Recruiting 2019

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah the dumb TOs are gone. Lining up incorrectly will be done. Having 10 players on the field will be done.

But Les is still very quirky. He'll go for it in weird spots on 4th down. He'll gamble a bit. He'll make the games fun because we honestly won't know what to expect. There may be a game where he decides they will run it 80% of the time, there may be games where he decides to throw it 80% of the time.

We knew exactly what was going to happen with Beaty. Throw a ton. Lots of dadgumits. A TO per half on a 4th and 2 scenario and then ultimately punting it every single time.

We look to have competent coaching at Memorial this year. The facilities are getting there with the indoor facility. And an athletic department that is putting the biggest priority on football that I've seen in Lawrence.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Not to rain on your parade, but it's my understanding that LSU fans didn't think clock management and time out usage were Miles' strong suit.

I mean, he's gotta be better than Beaty...but I think that's an aspect many feel is a weakness for Miles.

And...for all of Beaty's shortcomings, he actually seemed to have fewer of the inexcusably dumb mistakes (like having guys not lineup properly, or having the wrong personnel on the field) than either of his predecessors.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Beaty had plenty of head-scratching moments though--look at last year's season opener. An ill omen that one. But his biggest weaknesses were his QB judgment and his lack of a feel for game situations.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

One of the worst in-game coaches I have ever seen. And not just because he was the coach for my team.

Les is not the best out there with in-game coaching by any means, but he is average compared to other coaches. Beaty was one of the worst.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm Beaty had plenty of head-scratching moments though--look at last year's season opener. An ill omen that one. But his biggest weaknesses were his QB judgment and his lack of a feel for game situations.
I am a broken record on this point, but: for the love of God, Les, please pick a quarterback and develop him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Beaty was consistent with QB's in first half of his tenure--Cozart was his guy, but couldn't stay healthy to save his life. It's when Beaty got desperate for his job that he started playing hot potato.

Of course, a big part of that was butting heads with Meacham on that issue. Beaty should have deferred and everyone knew it at that time. If he would have, Carter Stanley would be a 1.5 year starting QB for this upcoming season.

Beaty couldn't stay out of his own way on anything. Tried wearing every hat, and went down with the ship.
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

4 Star LB Brennon Scott from Texas just committed to KU for 2020. We now have the 38th ranked recruiting class for 2020. He also had offers from: Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Purdue and Texas A&M.

I assume his decision was based on potential for playing time. Big get for HCLM!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yes. If he signs here good chance he starts from day 1. KU is really thin at ILB. Potter and Scott could patrol middle together for 3 years.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

34th ranked recruiting now. Wow. Pretty stoked. KU can surprise this year too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Still very early but 26th ( 3rd in the B12 ) if you are going by Rivals:
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020 ... s/Football
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And even with the ratings, they are misleading. There are a couple of 2-star guys that are more than likely going to be walkons or greyshirts. But since they committed, they count with the rankings. Take those 2 star guys out, and the average ranking goes up quite a bit.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU just got a 3 star DE from florida that had offers from Florida State, Penn St, Nebraska and others.

Not bad offer list. 6’4 217 pounds. Will likely be a OLB in 3-4 system.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

25 commitments for 2020 class. Most in the country.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I saw a stat last night. Kansas has 9 of the top 1,000 HS recruits committed in 2020.

Beaty had 9 combined for all of 2015-2018.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU right now has an average of .8422 for 2020 according to 247 sports.

Highest since 2009.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

So many positives here the first and most important. Not a juco kid in sight.

Crootin' under Les was the least of my worries and he is delivering.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Didn't even think about that. The 2019 class had some JUCOs just based on sheer timing of when he was hired, positions of need, etc.

But this staff has gotten kids they can develop and become great players as Sophomores and Juniors 3 years down the road.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

They all seem to be three star kids. Talented but not uber star rated they go to tOSU, OU, Bama, and the Clemson's of the world.

Three star kids means the staff is building for the future or they are scouting deep to find hidden gems. Either way I like it.

The future is bright for KU. Just get through the first year with four wins and this program could be on to something.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This is a 2021 guy but relevant for this thread..

KU giving him the chance to play both football and basketball. One of only 2 schools to do so. 21st rated overall football recruit in 2021.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 134476591/

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Les getting the fire power to make the move.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/c ... 134630146/