F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: F the NCAA

Post by ousdahl »

I think the NCAA, or any business, would do themselves more favors by attracting the best talent possible, not scaring it off.
surly

Post by surly »

Missoura shares general sentiment:

"The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions brought down the hammer on the University of Missouri for former tutor Yolanda Kumar's admission of academic fraud with Mizzou athletes. The MU football, baseball and softball programs were all sentenced to postseason bans for the upcoming season, on top of scholarship and recruiting limitations and vacated wins and records." St. Louie fishwrap
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 pm I don't mind the scholarship penalties.
It's a risk the school takes and that's a hit to the program.

Whether it's fair down the line in a severe trickle down loss where Joe Bob out of Savannah State doesn't get a full ride because of MIZZOU, well, maybe it's not 100% fair. But that's a stretch so say one colleges loss of scholarships is going to affect that many other kids.

The one thing that IS utter bullshit is ( as mentioned ) that MIZZOU gets hit with this and UNC gets off free of punishment after years and years of worse violations.
...except now it's some 17 year old who apparently took the risk that the adults didn't cheat five years ago.

The rules (and their application) are ridiculous on their face. To punish kids who weren't even involved - or yet in high school even! - when the rules were broken is morally repugnant.

But: supporting that is consistent with a worldview where what's important is the system, not the kids. So at least there's that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If we had just one less scholly this past summer: no Agbaji.
noosh

Post by noosh »

I think his 8.8 mpg and 4 ppg would have really been the difference this year.

Or we could have actually recruited stud bigs and not paid dearly for a mediocre one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm If we had just one less scholly this past summer: no Agbaji.
Precisely.
Agbaji would have gone to Nebraska or Colorado State or something.
And we'd have taken a hit to our program.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Agbaji misses out on a blueblood, top notch development staff and his dream school because someone else did something 5 years ago.

A reprehensible position to take.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so I guess the precedent today is, don't let a tutor do the classwork for student athletes, just have the student athletes not go to class in the first place?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 pm so I guess the precedent today is, don't let a tutor do the classwork for student athletes, just have the student athletes not go to class in the first place?
Yup.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

LOL

these are not the droids you're looking for...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 pm Agbaji misses out on a blueblood, top notch development staff and his dream school because someone else did something 5 years ago.

Well I'm sure there are a number of kids who'd like to go to Kansas but didn't get a scholly.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 pm so I guess the precedent today is, don't let a tutor do the classwork for student athletes, just have the student athletes not go to class in the first place?
Yup.
wait, so after the tweet Fish posted, I guess NOW the precedent is, never admit a thing, just be all Johnny Tight Lips about it.

sooo in an alternate universe, we just say, "nope, Silvio didn't do nothin', we're playing him."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I meant that 'yup' as in, it's horseshit times all the horseshit that UNC went unpunished.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:48 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 pm Agbaji misses out on a blueblood, top notch development staff and his dream school because someone else did something 5 years ago.

Well I'm sure there are a number of kids who'd like to go to Kansas but didn't get a scholly.
I mean I would have LOVED to get a basketball scholarship to KU too, but I don't want KU settling for second tier recruits.

not that I'd be second tier.

#wingspan #tats #thugball
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Yup. Just like duke did with zion. Deny and assume they won't be able to catch you up...which they won't unless the FBI helps.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's hilarious when it's MU, but here's the logic applied five years from now:
The conduct at issue in this case is also distinguishable from the COI's decision in Duke University (2023). Among other differences, Duke stood by its conclusion that Williamson received no improper benefits. In support of that position, Duke asserted that although Williamson's recruitment was implicated in cases related to other athletes' receipt of improper benefits, the determinations of guilt in such cases did not relate to Williamson's recruitment. Here, by contrast, Kansas acknowledged that violations occurred in De Sousa's recruitment.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

JFish can you give me a ride to choir practice tonight?

I was gonna call you about it, but I'm saving my voice for rehearsing that a capella arrangement of God Save The Rules.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm JFish can you give me a ride to choir practice tonight?

I was gonna call you about it, but I'm saving my voice for rehearsing that a capella arrangement of God Save The Rules.
Not without risking your eligibility.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

damn, you're right.

Maybe I'll just ask Billy Preston for a ride instead.

wait nm