Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Mjl »

Has there ever been a shutdown with one party in charge of the house, senate, and presidency?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Mjl wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:36 am Has there ever been a shutdown with one party in charge of the house, senate, and presidency?
Pretty sure Carter had one where House and Senate were under Dem control. Trump's other two shutdowns of course fit this too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

2013 Fox News Interview with Donald Trump:

Commentator: "If the government is shut down, who should be fired?"

Trump: "The President"

Has Trump now presided over more government shutdowns in history than any other President?
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

I think Reagan had three as well.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:26 am 2013 Fox News Interview with Donald Trump:

Commentator: "If the government is shut down, who should be fired?"

Trump: "The President"

Has Trump now presided over more government shutdowns in history than any other President?
Trump on Fox and Friends Sept. 20, 2013

“Problems start from the top, and they have to get solved from the top, and the President’s the leader, and he’s got to get everybody in a room, and he’s got to lead. And he doesn’t do that, he doesn’t like doing that, that’s not his strength. And that’s why you have this horrible situation going on in Washington. It’s a very, very bad thing and it’s very embarrassing worldwide.”
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

dolomite wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:39 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:06 pm What about TSA and border patrol and stuff like that?

I think I saw they’re working but won’t reveive paychecks yet.

How ironic would it be to shut it down over a walk only to loose border patrol in the meantime?
The Border patrol is dedicated to Trump. I'm sure liberals would just love to see the border patrol walk.
It would make Hilldawg happy since she has flip flopped now and wants open borders.

KFC
Are you suggesting we all join you at the KFC buffet? No thanks. I prefer to dine with people who are less asshole-ish.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:15 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:06 pm What about TSA and border patrol and stuff like that?

How ironic would it be to shut it down over a walk only to loose border patrol in the meantime?
The Border patrol is dedicated to Trump. I'm sure liberals would just love to see the border patrol walk.
It would make Hilldawg happy since she has flip flopped now and wants open borders.

KFC
Are you suggesting we all join you at the KFC buffet? No thanks. I prefer to dine with people who are less asshole-ish.
Plus, KFC and buffet
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:15 pm

KFC
Sounds like you either need a toilet roll or a breath mint.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Trump and his dumb wall. Let it go man. It's not going to help and is a huge waste of resources.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

My pa an Arizona native (may he rest in peace) once told me it's not the Russians who will take over this country, and it's not the chinks, but it's the gotdam Mexicans! His words, not mine.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

dolomite wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 pm My pa an Arizona native (may he rest in peace) once told me it's not the Russians who will take over this country, and it's not the chinks, but it's the gotdam Mexicans! His words, not mine.
If you want to stop illegals coming here, the better way is to stop the benefits. They'll leave if there's no benefit to coming.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

dolomite wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 pm My pa an Arizona native (may he rest in peace) once told me it's not the Russians who will take over this country, and it's not the chinks, but it's the gotdam Mexicans! His words, not mine.
Explains...a.....lot
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

lobster wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:36 pm If you want to stop illegals coming here, the better way is to stop the benefits. They'll leave if there's no benefit to coming.
I have said this so often here I should probably make it my sig line. Illegal immigration has not been solved not because we cannot; it’s not solved because many have a vested interest in keeping it unsolved. Arrest and prosecute ten people per day who employ undocumented workers and see how quickly the ‘problem’ disappears.

In the end it’s a bigotry problem. When a (usually) white person participates in committing a crime with a (usually) non-white person the latter is invariably blamed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:36 pm
If you want to stop illegals coming here, the better way is to stop the benefits. They'll leave if there's no benefit to coming.
So we should stop growing fruits and vegetables and building houses?

We would have to be a crappier country than those south of us for people south of us to stop wanting to come here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RIP dolomite’s pa.

Now, if I may ask, when you say Arizona native, do you mean Apache, orrrrr.....?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lol
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:45 pm
Explains...a.....lot
Acorn...Oak.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:18 pm
RIP dolomite’s pa.

Now, if I may ask, when you say Arizona native, do you mean Apache, orrrrr.....?
I know you're being humorous here, but anyway he was 2nd generation born in AZ, right after AZ was granted statehood. His father a legal immigrant was French Basque.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

"Legal immigrant?" That meant that he could walk into the United States and wasn't Chinese?
Don't inject Lysol.