What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by Shirley »

The Beatles - Now And Then (Official Music Video)

Now and Then's eventful journey to fruition took place over five decades and is the product of conversations and collaborations between the four Beatles that go on to this day. The long mythologised John Lennon demo was first worked on in February 1995 by Paul, George and Ringo as part of The Beatles Anthology project but it remained unfinished, partly because of the impossible technological challenges involved in working with the vocal John had recorded on tape in the 1970s. For years it looked like the song could never be completed. But in 2022 there was a stroke of serendipity. A software system developed by Peter Jackson and his team, used throughout the production of the documentary series Get Back, finally opened the way for the uncoupling of John’s vocal from his piano part. As a result, the original recording could be brought to life and worked on anew with contributions from all four Beatles. This remarkable story of musical archaeology reflects The Beatles’ endless creative curiosity and shared fascination with technology. It marks the completion of the last recording that John, Paul and George and Ringo will get to make together and celebrates the legacy of the foremost and most influential band in popular music history.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I gather George completed his part in 1995? It is in fact a type of reincarnation.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Listening to Muse today. Exogenesis
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just heard a commercial for the Summer of 99 tour, headlined by 3 Doors Down and Creed.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

Ran across this the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVumrlisBDM
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Well...shit.

RIP, Shane MacGowan

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/arts ... ticleShare

Shane MacGowan, the brilliant but chaotic former songwriter and frontman for the Pogues who reinvigorated interest in Irish music in the 1980s by harnessing it to the propulsive power of punk rock, has died. He was 65.

Mr. MacGowan’s wife, Victoria Mary Clarke, announced his death on Instagram. She did not provide additional details. A joint statement from the family that was shared on one of the band’s social media accounts said he died early Thursday. “Prayers and the last rites were read, which gave comfort to his family,” the statement said.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:49 am Well...shit.

RIP, Shane MacGowan
Damn, the fact that he lived this long is impressive.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:36 am

RIP, Shane MacGowan
^^^

Not gonna lie, I assumed he was already dead.

The video I linked had another version where Joe Strummer introduces the song, but the sound quality wasn't as good.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yesterday I saw Frank Orrall (Poi Dog Pondering and Thievery Corporation) was hyping this and said he feels it is "brilliant".
If I was getting an hour and a half massage in a nice spa and/or if I was tripping balls I would probably really appreciate it.
Otherwise, I am having a hard time thinking I would/could ever listen to it in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxGdKIuO20
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:28 am Yesterday I saw Frank Orrall (Poi Dog Pondering and Thievery Corporation) was hyping this and said he feels it is "brilliant".
If I was getting an hour and a half massage in a nice spa and/or if I was tripping balls I would probably really appreciate it.
Otherwise, I am having a hard time thinking I would/could ever listen to it in its entirety.

Proof Gutter doesn't get it? (I like Thievery Corporation fine, but this, like you say, would require a unique circumstance for me to want to listen to.)

From the comments:

I love Andre for everything that he is and everything that he's becoming. I love this project. I love that it brings peace in a world full of chaos. It's like walking on a beach as time seemingly stands still. 😊

4 days ago
The younger ones may not appreciate this but This is so Andre and so soothing and needed! Grown man shit… light up and get into it!!

3 days ago
It's like I was a sponge full of dirty water and this album rinsed me and wrung me out. ❤ thank you!!

3 days ago
I love the album ! I meditate a lot so this is perfect for me ! Awesome job 3000! You are way ahead of the future with this one .

3 days ago (edited)
The ancestors are now in choir as they embrace this long awaited healing of the world 🌎... phenomenal

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

RIP, Shane MacGowan
He even got his teeth fixed.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:22 am

RIP, Shane MacGowan
^^^

Not gonna lie, I assumed he was already dead.
Still trying to figure out how Shaun Ryder is outliving any of these guys.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:50 am

RIP, Shane MacGowan
Not that he needed to...

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:41 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:50 am

Not that he needed to...

Holy Fuck!

Give that guy a peanut, and it will keep him busy for hours.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

The Best/Worst of Shane MacGowan...
I enjoyed the Kiefer Sutherland blurb towards the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xr06vxzbh0

If I should fall from Grace....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEuXYpMIYc
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:28 am Yesterday I saw Frank Orrall (Poi Dog Pondering and Thievery Corporation) was hyping this and said he feels it is "brilliant".

I keep reading about it. I have tried to listen for extended periods of time but just can't. First term that comes to mind is "self-indulgent". That's not necessarily a negative thing. Think Rauschenberg's "The 1/4 Mile or Two Furlong Piece" which took 17 years, requires a 1/4 mile of wall to mount, and has only been shown once in it's entirety. I saw it at LACMA and prolly spent two hours just reveling in every detail. Others did "drive-byes" of the work.

If I listened to "Blue Sun" while tripping, my guess is I would find it maudlin.

For extended experimental composition and musicianship, this is still my benchmark. This I would happily/patiently trip balls to. Live versions extended to over an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3CMgiUPuU
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:11 pm

I keep reading about it. I have tried to listen for extended periods of time but just can't. First term that comes to mind is "self-indulgent". That's not necessarily a negative thing. Think Rauschenberg's "The 1/4 Mile or Two Furlong Piece" which took 17 years, requires a 1/4 mile of wall to mount, and has only been shown once in it's entirety. I saw it at LACMA and prolly spent two hours just reveling in every detail. Others did "drive-byes" of the work.

If I listened to "Blue Sun" while tripping, my guess is I would find it maudlin.

For extended experimental composition and musicianship, this is still my benchmark. This I would happily/patiently trip balls to. Live versions extended to over an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3CMgiUPuU
I just listed for a few minutes. My first thought was holy shit, I wouldn't be at all shocked if that had some influence on Andre 3000s New Blue Sun.

Then I read this....
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/14/arts ... e-sun.html

I guess not. No mention of John but a mention of Alice. Hmmm.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I have VERY mixed feelings about Beiber.
I watched this yesterday.
Some musical mad scientist shit here.....

https://twitter.com/MotorCityVIXEN/stat ... 9241241074