Do not open!

You Love It.
ousdahl

Re: Do not open!

Post by ousdahl »

Ok the mechanics themselves aren’t weird, but the motion does seem to take twice as long as the average shooter.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Ok the mechanics themselves aren’t weird, but the motion does seem to take twice as long as the average shooter.
You don't like him and you're trying to justify why.

Again, not the quickest release, but also not the slowest.

You LOVED mason and he had a comparatively slow release.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually I’m trying to justify liking him despite his slow release and lacking ball skills and defensive limitations and no ink.

I think his shot and stats will improve.

I hear Self loves him too cuz he gets the assignments.

And I’d say maybe he has high bbiq, but like 4 posts ago you were the one criticizing his shot selection, so I don’t want you calling me out on that too.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:27 pm Sounds like Cam and DMac may spend quite a bit of time together on the floor.
Where'd you hear that?
I think that's one of those things that sounds like a good idea until he sees they can't get out on three point shooters and can't switch many screens.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 pm Actually I’m trying to justify liking him despite his slow release and lacking ball skills and defensive limitations and no ink.

I think his shot and stats will improve.

I hear Self loves him too cuz he gets the assignments.

And I’d say maybe he has high bbiq, but like 4 posts ago you were the one criticizing his shot selection, so I don’t want you calling me out on that too.
What ball skills is he lacking?

It's so hilarious to watch you be critical of these aspects of his game after spending a season watching you whine for TGF to get minutes....a player with a worse shot, who has significantly less ball skills than Braun, who didn't understand offensive or defensive assignments/rotations/etc, and who was relatively awful at on ball defense.

Things TGF does better than Braun = jump high. That's it.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:27 pm Sounds like Cam and DMac may spend quite a bit of time together on the floor.
Where'd you hear that?
I think that's one of those things that sounds like a good idea until he sees they can't get out on three point shooters and can't switch many screens.
I thought i heard/read it here...but maybe i imagined it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:38 pm
Where'd you hear that?
doubt it.

this is a small ball worshiping echo chamber.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Braun is not strong at handling/driving/finishing, and not particularly good at creating for others.

Yeah TGF could jump, but his best attribute was his aggressiveness. If he was in, he was looking to score, whether it be a jumper or a drive (and regardless of whether it was well-advised.)

The well-advised part is why he didn’t play much, despite the team otherwise being in desperate need of aggressive play. Poor decision making, and overcommitted/didn’t know how to defend at a D1 level.

Relatively, Braun played more within himself, and made more of an effort to limit mistakes. But that also often resulted in him standing around the perimeter, and the team struggling to get to 60 points a game.
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Where'd you hear that?
doubt it.

Eventually people will start to see if you don't have the players small ball doesn't work very well.

Gotta have Josh Jackson types at that spot for it to pay off in a big way imo...and you can't do it if you don't have shooters AND people who can create for themselves and others on the floor.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:54 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 pm

doubt it.

Eventually people will start to see if you don't have the players small ball doesn't work very well.

Gotta have Josh Jackson types at that spot for it to pay off in a big way imo...and you can't do it if you don't have shooters AND people who can create for themselves and others on the floor.
Right. And hell, I thought Jackson was small/slight.

AND we had Neither of those things last year...or at least not enough of both.

With bigs you can control the glass, you can keep the opponent from getting lots of dunks/layups, and you can get easy buckets if they're at all good in the post.

That said, I agree that they HAVE to be mobile enough to switch screens and guard perimeter guys.

But all things being equal, Size/length are a HUGE advantage in basketball still.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And paradoxically, 1-5 we had the biggest lineup ever last year.

But it’s a bummer that DMac isn’t an elite rebounder. Dude has the potential.

And Jalen, despite being flat footed and not particularly big or strong otherwise, was/is among the best rebounders we’ve had.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:43 pm Braun is not strong at handling/driving/finishing, and not particularly good at creating for others.

Yeah TGF could jump, but his best attribute was his aggressiveness. If he was in, he was looking to score, whether it be a jumper or a drive (and regardless of whether it was well-advised.)

The well-advised part is why he didn’t play much, despite the team otherwise being in desperate need of aggressive play. Poor decision making, and overcommitted/didn’t know how to defend at a D1 level.

Relatively, Braun played more within himself, and made more of an effort to limit mistakes. But that also often resulted in him standing around the perimeter, and the team struggling to get to 60 points a game.
LOL

You would be better off just admitting you were arong about TGF. He wasn't nearly as good as you have imagined in your mind. He also wasn't nearly as aggressive.

And being aggressive to the detriment of your team isn't a positive. Just ask Russ Westbrook. TGF averaged 3 shots per game. Taking bad shots isn't being aggressive...and you can be aggressive without even shooting.

TGF just wasn't as good as advertised once accouting for the increase in competition AND the learning curve when trying to be part of Self's offensive and defensive systems.

There is also a reason he didn't leave KU and get recruited by Duke UNC or UK.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm And paradoxically, 1-5 we had the biggest lineup ever last year.

We didn't. We were tiny.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dmac is smaller than: Dok, Withey, Cole, Kaun, Embiid...he's comparable to Lucas and MkMorris.
Wilson is smaller than: TRob, Simien, Arthur, McMorris...he's comparable to Vick and Svi
Agbaji was average
Braun was average
Garrett was the only big buy for his position we had, and it we played him at a position that minimized it.

Deleted User 863

Marcus Garrett works best as a small ball 4 WITH a PG and shooters in the backcourt.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm
And Jalen, despite being flat footed and not particularly big or strong otherwise, was/is among the best rebounders we’ve had.
He got a lot of rebounds, but I don't know that that's the same thing as being a great rebounder.

Moses Malone or Charles Barkley would clear space boxing guys out, meaning, if even if they didn't get the rebound, they cleared out 3 opponents so it was more likely a teammate would get it. Wilson got rebounds just by seemingly having a nose for the ball, not because he dominated the paint.

I'd say it's similar to calling Mitch a good shot blocker, he blocks a lot of shots, but he's not preventing guys from driving or making them pull up, or change their shot in the way Cole, Withey, or Dok did.

Deleted User 863

TGF had 1 game with double digit shots. The omaha game we won by 45pts.

Take out that game and the USC blowout and his shots per 40 probably don't scream "aggressive" quite as much...although i guess to garbage time games where he got 3min and took 2 shots probably are impactful on that too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:21 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm And paradoxically, 1-5 we had the biggest lineup ever last year.

We didn't. We were tiny.
I know it seems weird.

But we didn’t have a single starter smaller than 6’5”.

Add up the height of each starter and that was bigger than any other Self starting 5. CnB pointed this out a few weeks ago.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:29 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm
He got a lot of rebounds, but I don't know that that's the same thing as being a great rebounder.

Moses Malone or Charles Barkley would clear space boxing guys out, meaning, if even if they didn't get the rebound, they cleared out 3 opponents so it was more likely a teammate would get it. Wilson got rebounds just by seemingly having a nose for the ball, not because he dominated the paint.

I'd say it's similar to calling Mitch a good shot blocker, he blocks a lot of shots, but he's not preventing guys from driving or making them pull up, or change their shot in the way Cole, Withey, or Dok did.
Jalen led the team with 7.9 boreds a game, and had a lot of double doubles.

That might be better rebounding stats than any freshman we’ve had in a long time.
Deleted User 863

What he's saying is that no matter our height total we didn't play tall. And MG is skewing it.