Devon Dotson

Kansas Basketball.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Devon Dotson

Post by DCHawk1 »

Soklous wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:35 am But moves ahead in others.

https://twitter.com/kucr8ton/status/122 ... 62496?s=21
It always startles me a bit to recall how good Langford was as a sophomore. With Nick and Kirk getting 18.5 and 17.3, respectively, he still got 16/game.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

This is a nice comparison, but Valentine’s numbers are substantially better
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm
Darnell also played with no 3-point shot.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

He still has a ton of holes in his game but his one elite talent is so much better than his opposition this year that he is lighting it up. We would be a better team if Dotson could pass into the post better or if he could shoot bettter but we are still pretty good.

And his numbers are insanely consistent. Graham and Mason would at times have games where they just weren't thinking much about scoring and seemed to have other goals for the game. Dotson, on the other hand seems to always be looking for the opposition to sleep on him just a bit and then drive to the rack right past them.

I respect Dotson for his skill and I do believe this team with Dotson has a legit shot at making a Final Four or better with the way the rest of the sport looks this season.

We still have 6 weeks to go. We're looking better. More improvement to go. So fun to watch every roster develop.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

With the season entering its final regular-season month and discussions for the Wooden Award, Coach of the Year, Freshman of the Year, etc., heating up, I thought we should take a look at Devon Dotson's candidacy to at least be in the discussion for the Wooden Award. He has certainly struggled in Kansas' three losses, averaging 13.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 3.7 turnovers and shooting 38.9% from the field. But Dotson has also come up big in some of the Jayhawks' biggest wins, including 21 points Saturday against Texas Tech and 31 points against Dayton back in November. Dotson is No. 3 in KenPom's Player of the Year rankings, top-10 in offensive box plus/minus and the only player in the country at least 5.0 adjusted points above replacement on both offense and defense at BartTorvik.com -- one of just nine players in the past 12 seasons to hit that mark. I don't think Dotson is the front-runner, but I think he deserves a seat at the table.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ming-focus
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why is Nick Richards ahead of Udoka?
Toppin is fair - Dayton is highly ranked and he has the stat sheet.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 am Why is Nick Richards ahead of Udoka?
Apparently that 1 extra point per game.

Judging by the 11 person panel that did the voting for that article, I'd say Udoka got no love from the people who aren't fond of KU.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... luka-garza

Medcalf:
"Then I think you have to put Obi Toppin at the No. 2 spot. He's unstoppable for a Dayton team that's trying to become the first undefeated Atlantic 10 champion in almost 15 years. From there, it gets weird...I think Devon Dotson has played some of the best basketball in America too. He's on the list."

Borzello:
"Here's my favorite stat for Dotson, my No. 3. Dotson is the only player in the country at least 5.0 adjusted points above a replacement player on both offense and defense -- one of just nine players in the past 12 seasons to achieve that."

Gasaway:
"My top five is as follows: Toppin, Garza, Udoka Azubuike, Howard and Carey....With Azubuike, it's possible we underrate him as onlookers because we expect someone this big to be this good. Opposing players, however, look particularly pained after they've been dunked on repeatedly or when their shot has been swatted away yet again. We should probably listen to those opponents. They might be on to something."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kind of a slight to Udoka but I suppose they understand voters look primarily for PPG.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:56 pm
Cascadia wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm
Darnell also played with no 3-point shot.
everytime i watch ku on espn, fran says dotson has no3 point shot 8 times a game...seems even :)
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:56 pm Kind of a slight to Udoka but I suppose they understand voters look primarily for PPG.
It also looks a lot better when you can say a player is the only one in the nation with certain totals in 4 different categories.

Dok probably has close to zero shot at NPOY. I just hope he gets the proper 1st team AA consideration he deserves.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am With the season entering its final regular-season month and discussions for the Wooden Award, Coach of the Year, Freshman of the Year, etc., heating up, I thought we should take a look at Devon Dotson's candidacy to at least be in the discussion for the Wooden Award. He has certainly struggled in Kansas' three losses, averaging 13.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 3.7 turnovers and shooting 38.9% from the field. But Dotson has also come up big in some of the Jayhawks' biggest wins, including 21 points Saturday against Texas Tech and 31 points against Dayton back in November. Dotson is No. 3 in KenPom's Player of the Year rankings, top-10 in offensive box plus/minus and the only player in the country at least 5.0 adjusted points above replacement on both offense and defense at BartTorvik.com -- one of just nine players in the past 12 seasons to hit that mark. I don't think Dotson is the front-runner, but I think he deserves a seat at the table.

I mean, in a sense, this should boost his candidacy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:27 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am With the season entering its final regular-season month and discussions for the Wooden Award, Coach of the Year, Freshman of the Year, etc., heating up, I thought we should take a look at Devon Dotson's candidacy to at least be in the discussion for the Wooden Award. He has certainly struggled in Kansas' three losses, averaging 13.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 3.7 turnovers and shooting 38.9% from the field. But Dotson has also come up big in some of the Jayhawks' biggest wins, including 21 points Saturday against Texas Tech and 31 points against Dayton back in November. Dotson is No. 3 in KenPom's Player of the Year rankings, top-10 in offensive box plus/minus and the only player in the country at least 5.0 adjusted points above replacement on both offense and defense at BartTorvik.com -- one of just nine players in the past 12 seasons to hit that mark. I don't think Dotson is the front-runner, but I think he deserves a seat at the table.

I mean, in a sense, this should boost his candidacy.
Yep. And it should tell you the story of our team and prevent any split voting: Dot’s the engine. We can and have withstood quiet nights from Udoka. Dot, not so much.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BYU, v WVU, at OSU and at Oklahoma, where we withstood a zero point zero minute game from Dotson.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 am BYU, v WVU, at OSU and at Oklahoma, where we withstood a zero point zero minute game from Dotson.
Veering away from the conversation a little bit - if we do end up winning the league, you can point to that game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That'll be a big one.
I would say if we go and beat Baylor this Saturday, that's the game where you do a lot of pointing.