Re: F the NCAA

Post by MICHHAWK »

that's pro sports.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:56 am That's being entitled little twats.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

pro athletes are entitled twats.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:09 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:20 pm in Nick Saban talking about retirement he says that, he was having a difficult time getting excited for the following season because, even though he thought they had a great team with a great chance lined up, when he went to talk to players about the upcoming year "70-80%" of the players only wanted to discuss what he had for them with NIL deals and money, and not about their offseason improvements or roles or anything related to the actual upcoming season.

"the game is gone" he says...

who could've predicted such a thing.
https://twitter.com/CFBRep/status/1765439581560725817

“I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class.”

“… and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff…”

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?”

“So I’m saying to myself, maybe this doesn’t work anymore”
A team takes on the mentality of their leader. Nick Saban is supposed to be the leader so what's this say about him that he is unable to teach players how to behave?

Nick Saban has a long history of being a classless, petty little asshole in interviews and he's surprised that his players behaved like classless, petty little assholes after a loss?
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Eh.
I don't think that's the case here.

I think he's recruiting star players and those star players want to be paid as much as they can because otherwise they'll just go somewhere else where they will.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:26 am
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:20 pm in Nick Saban talking about retirement he says that, he was having a difficult time getting excited for the following season because, even though he thought they had a great team with a great chance lined up, when he went to talk to players about the upcoming year "70-80%" of the players only wanted to discuss what he had for them with NIL deals and money, and not about their offseason improvements or roles or anything related to the actual upcoming season.

"the game is gone" he says...

who could've predicted such a thing.

“I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class.”

“… and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff…”

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?”

A team takes on the mentality of their leader. Nick Saban is supposed to be the leader so what's this say about him that he is unable to teach players how to behave?

Nick Saban has a long history of being a classless, petty little asshole in interviews and he's surprised that his players behaved like classless, petty little assholes?
I think maybe you missed the point
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:56 am Well sure.
But I also don't think he's lying when he says this:

"70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?"

That's shitty.
This sounds like fairly standard being-the-boss stuff. The "love of the game" thing can be pointed at coaches, also: don't like this sandbox, go find a different one.

This is why I'm saying he's the wrong messenger here. He was compensated enormously for putting up with the nonsense, and that level of compensation means he can walk when he doesn't like it anymore.

That's great, more power to him. But know yer role, guy.
Last edited by jfish26 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:26 am

Nick Saban has a long history of being a classless, petty little asshole in interviews and he's surprised that his players behaved like classless, petty little assholes?
I think maybe you missed the point
He made two points. One about how the players behaved and the other about just wanting money and assurances of playing time. My response was to his first point which is insanely hypocritical from a coach with multiple incidents of behaving like a complete prick to reporters when he was frustrated.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...and that level of compensation means he can walk when he doesn't like it anymore."

And he did.
And is sharing why he did.
And is confirming some issues that those in opposition brought up several years ago when NIL was being rumored to be integrated into college sports -- that college athletes will be focused more on money than getting better at said sport while getting an education.

Certainly, dude who made millions complaining about others making money looks contradictory.
I don't disagree.
The messenger from that standpoint - bad as you said.

But the point remains. The things he is describing I think are now heavily tied to the sport. And part of coaching now. I think I was correct ( for me ) in how it would negatively affect things.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jay Wright just said in an interview that college is becoming more like the NBA.
He wouldn't outright say NIL was a factor to why he retired but he implied it.

Is he in the same messenger boat as Saban?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 am Jay Wright just said in an interview that college is becoming more like the NBA.
He wouldn't outright say NIL was a factor to why he retired but he implied it.

Is he in the same messenger boat as Saban?
Same boat, yes. I would personally say that Saban's spot in that boat is slightly more prominent (or tenuous, or risky, or whatever you want depending on what you're doing with the metaphor) given ... ah ... geography and history.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So coaches, who deal with players every day, aren't good barometers on what is happening within the sport.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:37 am "...and that level of compensation means he can walk when he doesn't like it anymore."

And he did.
And is sharing why he did.
And is confirming some issues that those in opposition brought up several years ago when NIL was being rumored to be integrated into college sports -- that college athletes will be focused more on money than getting better at said sport while getting an education.

Certainly, dude who made millions complaining about others making money looks contradictory.
I don't disagree.
The messenger from that standpoint - bad as you said.

But the point remains. The things he is describing I think are now heavily tied to the sport. And part of coaching now. I think I was correct ( for me ) in how it would negatively affect things.
No argument from me on this. I don't agree with you, but I get what you're saying and understand why and I am not trying at all to argue these matters of opinion.

The Saban- and Jay-type things just have strong "pull the ladder up behind you" vibes to me (even though I suspect that's not what either intended).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 am Is he in the same messenger boat as Saban?
Depends if Jay Wright was a squeaky clean recruiter.

I am confident Saban was not a squeaky clean recruiter, and other coaches have insinuated that about him. But Saban probably liked it better when the players/families just dealt with the bag men instead of him having to include it in his pitch or fucking negotiate with players.

They may not be in the same boat, but definitely on the same river heading towards the same destination, traveling in very similar boats.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and there it is....was waiting for that reply
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:56 am So coaches, who deal with players every day, aren't good barometers on what is happening within the sport.
Of course they are.

But that doesn't make all of them - particularly ones who made generational wealth under one system and are now leaving under (because of? - the word "barometer" is interesting when you think about it) the new system - the most effective or even appropriate commentators on it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what happens when this system you love kills the sport we love? what happens to the thousands and thousands of kids every year that aren't going to make the NBA but we're going to get a free education and live like kings for 4 years?

You are obsessed with this generational wealth, make things fair angle. What happens to the kids that were able to make something better out of their lives because of the opportunity to get out, go to college and get a degree, when the sport crumbles into a G league? is that fair to them? When the players association says they don't have to go to school because they are employees...so what? they make 100k in 3 or 4 years and have nothing else to show for it at the end of their "college" career? back to nothing and haven't improved their prospects or employable skillset beyond athletics? Doesn't sound like a great step forward.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From my standpoint, it's more, do I believe what they are saying?
I absolutely do.

And was Saban a great college coach? And Wright?
Yes.

So hearing this from them confirms how integral money is for players now - and how other things have become secondary.

It's effective and appropriate in that they are great coaches who left the sport and could have kept coaching.

It's ineffective and appropriate in that they are millionaires complaining.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am From my standpoint, it's more, do I believe what they are saying?
I absolutely do.

So hearing this from them confirms how integral money is for players now
Agree 100%.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So then we draw back the curtain some more and, because Saban is talking about players coming to him directly about money, we can reasonably assume that Saban, an employee of the university, is strongly associated with how these athletes are compensated thus confirming my earlier comments 4-5 years ago that this would be a recruiting/retaining tactic ( while many here disputed that ).

And that soon enough players will be paid directly by the schools.
And maybe eventually not have to attend class.

Do we think that is unreasonable now on seeing how things are playing out or should I take note of this for a few years down the line?