Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm it’s been more than 30 for me

we had friends from 4H when we lived in New Mexico that we’d help out when they needed. they’ve still got ~5500 acres near Lindrith

they had two cattle dogs, Ding and Dong, that would ride in the saddle

seems a lifetime ago
I've never owned a good cow dog. but the real goods ones are something else
i’m pretty sure those two are the reason i’ve got two now and will probably never have a different breed

loyal to a fault

but yes, the good working ones are a sight to behold
I think I've mentioned this before but a couple years ago I watched one at auction go for $43k
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:18 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 pm

I've never owned a good cow dog. but the real goods ones are something else
i’m pretty sure those two are the reason i’ve got two now and will probably never have a different breed

loyal to a fault

but yes, the good working ones are a sight to behold
I think I've mentioned this before but a couple years ago I watched one at auction go for $43k
as the keeds say, that shit cray
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 pm really been diggin on some colter wall lately
I really like this one, probably my favorite of his.

https://youtu.be/Qy69ucV_sRg?si=r-fKVvmotWJBPYr6

and of course this is a dandy

https://youtu.be/tpUdq8MLZ5k?si=X71bUnJ6c-xmVGCf
i don’t know that i’ve found one of his that i don’t like, which is kind of odd

Kate McKinnon is the one that really got me interested in him

one thing i’ve noticed, but haven’t looked into further, is how much different his voice sounds on different tracks/albums…i’m assuming it’s age or maybe even surgery related, but it almost sounds like two different people singing (at least to me)

edit: i really expected one of your links to be Devil Wears a Suit and Tie
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:20 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 pm really been diggin on some colter wall lately
I really like this one, probably my favorite of his.

https://youtu.be/Qy69ucV_sRg?si=r-fKVvmotWJBPYr6

and of course this is a dandy

https://youtu.be/tpUdq8MLZ5k?si=X71bUnJ6c-xmVGCf
i don’t know that i’ve found one of his that i don’t like, which is kind of odd

Kate McKinnon is the one that really got me interested in him

one thing i’ve noticed, but haven’t looked into further, is how much different his voice sounds on different tracks/albums…i’m assuming it’s age or maybe even surgery related, but it almost sounds like two different people singing (at least to me)

edit: i really expected one of your links to be Devil Wears a Suit and Tie
that's a good one too (Kate McKinnon), and devil wears a suit and tie is awesome too ha.

He has a unique style. I have to be in the mood for it, but hes really good at what he does. I like most of his stuff
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

so far in my life. I have been able to unearth one good colter wall song. motorcycle.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:31 pm so far in my life. I have been able to unearth one good colter wall song. motorcycle.
…which says more about you
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Listening to Kansas; Song for America tonight. Ehart is underapreciated to say the least. One of the great albums of the 70s. Got to see them do most of it at Royals stadium.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:55 pm Listening to Kansas; Song for America tonight. Ehart is underapreciated to say the least. One of the great albums of the 70s. Got to see them do most of it at Royals stadium.
Masterful. We were lucky to grow up in that era. They had religious undertones but it was always in a way of giving thanks. There are some alternative bands out there, and I hope this pushes crappy artists out of the limelight again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, rad...this bumble babe just invited me to go see John Scofield tonight! She's got the hookup on tickets and everything!

It's his trio, which is usually way jazzier than his more groove-jam-fusion-y other band, or his MMW stuff.

Bill Stewart on drums, who is on the Mount Rushmore of modern jazz drummers.

I'm excited! And also hope this babe is cool with showing up to the show completely wrecked on edibles.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jazz is the worst.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:46 am jazz is the worst.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Take her to the Sputnik.
All they play there is jazz.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Someone famous once said it's the notes you don't play.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Jazz, to me, always sounds like every musician playing is playing a different song than the others.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I realize jazz is pretty abstract and uppity a more like, scholarly intellectual nerd approach to music, and such.

I think the thing that did it for me was growing up playing in jazz bands...Olathe public schools represent!

Specifically, it was whichever band teacher or music instructor who advised, "to appreciate jazz, try humming the melody as a good improv player solos." Once you do that, you realize a good jazz solo is actually just a creative spin on the melody itself. Your ear gets trained to hear it.

But yea, that's all uppity and intellectual, when I honestly otherwise think most good music is not, and is some more accessible collective communal thing.

In a sense, I think it's more difficult to write like a good pop song or a simple nursery rhyme, than it is to write some technical jazz or math rock kinda shit.

Oh, and whatever kind of music you thing is good, it's also gonna be made better by edibles.

(Except for The Eagles.)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Take It Easy.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m gonna go out on a limb and just assume q has never actually tried to write a piece of music, in any genre
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:09 pm i’m gonna go out on a limb and just assume q has never actually tried to write a piece of music, in any genre
you're just not intellectual enough to enjoy jazz....

apparently neither am I, because it's not my thing for sure.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If you listen to Kind of Blue by Miles, Phenix by Cannonball Adderley, Blues and the Abstract Truth by Lee Morgan, Images by Phil Woods, Brubeck, and Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin, you can ease into Jazz. After a while, the lack of complexity of other music bores you, short of natural talents that drill through the sameness. Growing up in Lawrence, I got to listen to Dick Wright's Jazz Scene on KANU on Saturday mornings. Jazz in the night every week night. I remember hearing Song for my Father by Horace Silver, and it floored me. KC Blues by Don Ellis with an extended alto break leading into a multi-part harmonization of Bird's original solo. Jazz is all about complex emotions and reflections. Some great Coltrane ballads out there. Love Stan Getz ballads too. It has been there for me, challenging me and comforting me my whole life. So grateful to have grow up surrounded by it. My family enjoyed classic country music, but that genre really turned into bad pop unless you followed traditional bluegrass and alternative performers. Jazz has a lot of young lions out there. The group that is roughly in the PDub age group is outstanding. Bob Reynolds got me into listening to Snarky Puppy. Free jazz like Ornette played is an acquired taste, and it seems to be the thing people reference when dissing jazz. Easy target, but if you follow the threads, the hypercomplexity becomes easier to follow as you pickup the referenced passages and wild chord changes. But I prefer ballads anyway.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

That Coltrane could ingest this saccharine infused song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6dd7ikrXs

...and he could see this in it, is about all you need to say about his musical prowess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3JpqhpkXg
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.