F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

G League Ignite folds:

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

We'll all see what we want to, I guess. I see it is as a very positive sign for the place and trajectory of college basketball.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:32 pm G League Ignite folds:

We'll all see what we want to, I guess. I see it is as a very positive sign for the place and trajectory of college basketball.
Or they're about to do away with the straight from high school restriction maybe?

What's crazy is that some of the ignite guys have actually done ok since they started it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:43 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:32 pm G League Ignite folds:

Or they're about to do away with the straight from high school restriction maybe?

What's crazy is that some of the ignite guys have actually done ok since they started it.
Maybe. I choose to take it as a sign that if college basketball simply gets guys in the range of other sub-NBA options, financially, all of the cool and wonderful and historic and "soft" stuff means college basketball really cannot be beaten out for talent.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 200007007/#

Court filing asks judge to rule that NCAA’s remaining NIL rules violate antitrust law
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:14 am https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 200007007/#

Court filing asks judge to rule that NCAA’s remaining NIL rules violate antitrust law
I think we will be stuck in the worst parts of this transitional period until we land at what everyone knows will - for better or worse or something in between - be the landing spot.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:46 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:14 am https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 200007007/#

I think we will be stuck in the worst parts of this transitional period until we land at what everyone knows will - for better or worse or something in between - be the landing spot.
how do you put toothpaste back in the tube?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

G League Ignite folding was inevitable now that college straight up is pro sports.

I hoped G League would be THE place for kids who had no interest in playing college ball.

Now we get no NIL restricted awfulness.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:35 pm G League Ignite folding was inevitable now that college straight up is pro sports.

I hoped G League would be THE place for kids who had no interest in playing college ball.

Now we get no NIL restricted awfulness.
correct. I don't see a path out of it really either. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It WaS InEViTaBLE!
ANd iTs BeTTeR fOR tHE SpoRT!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:41 pm It WaS InEViTaBLE!
ANd iTs BeTTeR fOR tHE SpoRT!!
there was a way. More thought and development shouldve been given to monetized, no college affiliated options (like the G League). The pressure for payment was growing, and as seen here, popular among those that feel the already established benefits of scholarship athletes wasn't enough. Fine, want to get paid? go to option X and skip school.

The NCAA crumbled because they were too greedy to give up a few good players and instead decided to compromise the entire sports world.

All of that said, anyone that couldn't foresee the absolute disaster and train wreck this has all become.....wasn't looking at the same thing I was I guess because this current state if disarray and absolute clown show of "college sports" was an obvious outcome.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s a shit show.
BWW Chads might latch on to a tweet about how it’s a shit show but ultimately they don’t care.
The die hard CBB fans are left with this mess of the worst of professional sports in some runny collegiate makeup.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

How could G League be expected to compete with the $$$$ being thrown around in college BB?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Was hoping they’d draw BWW Chads by attracting the top dudes who couldn’t be drafted yet.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 pm It’s a shit show.
BWW Chads might latch on to a tweet about how it’s a shit show but ultimately they don’t care.
The die hard CBB fans are left with this mess of the worst of professional sports in some runny collegiate makeup.
Can I be a die-hard CBB fan and be accepting of a transitional shit show period?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sure, if you're ok with the destruction of the game we knew.

I'm not. I still don't understand how you put toothpaste back in a tube.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s the eve of the night before Final Four and the biggest news on ESPN is about how Edey isn’t able to make enough NIL money.

Transitional period is the time before colleges have salary caps and contacts and pay players directly? And then it’ll all be good?

Can we seriously stop calling it CBB too? It’s not college basketball. We need a new term. Can we call it the NBDL?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Def Leppard sucks!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:13 pm It’s the eve of the night before Final Four and the biggest news on ESPN is about how Edey isn’t able to make enough NIL money.

Transitional period is the time before colleges have salary caps and contacts and pay players directly? And then it’ll all be good?

Can we seriously stop calling it CBB too? It’s not college basketball. We need a new term. Can we call it the NBDL?
My opinion remains that the part of all of this that has the most significant negative effect on the sport itself (and the games themselves) is the wildness of the portal, and the money is gasoline on the fire. And that the wildness of the portal is going to calm down.

I respect that there are those for whom even the money on its own is ruining the sport. That is not an opinion I share, and so I think the sport will find a very good level once there is some more order and sanity around roster upheaval.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:26 pm Def Leppard sucks!
You must be wasted.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:41 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:13 pm It’s the eve of the night before Final Four and the biggest news on ESPN is about how Edey isn’t able to make enough NIL money.

My opinion remains that the part of all of this that has the most significant negative effect on the sport itself (and the games themselves) is the wildness of the portal, and the money is gasoline on the fire. And that the wildness of the portal is going to calm down.

I respect that there are those for whom even the money on its own is ruining the sport. That is not an opinion I share, and so I think the sport will find a very good level once there is some more order and sanity around roster upheaval.
how does it find a "level" without contracts and players unions, salary caps, etc. Thus, eliminating every aspect of collegiate sports in the process?
Just Ledoux it