F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

Zion Williamson's Knee Is 'Stable,' But He Should Pack It In Anyway

https://deadspin.com/zion-williamsons-k ... 1832782881
Zion Williamson busting through his shoe and twisting his knee in the first minute of a storied rivalry game on national TV made for a neat encapsulation of everything that’s broken with big-time college sports. Here was an unpaid player that everyone with one functioning eye can agree belongs in the NBA right now, playing in a game that had ticket prices on par with the Super Bowl, suffering a scary-looking injury because the apparel company that has a multi-million-dollar deal with the school he plays for put an exploding shoe on his foot.

[...]

So long as the NCAA goes on refusing to pay athletes for their labor and the NBA adheres to its bullshit one-and-done rule, the only sensible argument to be made in favor a player like Williamson participating in college basketball (rather than going to play in Europe or taking a year off) is that it a provides a talent showcase. Everyone knew that Williamson was a spectacular athlete based on his high-school clips, but one could argue that he didn’t become the consensus future No. 1 pick until he showed his dominance in Division I college games.

It’s almost March now, and Williamson is averaging 21 points and eight rebounds per game while routinely producing highlights that appear to be CGI-aided; his undeniable abilities have been fully showcased, and he will absolutely be the No. 1 pick in June even if he never plays another game for Duke.

[...]

The decision of whether or not to play another college basketball game is ultimately Williamson’s to make. By all accounts, he is a great competitor and teammate who loves playing basketball and would surely want to keep doing so as long as he is healthy. In a fair system, his decision would be a simple one, based only on his own desire and physical health. But because college sports are designed to take everything from players like Williamson while offering no safety net in return, his choice becomes complicated. Having to weigh his desire to play against his health and professional prospects is just another cruel aspect of amateur sports that Williamson will now be forced to navigate. That’s how you can tell this whole scam is an effective one: The inequities just keep compounding, and it’s always the players who end up in the most vulnerable and least desirable positions.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Somehow, I think this is Bill's fault.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/21/182 ... -nike-shoe
Watching Zion fall was a reminder that his presence in this game is built on a foundation of farces. He is playing college basketball because of an NBA rule intended to give pro teams additional time to scout players—as if they need extra time to scout someone whose exceptional gifts are so evident. His presence caused those ticket prices and TV ratings to skyrocket—but he doesn’t receive any money from the box office or media contracts. He was wearing a Nike shoe because Nike pays Duke and head coach Mike Krzyzewski—and not the players who go on the court and serve as walking advertisements for Nike gear. He is compensated with a scholarship—even though Williamson will almost certainly play pro basketball next year instead of working toward completing a degree. The NCAA has successfully argued in court that college athletes aren’t entitled to the money their games generate because fans watch college sports to see teams and not players. That Williamson made Duke–North Carolina more of a draw than Duke–North Carolina already is serves as the ultimate evidence that this argument is a lie.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"He is playing college basketball because of an NBA rule intended to give pro teams additional time to scout players—as if they need extra time to scout someone whose exceptional gifts are so evident."

Yup.
Open the league back up to any and all now please.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yes.

And then, NCAA, take some common-sense steps to ensure college basketball is THE place to be up until you're really ready for the league.

Kumbaya.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

There's the rub ( obviously ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:12 pm Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

There's the rub ( obviously ).
Indeed.

Desiring to be paid market rate for one's labor is a certainly common to nearly all people.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We've had this dance.
It's an endless looping dance.
I'm not dancing alone on this particular subject like I am in my tango with Vick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... edirect=on
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm "He is playing college basketball because of an NBA rule intended to give pro teams additional time to scout players—as if they need extra time to scout someone whose exceptional gifts are so evident."

Yup.
Open the league back up to any and all now please.
He is playing college basketball because he weighed all of his options and CHOSE to. He likely could have signed a contract for tens of millions of dollars with Nike right out of high school, chilled out at home making dunk videos to grow his online legend. He could have signed a show contract and then gone to play pro overseas.

