Today in "so much winning"!

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Today in "so much winning"!

Post by Shirley »

Can you say "volatility"?

Volatility is a statistical measure of the dispersion of returns for a given security or market index. In most cases, the higher the volatility, the riskier the security. Volatility is often measured as either the standard deviation or variance between returns from that same security or market index.

In the securities markets, volatility is often associated with big swings in either direction. For example, when the stock market rises and falls more than one percent over a sustained period of time, it is called a "volatile" market. An asset's volatility is a key factor when pricing options contracts...

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/sta ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/ReichsbankPres/stat ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/ParrillaDiego/statu ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/biancoresearch/stat ... tfw">April
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:23 am Can you say "volatility"?

Volatility is a statistical measure of the dispersion of returns for a given security or market index. In most cases, the higher the volatility, the riskier the security. Volatility is often measured as either the standard deviation or variance between returns from that same security or market index.

In the securities markets, volatility is often associated with big swings in either direction. For example, when the stock market rises and falls more than one percent over a sustained period of time, it is called a "volatile" market. An asset's volatility is a key factor when pricing options contracts...

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/sta ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/ReichsbankPres/stat ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/ParrillaDiego/statu ... tfw">April

https://twitter.com/biancoresearch/stat ... tfw">April
People loosing their livelihoods and retirements funds is HI-larious! Thanks for sharing! Hopefully there will be lots more economic data for you and AOC to celebrate in the next few weeks.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Maybe I shouldn't speak for Feral (and others) but I'm thinking no one believes "People loosing their livelihoods and retirements funds is HI-larious!"
In terms of "celebrating" economic data, I assume you realize that some people are KEEPING (not "losing") their "livelihoods and retirements funds" because of what is considered bad "economic data".
Not saying they should be "celebrating" it but a fact is a fact.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Psych, you seem really desperate to conjure up something to give me shit about, and I don't blame you. If I'd been made to look as clueless and ignorant here anywhere near as many times as you, I'd be desperate, too.
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:43 pm Sorry, Trad:

https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/stat ... tfw">April
*thumbs up*
Deleted User 89

i think oil people loosing their shit is hilarious

but i’m largely anti-oil, so...

and i’d say the same for coal, so...

(better to be an honest asshole than a hypocrite)
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 am i think oil people loosing their shit is hilarious

Again, people loosing their livelihoods is funny? Really?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:38 am Psych, you seem really desperate to conjure up something to give me shit about, and I don't blame you. If I'd been made to look as clueless and ignorant here anywhere near as many times as you, I'd be desperate, too.
If that's what you need to tell yourself, go right ahead. It is apparent that you are living in an alternate reality that the majority of us have no access to. Enjoy!
Deleted User 89

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 am i think oil people loosing their shit is hilarious

if it bothers you, yes...it’s the biggest laugh of the week

but, it’s only tuesday
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:40 am

but, it’s only tuesday
That's unspeakably ugly, dude. I am honestly at a loss for words.
Deleted User 89

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:45 am

but, it’s only tuesday
funny...now you know how we all feel in response to 90% of your posts
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 am
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:45 am

but, it’s only tuesday
funny...now you know how we all feel in response to 90% of your posts
Really? When have I ever wished economic ruin on anyone? Get a grip.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I've lost in the tens of thousands on oil the last couple months and have no problem with trad thinking that's funny.

You should damn well know the risk when being reliant on the price of oil. It happens to have been taken out by a pandemic, but just as easily could have been via scientific and/or production innovation.
Deleted User 89

Mjl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm I've lost in the tens of thousands on oil the last couple months and have no problem with trad thinking that's funny.

You should damn well know the risk when being reliant on the price of oil. It happens to have been taken out by a pandemic, but just as easily could have been via scientific and/or production innovation.
between you and i, i don’t really find humor in the human toll...just find the irony a bit humorous

could be one of the silver linings, the combination of forced reduced traffic and clearer/cleaner air, and then the realization that maybe, just maybe, we all don’t need to drive around as much as we had been. even little things, like planning ahead so as to run all your errands at the same time, maybe once a week or every two weeks even, may just become the norm. i know i like saving money on gas and insurance costs...and love being able to look across the valley and have a view notably less obscured by pollution
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

When has Psych wished economic ruin on someone?

Let's see. The school breakfast/lunch program is a "redundant" waste of tax dollars when a second-grader, who has a mother that needs to be at work at 8:00 a.m., can get up at 4:30 a.m., take the 85 Swope Parkway bus to 39th Street, use her bus transfer pass to take the 39 to the 25 Troost (it has to be the 25 and not the Max, otherwise the second-grader would have to walk three blocks to a City Union Mission), get off the 25, get into the mission, have her breakfast with a bunch of homeless men with substance abuse issues, leave the mission and wait for the next 25 bus (time is running out because transfers last only 2 hours) to take her to 22nd Street so she can make her 3 block walk to the best public prep academy in Missouri in order to make class by 7:45 a.m.

By herself.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 pm When has Psych wished economic ruin on someone?

Let's see. The school breakfast/lunch program is a "redundant" waste of tax dollars when a second-grader, who has a mother that needs to be at work at 8:00 a.m., can get up at 4:30 a.m., take the 85 Swope Parkway bus to 39th Street, use her bus transfer pass to take the 39 to the 25 Troost (it has to be the 25 and not the Max, otherwise the second-grader would have to walk three blocks to a City Union Mission), get off the 25, get into the mission, have her breakfast with a bunch of homeless men with substance abuse issues, leave the mission and wait for the next 25 bus (time is running out because transfers last only 2 hours) to take her to 22nd Street so she can make her 3 block walk to the best public prep academy in Missouri in order to make class by 7:45 a.m.

By herself.
That's quite a theoretical. Nice work.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I see it everyday when school is in session. That you dismiss that this happens demonstrates the type of person you are.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm I see it everyday when school is in session. That you dismiss that this happens demonstrates the type of person you are.
Thanks. Coming from you, that's high praise.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas