Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Mjl »

zsn wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:26 pm Immigration is like health care. If our elected officials knew how to fix health care, they would. They don't, so they don't. Just like immigration.

So the end result is what we have right now. A stare down between two parties that are both clueless.
I disagree. In both cases they know how to fix the problem. There is a lot riding on keeping the problem unsolved. Think about it.....if they can't blame brown people for everything what would the Republican Party do? They would actually have to govern!!
And if the Democratic Party didn't cry "Racist!" about everything what would they do?

Probably start winning elections more...
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

I'm really getting tired of the shutdown.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Don't fret, all the rich people in the administration understand your pain. Go get a bridge loan.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

I'm just going to delete this.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:01 pm Don't fret, all the rich people in the administration understand your pain. Go get a bridge loan.
If you're truly concerned, we've discovered nearly all banks are offering close to free loans that cover their paycheck. My bank is doing it to where it breaks out to costing the customer (federal worker) about 7$ per month that they miss their paycheck to replace their typical monthly income.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Free of restrictions on credit score...DTI...past collections?
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Hey Dummy, what about all the folks dependent upon the workers with no money.
Deleted User 62

Leawood wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm Hey Dummy, what about all the folks dependent upon the workers with no money.
Remember, the White House forgot to factor that in. So, that means it doesn't matter
Deleted User 62

Hey, who knows more about not paying people for work performed than Donny John?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

7$ per month is 7$ too much, unless you’re a Trumpista. In that case, eat cake.
Deleted User 75

I'm not saying it's an acceptable reason to keep the government closed... I was just saying there are many financial institutions that are making an effort to ease the burden on our federal workers financial situations.

That's a good thing.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

making an effort, or making a profit?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:42 am I'm not saying it's an acceptable reason to keep the government closed... I was just saying there are many financial institutions that are making an effort to ease the burden on our federal workers financial situations.

That's a good thing.
My company (which employs approximately 500 people around the world) sent out a message to all the employees that if anyone is directly financially affected by the shut down they would provide assistance.
Fantastic gesture but I should would prefer if our horse shit government (that includes EVERYone) found a way to pay those of the 800,000 who truly need their paychecks to simply survive and pay their necessary bills. Unfreaking believable that I live in a country where our leader basically says fuck you to 800,000 innocent people because he isn't getting funding for a fucking "wall" that he PROMISED the Mexicans were going to pay for.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 am making an effort, or making a profit?
JFC

Many banks are essentially giving out several thousand dollar unsecured loans. I'd say that's making an effort to help federal workers.
Deleted User 75

Fwiw....I work at a $700M bank....about $11M in profit last year. $7 is less than an overdraft fee....not exactly a profit focused initiative.

We've had 3 customers take advantage. All were very thankful and appreciative of the option.

Some banks are doing 0% interest, but are charging loan doc preparation fees of $100 or so....which is a little more expensive than what we are offering, but may be due to them having customers with higher salaries to replace.

Again, hardly a good enough reason to keep the government shut down....but should help ease the worries of the workers and the general public who is concerned about the federal workers well being during this shutdown.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i wasn't saying it isn't good what they're doing, but let's not pretend it's entirely selfless
Deleted User 75

7$....it's about the amount it would cost for someone to take money out of their own bank account from an ATM not located at their bank.

Nobody claimed it was selfless...but it's about as close as it gets in the business world. There is risk associated with doing this for banks. Especially when most aren't making customers provide collateral (like a 2nd mtg on their personal residence).

Seems like a pretty stupid thing to try to argue about because I praised banks for making an effort to do SOMETHING....which is a lot more than any of our political leaders are doing.
Deleted User 62

I know one thing.
If I were working unpaid, and Donny John says that he is fine if it drags out for years, I would rush out and do a loan.

Illy, could I do a loan, every month, for around 24 months?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Wilbur Ross's Commerce Department Credit Union.

Consumer
Rates Effective: 1/1/2019
Personal Loans as low as
12 Months 9.25%
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:29 pm
zsn wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:26 pm Immigration is like health care. If our elected officials knew how to fix health care, they would. They don't, so they don't. Just like immigration.

So the end result is what we have right now. A stare down between two parties that are both clueless.
I disagree. In both cases they know how to fix the problem. There is a lot riding on keeping the problem unsolved. Think about it.....if they can't blame brown people for everything what would the Republican Party do? They would actually have to govern!!
And if the Democratic Party didn't cry "Racist!" about everything what would they do?

Probably start winning elections more...
Looks like someone wasn't paying attention to the recent midterms.