F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 am I dont give a crap about a banner removal. Thats a meaningless penalty.

So long as we dont get a postseason ban, I am fine. And I dont see anything that warrants it. Then again, I didnt see anything that warranted a 2 year ban of DeSousa so the NCAA is gonna NCAA, I guess.
Obviously I am a nerd, but: if the NCAA vacates our Final Four appearance and we don't take down a banner that says "Final Four 2018"...are they going to sue us? The NCAA owns the trademark...would we be doing something wrong with using it after a vacation? Do we have permission now? Do we need permission at all?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I do not know what the NCAA bylaws are on failure to abide by a passed down violation. Nothing, including not allowing us to continue to compete, would surprise me. It doesn't seem worth it just to try to stick it to the NCAA with a "what are you going to do about it" attitude.

With all the lawyers involved in NCAA rule writing, my guess is that a "failure to comply" section exists.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Why? UNC did exactly that with a much bigger and much more proven issue and basically it all completely went away.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Duke does exactly that with their "internal investigations".
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm guessing (hoping) the big name hammer comes down hard on Arizona and that's what the NCAA rests on as far as what warrants the huge investigation.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I forgot about Oregon being mentioned in the FBI stuff. Throw them in the pile as well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am Why? UNC did exactly that with a much bigger and much more proven issue and basically it all completely went away.
Carolina did not ignore a passed down punishment at all. What are you talking about?
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 pm
Paul1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Has something come out where we can be said to have known about that? I don't recall anything off the top of my head.

I'm angry in advance over this shit. I hope that if we get anything more than a slap on the wrist, we start to get real leaky on what's gone on at competitor schools.
What's the advantage of pointing fingers?
But.... But..... But..... They broke the rules even worse! It's not fair!
That's a pretty shitty defense of/for the infraction/s we committed.

Have it figure it's highly doubtful we get away scot free with the NCAA - unless they want to admit how bad they fucked up the entire Silvio situation - and face the possible repercussions.
I never said anything about it being a defense. I just firmly believe (and I could be proven wrong!) that we weren’t doing anything that was outside the scope of what was happening at many/most/all high majors. If we’re going to get boned, I’d at least like the record to be clear about the circumstances.
Yes, the entire herd was running across the road. We apparently were in the path of the car and got hit. Perhaps something attracted the car to us, or it is just our turn.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Do feel like we were one of the prized cattle, though.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am Why? UNC did exactly that with a much bigger and much more proven issue and basically it all completely went away.
Carolina did not ignore a passed down punishment at all. What are you talking about?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... a.amp.html

Didnt ignore a punishment but completely avoided a punishment by ignoring and not cooperating with the NCAA. A proven scandal of academic fraud just totally and entirely swept under the rug because UNC ignored the NCAA and denied. The lesson is to never admit wrongdoing and never to self administer penalties. It does nothing but assist the NCAA in proving guilt.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right. But now we're a bit into uncharted territory, with the NCAA seeming ready to act based on items developed (using that fuzzy word intentionally) in legal proceedings where the school in question wasn't a party and in which its interests were not represented.

Who the hell knows what standards will be applied, if any.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It is the NCAA, and hey we will make it up as it goes or we will make the evidence fit for whatever we decide.

Just listening to Sirius over my lunch time drive (btw my goodness is it beautiful outside!) it seems like KU has already been punished. That is what makes me nervous. If the NCAA wants to make a statement that they have the ability to hand out punishment for what they deem as 'wrongdoing' they are going to want to get everyone's attention. Who is the biggest school so far named in the federal case that if penalized would certainly get everyone's attention...
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think if you crushed Zona, who seem to have more egregious violations, people would notice.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 pm I think if you crushed Zona, who seem to have more egregious violations, people would notice.
Plus, they've openly flaunted the NCAA throughout, while we've been pretty goddamn supine.

But, the problem with this reasoning is that it's reasoned.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote:
twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... a.amp.html

Didnt ignore a punishment but completely avoided a punishment by ignoring and not cooperating with the NCAA. A proven scandal of academic fraud just totally and entirely swept under the rug because UNC ignored the NCAA and denied. The lesson is to never admit wrongdoing and never to self administer penalties. It does nothing but assist the NCAA in proving guilt.
So completely different. Got it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You're a peach.

Here ya go. More specific. Nothing happens.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 9181065838
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just ask Syracuse and Tulsa
Just Ledoux it
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Officials at Arizona, Kansas, Louisville, NC State and USC have previously acknowledged that their men's basketball programs are under NCAA investigation. You would think these would be five of the six. I think there were twenty plus schools mentioned in the FBI investigation.

So FBI nails some people and part of the trial is that KU was an injured party to the effect that KU was awarded damages. Then the NCAA is going to say what??? LSU suspends it's coach because he won't talk then he talks and they fire their AD. Arizona and Sean are just waiting for the bomb to explode meanwhile they put together a top three recruiting class.

The truth is NCAA basketball is corrupt to the core. No doubt. I also think the NCAA does not want to upset the status quo. They would prefer to put their head in the sand and hope the whole thing goes away. Sure they must do something and they will. Unfortunately we are caught up in this and will most likely get wacked. The NCAA is going to crush a few harshly to show it has teeth. The NCAA better be careful or someone might just knock their teeth out.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 pm You're a peach.

Here ya go. More specific. Nothing happens.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 9181065838
I know the details of the Carolina case. They refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing. That is totally different than refusing to comply with a passed down punishment for violations. Why are you arguing something when you know I am right?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am

...With all the lawyers involved in NCAA rule writing...
Full disclosure: Back when the NCAA was based in KC, I went out with an NCAA lawyer.

Once.

#notalawyerioncesleptwith
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas