies and models aren't that hot and the guys who post online could or are dating hotter women.
based solely on the above, these guys seem very, very smart.

"...solely on the above..."
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

What's wrong with you people? Y'all should be buyin' those electric vehicles or at least a hybrid if you want to cut down on global warming. Tradition, you there?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My next car will fly