Today in "so much winning"!

Ugh.
Deleted User 75

Re: Today in "so much winning"!

Post by Deleted User 75 »

LOL

I love those fast food twitter accounts. They do some amazing trolling.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It will be interesting to see how hard us farmers will need to be squeezed to pull their support of Trump. He continues to lie about pretty much everythimg involving them and they are facing yet another rough year. The USDA's Economic Research Service estimated net farm income at $59.5 billion in 2018, down 7% from 2017 and substantially lower than the 10 year average of $85.7 billion. Ouch.
Deleted User 75

As long as productive farm ground is selling for the crazy prices per acre we are still seeing (at least in central IL) I think farmers won't panic.

$10k-$12k/acre is still prevalent throughout central IL where I do Ag real estate evaluations.

But you can only squeeze so much, even in years with good yields....trump has done some things to ease tax burden and regulations for farmers, so he earned some goodwill with that...so I think most farmers just hope this doesn't last too long. Ones who own their ground can survive longer because they just increase their yearly operating lines with banks to bridge the gap during the trade dispute/"war"....cash renters are hurting worse though.

Many I know aren't worried or panicked. But that can change if next year the weather doesn't cooperate as well as it did this year. Good yields help a little bit, but eventually they'll need to see light at the end of the tunnel...either way, most won't be voting Democrat no matter what...so whatever support trump losses another republican will pick up.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I would love to see the GOP put another candidate out there and so would almost every republican I know.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 am I would love to see the GOP put another candidate out there and so would almost every republican I know.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:19 am As long as productive farm ground is selling for the crazy prices per acre we are still seeing (at least in central IL) I think farmers won't panic.

$10k-$12k/acre is still prevalent throughout central IL where I do Ag real estate evaluations.

But you can only squeeze so much, even in years with good yields....trump has done some things to ease tax burden and regulations for farmers, so he earned some goodwill with that...so I think most farmers just hope this doesn't last too long. Ones who own their ground can survive longer because they just increase their yearly operating lines with banks to bridge the gap during the trade dispute/"war"....cash renters are hurting worse though.

Many I know aren't worried or panicked. But that can change if next year the weather doesn't cooperate as well as it did this year. Good yields help a little bit, but eventually they'll need to see light at the end of the tunnel...either way, most won't be voting Democrat no matter what...so whatever support trump losses another republican will pick up.
Borrowing more and acquiring more debt doesn't seem to be efficient to me. Most farmers are already saddled with a lot of interest expense.

And I get that high yields (cashflow) solves a lot of ills, but what good is a high yield without a place for it to go?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 am I would love to see the GOP put another candidate out there and so would almost every republican I know.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:19 am As long as productive farm ground is selling for the crazy prices per acre we are still seeing (at least in central IL) I think farmers won't panic.

Borrowing more and acquiring more debt doesn't seem to be efficient to me. Most farmers are already saddled with a lot of interest expense.

And I get that high yields (cashflow) solves a lot of ills, but what good is a high yield without a place for it to go?
Yeah, "dont worry, you can always sell your family farm" isn't exactly the answer most farmers want to hear.
Deleted User 75

Of course not. But when you can sell 100 acres for $1,000,000 sometimes it's a choice that some can live with....others can live with a bad year of low price per bushel. I mean, this is farming, so this won't be the 1st time many have had bad years for various reasons (whether than be tariffs, weather, etc.)...it's not a good situation, everyone knows that, but there isn't widespread panic within the farming industry (at least not in my areas, I can't/shouldn't speak to anywhere else).

These tariffs aren't forcing the majority of farmers to sell all their ground....at least not yet. People being forced to sell ground are often time bad producers and marketers of their grain....and have been trending towards that outcome for a decade....so those guys can cash rent their land to better producers....or they can sell it and be millionaires.

Like you've pointed out, less people are choosing Ag as a career, so many of the older generations aren't having sons/daughters to pass their land on to.... many of them are selling it to larger farms for huge prices and living a luxurious life of retirement.

There are large farming operations that are a few families combined and they will farm thousands of acres in their areas. The small family farms are a dying bread unfortunately, but that trend started long before trump and his tariffs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lulz
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 pm
lulz
So I guess rwocoach might vote for a republican next time? I know one candidate he could vote for, Tulsi Gabbard, the republican in Democrat clothing.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 75

:-o
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 pm
lulz
So I guess rwocoach might vote for a republican next time? I know one candidate he could vote for, Tulsi Gabbard, the republican in Democrat clothing.
If it was a republican with a modern social platform I would consider it, sure. Just depends on the specific candidate.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ditto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today in The Art of the Deal:

"I make the best deals!"

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/10 ... 0942854145
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Feral wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 am Today in The Art of the Deal:

"I make the best deals!"

Worry much?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

What, me worry?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am
Feral wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 am Today in The Art of the Deal:

"I make the best deals!"

Worry much?
I worry for the families affected by the shut down. A huge chunk of folks are living paycheck to paycheck or worse. It wont take long for them to be financially ruined.

I dont worry about Trump. It's just a matter of "when" not "if" for him. His time is coming.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 am His time is coming.
We've been hearing that for 2 years....