Devon Dotson

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 266

Re: Devon Dotson

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am He's been broken from the beginning.

The form is completely wrong. Staff couldn't fix it. We won't see him be a good shooter here.

He needs extensive 1-on-1 training, which he's not going to be able to get while he's here.
Someone say form?
No doubt it matters for most but it's been proven it doesn't really matter for some. There have been some really good shooters/scorers with poor form and some not so good shooters/scorers with great form.
For example, Larry Bird didn't have such good form but I would have no problem with him shooting the ball if he was on my team. Ben McLemore has a "gorgeous" shot but he wouldn't be my first option shooting the ball on my NBA team - if I wanted my team to be successful.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

McLemore shot 42% from 3 his freshman year in college.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:07 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am He's been broken from the beginning.

The form is completely wrong. Staff couldn't fix it. We won't see him be a good shooter here.

He needs extensive 1-on-1 training, which he's not going to be able to get while he's here.
Someone say form?
No doubt it matters for most but it's been proven it doesn't really matter for some. There have been some really good shooters/scorers with poor form and some not so good shooters/scorers with great form.
For example, Larry Bird didn't have such good form but I would have no problem with him shooting the ball if he was on my team. Ben McLemore has a "gorgeous" shot but he wouldn't be my first option shooting the ball on my NBA team - if I wanted my team to be successful.
Whether it's form or not is probably chicken/egg, but Garrett's problem is very very very obviously the flatness of his shot.

This should be not that hard to at least try to fix!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Someone say form?
Well Garrett's form is awful and he can't make a jump shot or a free throw, so . . .
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 am

Someone say form?
Whether it's form or not is probably chicken/egg, but Garrett's problem is very very very obviously the flatness of his shot.

I've also seen the ball spin slightly sideways and/or not at all at points.

I think the only other player I've seen do that is Jo Noah, and I wouldn't call him a knockdown perimeter shooter either.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:35 am

Someone say form?
Well Garrett's form is awful and he can't make a jump shot or a free throw, so . . .
his free-throw prowess (or lack thereof) speaks volumes
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am

Someone say form?

I think the only other player I've seen do that is Jo Noah, and I wouldn't call him a knockdown perimeter shooter either.
He's like if Rush tried to shoot left-handed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:30 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am

He's like if Rush tried to shoot left-handed.
LOL.
Yes.
Though I'd argue Garrett, as a junior, will be better at getting to the rack than Rush.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Probably.

Especially considering that’s Garrett’s obvious option 1, whereas Rush driving was usually secondary to that sweet j
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Must admit that healthy Garrett was effective. After the injury, became a liability again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dotson was good from the perimeter but he needs ( and will ) to work on creating his own shot out there.
If he can be around 39% from there and Chai find his earlier form and hit 35% it won't hurt as much if Garrett shoots his regular, what, 20%?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 am Must admit that healthy Garrett was effective. After the injury, became a liability again.
Truth. Teams knew all he could do is drive it, and that's what he continued to do when he was healthy. Nobody could stop him during that 3 game stretch in January.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Ok, so he had some glaring weaknesses. Any reason why he feels he can and will work on them somewhere other than KU - for reasons he couldn't and wouldn't work on them if he decided to return to KU?
I figure he's going somewhere to get paid to play. If so, I'm not too sure his coaches are going to help him any more than the KU coaches could/would. Probably less.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Sometimes a fresh start/re-boot can be just what the doctor ordered.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I voted 11, because this guy goes to 11.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KU PG's:

#1: Mario Kinsey, Jeff Hawkins, Naadir Tharpe

#11: Mark Turgeon, Jacque Vaughn, Aaron Miles, Devon Dotson

Easy choice.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

This point guard goes to 11.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm very biased, but I don't think there's anyone clearly ahead of Dotson besides Winston.