Recruiting 2019

Kansas Football.
Jakehawk

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by Jakehawk »

I know it's based on more numbers of recruits right now, but according to Rivals KU now has the 18th best class and 2nd in Big 12 for 2020. Things will change between now and signing day, but this is nice. And pretty much all H.S. players too!
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Pessimistic side says Beaty had a top class too and I believe only Harris ended up actually signing. The optimistic side says that things have to be different with Les at the helm.

If this team can win some games next year and surprise some people I could see this type of recruiting success be the norm and not the exception.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Somewhat of a difference. Beaty had to hold on to those guys for a year. Those guys all committed as the season ended. Miles and Co got everyone in June and will be a battle for 6 months with the December signing period.

They just have to show improvement and keep the enthusiasm and interest going. Beaty couldn't carry recruiting momentum through the season. I think Les has a better chance than Beaty in that regard. If they can do that, I think recruits will want to come here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Agreed with all of those points, Newton. I'm positive a few of them will change their mind but the thing I really like is that he is getting HIGH SCHOOL kids. He is slowly starting to re-build this program. He signs one or two **** and that ranking could jump higher quickly.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There is a big difference between 20 hard commits in June than 3 solo February commits right after junior days.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:34 am Agreed with all of those points, Newton. I'm positive a few of them will change their mind but the thing I really like is that he is getting HIGH SCHOOL kids. He is slowly starting to re-build this program. He signs one or two **** and that ranking could jump higher quickly.
I believe all of them are high school kids, right?

Which is perfect. Get 20 HS kids, and then fill with plug and play JUCOs and go from there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:46 am There is a big difference between 20 hard commits in June than 3 solo February commits right after junior days.
HUGE difference. I feel better about holding on to these guys compared to Devonta Jason, JaMarr Chase (I believe he committed to 3 different schools before finally signing with LSU) and others.

What I seem to like about this recruiting surge is that the guys that are committing are all close. Commenting on each others twitter, hugging after committing in the complex and other things. The staff seems to be creating a strong together vibe and a "Let's do this together" mentality.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Some of those HS OL they got seem like they could become big boys with the a food program.

6'4, 6'5, 6'6.

Then a 6'6 WR and a 6'7 WR/TE Hybrid role. Les likes him some size.

vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Also easier to hold on to 2 and 3 star kids then the 4 and 5 star kids. When Clemson, Tide, Sooners,etc. come calling you should listen. They aren't calling if you are a 2 or 3. Hope these guys have good Sr. seasons, but not too good where the blue bloods apply pressure.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -interests

KU got another solid pickup yesterday. Kid picked KU over Tennessee, Memphis, Indiana and others.

51st OLB in the country, 31st best prospect in Louisiana. Kansas has 4 of the top 50 guys in Louisiana committed to them for 2020. Not too bad.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Now I know why Les and Long want a 50 in 2-year rule rather 25 in 1-year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They are going to run out of space this year. I think at 20 scholarships now. 21 guys are committed, but one is believed to be a PWO. And it's only June. These guys are getting in early.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Big XII is weaker to me than its been in a long time aside from OU. Kansas is well-coached for the first time in a decade. Only 10 starters remain from a team that had maybe only a couple of true starters and still almost beat UT and KSU. Probably did beat KSU without some suspect holding calls. I think we will see six wins based on upgrades in schemes, development and players. Recruiting was about upgrading from the incumbent and I think Les did mostly. QB was pretty miserable after Baylor, but Les has a range of options. Beaty was the worst QB head coach I have seen.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:18 pm The Big XII is weaker to me than its been in a long time aside from OU. Kansas is well-coached for the first time in a decade. Only 10 starters remain from a team that had maybe only a couple of true starters and still almost beat UT and KSU. Probably did beat KSU without some suspect holding calls. I think we will see six wins based on upgrades in schemes, development and players. Recruiting was about upgrading from the incumbent and I think Les did mostly. QB was pretty miserable after Baylor, but Les has a range of options. Beaty was the worst QB head coach I have seen.
all fair points.

I don't think we get 6 wins. I think we have a roster that should win 2 games, I think we probably win 3, and maybe Miles is good enough to get us to 4.

But, man, I want some of what you and Newton are drinking because I'd like to feel so positive.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right. We're not going to be very good. Like 2-3 wins good.

But, it's going to be a lot less frustrating to watch.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

so...we can look forward to another round of matt taint articles celebrating our guys ability to line up correctly, again?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:36 pm Right. We're not going to be very good. Like 2-3 wins good.

But, it's going to be a lot less frustrating to watch.
MUCH less frustrating. I think KU will be around the 3-4 win mark because the roster talent on the defensive side of the ball is still really good, especially the secondary has everyone back.

But don't expect blowouts anymore, expect a team that actually does something out of timeouts on a 4th and 2 from the opponent 35. And a coach that will do everything he can to make the team competitive.

Granted, we didn't see many blowouts last year outside of the 30+ point loss at Tech, but other than that, everything else was mostly within 3 scores.

Favorable home schedule with teams with new coaches coming in to Lawrence (Tech, WV, kstate) Some easy wins (Indiana St, Coastal) and OU and Baylor visiting. There are some wins on that home schedule.

Would bet on 0 wins on the road.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The 2-3 wins are fair points, but we are still remembering and were traumatized by a Big XII that had dominating rosters and coaches. Teams did not have to even scheme against the pass last year. Some clown had KU’s RBs as 6th best in the conference this year. They are about the best. The issue was the LOS. I think we’ll see significant upgrades there in technique by the league season. Who on the schedule is scary besides OU? Still, there is the confidence issue and getting some 50-50 calls.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ll put the over/under at 3.5 wins.

I’ll take the over, but just barely. 4-8 seems right
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't know where it comes out in terms of wins and losses, but I'm hopeful the utter ineptitude has passed. We are a couple (or perhaps a few) recruiting cycles from being competitive, physically, but Jesus Fucking Christ the sheer dumbfuckery needs to be locked away for good.