What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by TDub »

Fell on Black days is one of my favorite songs. I appreciate the alternative rock, grunge stuff way more now then I did when it was new. The nostalgia always hits hard when I hear it now. The 90s were a good time. The last truly positive decade I think, everything was looking up. Pre 9/11 world was so much better. Or at least, my memory of it feels that way.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Not sure if I mentioned it on here and/or showed a pic but I have an autographed Chris Cornell guitar. Unfortunately it wasn't his.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:07 pm I appreciate the alternative rock, grunge stuff way more now then I did when it was new.
Me too. Plus, it hits harder now that I have developed a true love of the Seattle area
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:37 am
TDub wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:07 pm I appreciate the alternative rock, grunge stuff way more now then I did when it was new.
Me too. Plus, it hits harder now that I have developed a true love of the Seattle area
yea i was up in bham during lots of the 90s. I think, though, that meant I got overloaded with the grunge stuff.

And you're not terribly far from the sad and depressing little town of Aberdeen.

Used to drive through there occasionally headed down to go fishing out of Long Beach and Ilwaco etc. Lots of those little coast towns are in pretty areas but are depressing and rundown places.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I really like Bellingham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Bellingham is great. It was better 25 years ago though. I've got family still up there. They'll never leave.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Bummed I missed it.
Saturday night there was a big tribute concert for Lin Brehmer - a beloved Chicago DJ who passed away in January. A lot of known national and local musicians performed. I have seen some videos and I will post some as they are released but if you known Michael and Heather and knew Lin, this is the epitome of them and their relationship. Good stuff - I think/know.

https://fb.watch/mz2q1DQkwD/

https://www.facebook.com/697510700/vide ... 444573577/
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

goddamnit

RIP, mayor or Margaritaville
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Appreciated his music and even more so, his loyal fans (Parrot Heads) but I'll admit I was somewhat indifferent about him. A sincere sorry from me to those of you who are hurting from his passing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Jimmy Buffett died?

I worked with a guy that was a Buffett groupie. He'd fly around the country going to shows. He said he attending 40-60 shows a year.

I like variety too much to ever consider anything like that.....let alone the incredible costs associated with it.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This is kind of eerie.

A buddy of mine was a HUGE Buffett fan and posted this 18 hours ago.....

Everyone have a safe Labor Day weekend.

Headin' out to San Francisco
For the Labor Day weekend show
I got my Hush Puppies on
I guess I never was meant for glitter rock 'n' roll
And honey, I didn't know that I'd be missin' you so
Come Monday, it'll be alright
Come Monday, I'll be holdin' you tight
I spent four lonely days in a brown L.A haze
And I just want you back by my side

Posted this 2 hours ago....

OMFG!! I knew something wasn’t right!! I woke up at 4 freezing and shaking uncontrollably I had to take 2 Xan I must have known something happened. I’m literary numb!!! RIP TO THE GREATEST!!!! FINZ UP!!!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:19 am Appreciated his music...but I'll admit I was somewhat indifferent about him...
^^^

A guy who was ahead of me but went to the same High School, who also played keyboards in local bands in Wichita, Greg "Fingers" Taylor, was the harmonica player in Buffett's Coral Reefer Band from the beginning and for many years. Unfortunately, he developed early-onset dementia and was institutionalized in his early to mid-50s, (unless I'm wrong).

I had always heard, but wondered if it was true, that Fingers "got" his big break as a harmonica player by jumping onto the stage and joining in during a live performance by a group many of us had heard of out of Memphis, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers. The legend was that he was so good, they hired him on the spot:

https://youtu.be/Vz8rL0Pt9t4?si=uJxQKawoZHXBEz6z

Larry Raspberry had been the leader and lead singer of another group, The Gentrys, who had a hit in '65 with Keep On Dancing - #4 Billboard rock charts: (Check out his Rickenbacker guitar, similar to John Lennon's.) The blond go-go girl dancing behind the band is Terri Garr, who also appeared as a dancer in 5 Elvis Presley movies, and would later become an actress. In addition to appearing in Young Frankenstein, she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in the movie Tootsie. And, to the right of the singer/guitar player Larry Raspberry, Pro Wrestling Legend Jimmy "MOUTH OF THE SOUTH" Hart:

https://youtu.be/fgw3eSaG0uk?si=SJ5nGiM_EZAMCTWI
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If you're into American history or the origins of rock and roll, I've only watched ~ 15 minutes of it, but the CNN special about Little Richard is an unbelievable font of eye-opening information. Incredible.

I can't recommend it highly enough.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:40 pm If you're into American history or the origins of rock and roll, I've only watched ~ 15 minutes of it, but the CNN special about Little Richard is an unbelievable font of eye-opening information. Incredible.

I can't recommend it highly enough.
I have seen the 2nd half of CNNs "The Ninties" and all of "The 2000S", about the music of each decade.
Pretty good.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Really good documentary on music in the 80s and early 90s:
The Smart Studios Story.

10 minutes in, they talk about how all the bands in that time wanted to play I’m Lawrence Kansas.

The doc connects the grunge movement to recording studios in the Midwest. Some great archival video.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Which network, source, Outlander?
Anand Giridharadas