In Larrytown this weekend

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: In Larrytown this weekend

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm If I am eating Italian in the KC area....it's Anthony's on Grand
Love this. So few realize that it's still open and going strong. No frills, straightforward sweet red sauce and carb-packed pasta for under 15 bucks. I probably go to Anthony's more than any other Italian place in KC. It's great for almost any occasion.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

And, it has HISTORY
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:10 pm Lidia's is pretty good.
I've waddled out of Garrozo's a few times.
Cupini's catered my daughter's wedding and did an excellent job. Good stuff.
I had the best pasta I've ever had in KC and maybe anywhere else last night at Rieger for his Anniversary party. Unlimited Pappardelle w/ Bolognese. Simple hand-made stuff but perfect. Hanna was having the time of his life.

Michael Smith switched to Italian and he does an off-menu pasta every Tuesday. Also excellent. He is opening a new place up next door called Farina which will be his new signature Italian place w/ an oyster bar. Looks outstanding.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 pm And, it has HISTORY
You feel like you can still smell the cigar smoke from all the Mob crooks in the back room. Mob still exists in KC, but it's weak as shit and they do really small stuff. Like launder a few bucks through the businesses they own downtown.
Deleted User 62

Anthony's is packed with strip club owners and Defenbaugh (sp?) Managers after 10.

10 o'clock...the lights dim....restaurant becomes a "lounge"...and black folks need to go home.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

No fazzolis in KC?

;-)
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Too bad Italian Garden died.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm Too bad Italian Garden died.
Independence?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Downtown KC has drastically improved in the last decade, but I still think it looked so much cooler before White flight killed the city.

Deleted User 62

Back when I was a youngster.

I still remember the terror of that Katz Drug cat's eyes. That feline was looking through my soul
Deleted User 62

Fun fact.
My uncle ran numbers for Civella in the 70s
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:22 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:10 pm Lidia's is pretty good.
I've waddled out of Garrozo's a few times.
Cupini's catered my daughter's wedding and did an excellent job. Good stuff.
I had the best pasta I've ever had in KC and maybe anywhere else last night at Rieger for his Anniversary party. Unlimited Pappardelle w/ Bolognese. Simple hand-made stuff but perfect. Hanna was having the time of his life.
I'm fairly good friends with the Howard. Saw some behind the scenes pics of that. Some other friends were there as well. Said it was over the top. I'm pretty envious.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I was walking thru Times Square last evening, saw Olive Garden. I know for some of you that is an Olive HardOn. No, I did not get a tour of Italy. I ate some scrumptious food off a food cart at 49th and 6th Ave. Adel’s Famous Halal cart or something. We walked by it and it smelled great, so went right back and got in line.
Pro tip for visiting NYC at the holidays: they turn off the tree at Rockefeller Centerlate at night. It is really depressing looking with the lights off.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

The city that never sleeps turns the giant christmas tree lights off at night?!?!?!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Halal Guys at 51st and 6th/53rd and 6th ( depending on the day ) is the best street meat ( shirleyslaw ) you can buy.
You weren't far off DrPepper.
But then again, considering you were at the Mecca of Italian cuisine and passed it by, you were far off.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:56 pm
Downtown KC has drastically improved in the last decade, but I still think it looked so much cooler before White flight killed the city.

I agree, most US cities, outside NYC and Chicago, don't have much shopping in their downtowns anymore. Suburban malls gave people less reason to visit downtown to shop. Of course white flight contributed to this as retail and corporate jobs followed the people. Removing trolley lines also made downtown less accessible and the development of the interstates made avoiding downtown very easy.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Where Italian Gardens was is now a large parking garage :(
Deleted User 62

shindig wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:32 pm Where Italian Gardens was is now a large parking garage :(
Sucks.

Glad to see that Johnny's north has survived all this nonsense!
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Downtown KC I concur that Lidia’s is good. Just off downtown Chez Elle great for brunch, and their French press coffee is outstanding.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
bigB

Post by bigB »

Deleted User 62 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:54 pm Anyone here interested in grabbing a beer?

Getting in Saturday afternoon if you're around.