F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am But with the environment as it is there is a MUCH greater chance you will find yourself at the end of a bench and wink, wink, nudge, nudged at a place like Kansas because of all the money we are now throwing around.

The transfer portal is immense.
I agree with you. I also think it matters, a lot, that the player feeling wink-nudged off the end of the bench is now able to find another D-I place to play right away.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

It is hard to say since we have been living in the Golden Age of an elite Blue Blood, but this current situation may only be a flash in the pan if the money that supports it leaves.
Every mid-major has become a triple AAA team whereby the best talent will leave. So fewer senior-led cinderellas in the future. The top teams may get better, but all teams are becoming revolving doors so now teams/fans have lost the Heart, which was one of the nice things about college sports. So even fewer people interested in college basketball. So even less money. So then this NIL-easy tranfer-scenario collapses, and so we go back to a version of 2001 (or whatever). But by then, people spend their time devoted to other things.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's well-said, but at least at the moment the college sports viewership numbers don't bear the concern out.

Will that change if the player movement doesn't find a more reasonable level? I think that's more likely than not. I certainly don't think it's coincidental that women's college basketball is ascending on the backs of established stars that are associated with a single school.

But I also think it's MUCH more likely than not that player movement will find a more reasonable level within the next few years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We will have to see if the BWW Chad's care.
They are the biggest bulk of the fan.
They'll need to be told by a number of talking heads that CBB isn't what it used to be and then Twitter/X will be hot with BWW Chad's and their new viewpoint on CBB.

I think there is a greater chance you loose a die hard fan with this new age than invigorate him.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am
you want NBA with college mascots.
No, not really.

I want the schools to be schools. I don't want the schools involved in paying the players.

I don't think the schools have the right to exploit the players or limit them outside of their scope of purpose, which is to educate students. Not control what means of income a student at the school is able to obtain.

If JBL audio wants to piss 500k down the drain to Hunter and Kevin thinking I am going to buy their shitty headphones because of it then they are sadly mistaken. But oh well. Not my problem.

Well, unless they come out with a sweet Jayhawk edition, and then I might cave and purchase.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm I want the schools to be schools.
do you think the athletes should be students like the general student population? with the same academic requirements as the general student population?

if you want the schools to be schools.

or do you want the schools to be the sponsors.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm
do you think the athletes should be students like the general student population? with the same academic requirements as the general student population?
I do.

That got lost somewhere along the way.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 pm We will have to see if the BWW Chad's care.
They are the biggest bulk of the fan.
They'll need to be told by a number of talking heads that CBB isn't what it used to be and then Twitter/X will be hot with BWW Chad's and their new viewpoint on CBB.

I think there is a greater chance you loose a die hard fan with this new age than invigorate him.
I don't disagree.

I think the hypothesis itself is correct: if commercial money dries up, then the sport will return to a version of 2001 (or whatever), except with even less fan support than it had then.

But for that to come to pass, the if has to happen. And whether or not the if happens is about BWW Chad's, not diehard fans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Do you think it's possible that someone who is getting paid 500k a season might not be at all interested in academic requirements?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm
I do.

That got lost somewhere along the way.
I do, also, BUT I think there should be rigorous courses of academic study that are FOR the athletes. I don't think we should be surprised, at all, when someone finds a workaround (cheats) on a task that has nothing to do with why they're there in the first place.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm Do you think it's possible that someone who is getting paid 500k a season might not be at all interested in academic requirements?
Have the minimum academic standards to stay eligible been waived in all the portal/NIL craziness?

Or just ignored...
Last edited by ramjet on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm Do you think it's possible that someone who is getting paid 500k a season might not be at all interested in academic requirements?
I would guess that most of our rotation players over the last 40 years were pretty uninterested.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

yes.

so at the high major level, they should take the school part right out of the equation. no scholarship. no housing. if the children want to be pros, treat them as such.

they can pay for themselves from what they earn.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

as is. the children want free everything. and be paid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
I would guess that most of our rotation players over the last 40 years were pretty uninterested.
This of course is absolute hearsay.
My parents both worked for KU and had prominent student athletes - basketball and football alike - in their classes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 pm yes.

so at the high major level, they should take the school part right out of the equation. no scholarship. no housing. if the children want to be pros, treat them as such.

they can pay for themselves from what they earn.
Frankly, with the direction this is headed being direct-pay anyway, it is in the schools' strong interest to keep "paying" kids in-kind as much as possible (and, in negotiating player comp, using sticker prices for what that's worth even though that's not really what it costs the school at all).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
This of course is absolute hearsay.
My parents both worked for KU and had prominent students in their classes.
Sure - but the point is not about any particular percentage. It's about how you solve the problem. I, personally, would do it with the carrot. You would seem to choose the stick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I would guess."
"Ok sure so maybe not most - the percentage doesn't matter - i'm just throwing stuff on the wall that supports the ol iT wAS AlREady HaPPenING! premise."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm "I would guess."
"Ok sure so maybe not most - the percentage doesn't matter - i'm just throwing stuff on the wall that supports the ol iT wAS AlREady HaPPenING! premise."
No need to turn up the temperature.

I do not think that the average revenue sport athlete over the last 40 years had at least the same degree of interest in academics as the average non-athlete student over the same period. I think there are a lot of reasons for that.

I am suggesting that one thing that would help, in this regard, is to offer rigorous courses of academic study that actually align with what student athletes actually want to do in real life.