What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Anyone still watching "Country Music"? Pretty good episode last night. How did I now know about Wanda Jackson?
Defense. Rebounds.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

We've been watching, very interesting.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We're still watching, but we're an episode behind. The window Burns opens into our cultural history is repetitively fascinating. It's humbling to discover that you've been so ignorant about so much of America's past. Ken Burns is a national treasure.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Feral wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm We're still watching, but we're an episode behind. The window Burns opens into our cultural history is repetitively fascinating. It's humbling to discover that you've been so ignorant about so much of America's past. Ken Burns is a national treasure.
Ken Burns is absolutely a national treasure. However, I am not a country music fan - as in I do not like or dislike, just don't listen to it. Thus, I haven't made an effor to see this documentary.

Any suggestion on whether this would appeal to someone who can be best described as "generally indifferent" to country music? I am curious about history and loved all the other Ken Burns works.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

zsn, definitely check it out.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This weekend on Austin City Limits:

https://twitter.com/acltv/status/118498 ... w">October
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Joe ely is on my short short list of all time favs.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I've posted numerous videos of Camp Freddy and Royal Machines on the other site.
I have seen them numerous times at different venues.
Always fantastic performances, always great guest performers.

Here is an example of when a cover is better than the original....
At least I think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX7lQHN8qFQ
Deleted User 289

Fully admit I watched the majority of the first hour of the AMAs.
Why? I don't have a good answer.
Most of my childhood and early adult life I was exposed to music of all genres. My parents took me to the symphony, jazz, and blues clubs, to Ravinia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravinia_Festival). I started going to rock concerts when I was 15. I managed a Peaches record store in my early 20s.
I mention all that because I try very hard to accept ALL music and realize as an art form, music is very subjective. That being said, I will NEVER understand how and why people who are seemingly in tune (pun intended) to music choose the particular AMA nominees and winners.
I figure the large majority of the voters are pre-teen and teenage girls.

Yes, I fully understand it's a popularity contest more than a talent contest but this blows my mind.

Winners and nominees....

https://people.com/music/amas-2019-winners-list/

Taylor Swift won artist of the year over Drake, Ariana Grande, Halsey, and Post Malone.
I am not a Taylor Swift fan. Seems half the world is. Wonderful. Now if someone is going to tell me that the 5 best musical artists the last year were Taylor Swift, Drake, Ariana Grande, Halsey, and Post Malone, I might ask if it was supposed to be the closest thing to a High School talent contest.

New artist of the year went to Billie Eilish over Luke Combs, Lil Nas X, Lizzo, and Ella Mai.
If these are the best new artists the future of music is bleak.
I don't get Billie Eilish. Luke Combs is bubble gum country to me. Lil Nas X had a gimmick song. Lizzo's worst enemy is Lizzo and those who control her. She is becoming more of a side show than an actual music talent. I fully admit I don't know anything about Ella Mai.

Collaboration of the year went to Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello, for “Señorita”.
They won over Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper, “Shallow”, Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus, “Old Town Road”, Marshmello & Bastille, “Happier”, and Post Malone & Swae Lee, “Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)”.
I have to say I am happy that Gaga and Cooper didn't win despite my feeling Gaga is by far the most talented of all the nominees.

Tour of the year nominees were BTS, Ariana Grande, Elton John, P!nk, and Ed Sheeran.
BTS won.
My guess is 90% of those who post on this site have no clue who BTS even is.
I don't even know what "tour of the year" is supposed to mean but if any of those artists won any kind of music award over Elton John, it's a crime.

Favorite music video award.
I don't watch music videos so I have no idea who was worthy of winning.
Taylor Swift "You need to calm down" won over Billie Eilish, “bad guy”, Ariana Grande, “7 rings”, Halsey, “Without Me”, and Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus, “Old Town Road”.
Good for Taylor Swift and the Swifties?

Favorite social artist. What the fuck does that even mean?
Well, K-Pop sensations BTS won over Billie Eilish, EXO, Ariana Grande, and Shawn Mendes.
I have never heard of EXO so maybe I am not "social" enough? Thank god if that's the case.

Favorite male artist Pop/Rock (for some unknown reason only 3 nominees).
Khalid won over Drake and Post Malone.
Yep, I can't name one Khalid song.

Favorite female artist Pop/Rock (again, for some unknown reason only 3 nominees).
Taylor Swift won over Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande.
Hooray for the 8,9, and 10 year olds who cast enough votes for Taylor Swift to win.

FAVORITE DUO OR GROUP – POP/ROCK (only 3 nominees)
BTS won over the Jonas Brothers and Panic! At The Disco.
Ok, here is where I chime in and sound like an old person. If these are the 3 favorite "duo/s and group/s" then today's kids need to give up on their futures. There is no hope for them musically.

FAVORITE ALBUM – POP/ROCK (only 3 nominees)
Taylor Swift, Lover won over Billie Eilish, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
and Ariana Grande, thank u, next.
What is better than an album full of Taylor Swift singing about failed relationships? I assume that's what the album is about. I don't know. I don't want to know.

FAVORITE SONG – POP/ROCK
Halsey, “Without Me” won over Jonas Brothers, “Sucker”, Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus, “Old Town Road”, Panic! At The Disco, “High Hopes”, and Post Malone & Swae Lee, “Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)”.
The only song I actually know is Old Town Road. The fact that Halsey writes her own songs is shocking to me. I say that because she comes off as having the IQ of a soap dish.
On a side note, I actually spoke with her once and had no clue it was her.

I'm done commenting on each category. Was going to comment on each one but didn't realize it would take me this long and frankly I am getting bored.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Any Pete Yorn fans? He has a new album that's produced by the dude from Day Wave; very lo-fi, chill-wave sounding, like most Day Wave stuff is...it's pretty good to listen and relax to.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Bob Moses is my go to these days.

https://youtu.be/ok7_0FcP0Xo
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I saw Bob Moses open for Phantogram in KC a few months back...their albums aren't really my thing, but with a full touring band they sounded really good live.
Deleted User 289

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:44 pm Bob Moses is my go to these days.

First time I heard this song was driving on the highway in Phoenix when I was there for the Final Four in 2017. Perfect beautiful blue sky day and was feeling good about life.
I went from driving around 60/65 mph to about 100/105. Just had that "vibe" going while listening to it.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:06 am
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:44 pm Bob Moses is my go to these days.

First time I heard this song was driving on the highway in Phoenix when I was there for the Final Four in 2017. Perfect beautiful blue sky day and was feeling good about life.
I went from driving around 60/65 mph to about 100/105. Just had that "vibe" going while listening to it.
I hear ya.
Double Down Under by Crystal Method got me a 155 MPH ticket in west Texas.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

currently blowing my mind

https://youtu.be/cOc2MzvqbN0
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Kiss is coming to the same mall where uk plays.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

old school Outkast today