Instead, he chose go play college hoops. Because he wants to. It's annoying how many people think they are opening Zion's eyes to the situation and the risks as if he had no idea this was how college hoops works and that he could get injured.

I get that his shoe exploding 30 seconds into a game with President Obama in the stands and tickets going for $2500 is dramatic and shocking but he sprained his knee and might miss a game or two. He's an athlete. He wanted to play college hoops. Just watch and enjoy.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

They should include a way to the NCAA if a player gets cut before playing a game or taking a check. Not all 18-years are smart enough to make the right decision.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm Yes.

And then, NCAA, take some common-sense steps to ensure college basketball is THE place to be up until you're really ready for the league.

Kumbaya.
Uh, again, this amazing talent chose to come to ncaa hoops despite his other options. That seems to prove that it already is THE place to be up until you are ready and eligible for the league.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:43 pm We've had this dance.
I'm not dancing alone on this particular subject like I am in my tango with Vick.

That poll is interesting. The material deviation in results based on how the question is phrased suggests that people tend to support the idea of N/I/L payments.

I would also note that the "favorability" toward athlete compensation (under the question phrased the first way, "paid in addition to receiving scholarships") nosedives (a) among higher-income people, and (b) among white people. Do with that what you will.

(a) does not hold true for the question being phrased the second way ("paid when their name or image is used in video games or to sell merchandise"), and do with that what you will.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Kumbaya.
Uh, again, this amazing talent chose to come to ncaa hoops despite his other options. That seems to prove that it already is THE place to be up until you are ready and eligible for the league.
For now!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... e-players/

"There has been some discussion of paying money to college football and basketball student-athletes in addition to providing scholarships that cover college expenses. Some people are in favor of paying money to student-athletes who are on college football or men's basketball teams. Some people are opposed to paying these student-athletes. Which of these statements comes closest to your opinion?"

"38 percent of respondents are less likely to watch or attend games if athletes are paid $20,000; 47 percent if athletes are paid $50,000; and 53 percent if athletes are paid $200,000. The fact that four out of 10 people are less likely to watch or attend college games is potentially "a huge loss of market share," Dennis testified."

"Dennis said he didn't think NIL questions needed to be asked and that respondents could interpret his pay questions however they wanted. Also, Dennis said NIL-related questions could be "very complicated" with legal jargon that would be difficult for survey respondents to understand."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i didn’t know vick could dance
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't want to get into an argument to where you can't accept statistics that specifically support an argument of mine ( this one being I am not alone in thinking college athletes are compensated enough with scholarships ) but there are some statistics.

Do with that what you will.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:35 pm

i didn’t know vick could dance
Has danced his way to a couple E8's and a Final Four.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

one might also say he danced his way back to memphis
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:12 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Kumbaya.
For now!
Non-athletes dont understand risking the potential of large sums of money to compete in a great environment with great teammates for a great coach in pursuit of a goal that doesn't have a dollar sign attached to it.

Just a reminder folks are saying Zion should give his teammates, coaches, school and fans the finger and sit out to avoid risking max money at the same that people bashing Manny Machado for signing a max dollar contract with a crappy team because he's "all about the money and not about the pursuit of winning."

People just like to argue.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... e-players/

"There has been some discussion of paying money to college football and basketball student-athletes in addition to providing scholarships that cover college expenses. Some people are in favor of paying money to student-athletes who are on college football or men's basketball teams. Some people are opposed to paying these student-athletes. Which of these statements comes closest to your opinion?"

NCAA survey expert John Dennis presented a number of findings from his October 2013 survey:

"38 percent of respondents are less likely to watch or attend games if athletes are paid $20,000; 47 percent if athletes are paid $50,000; and 53 percent if athletes are paid $200,000. The fact that four out of 10 people are less likely to watch or attend college games is potentially "a huge loss of market share," Dennis testified."

"Dennis said he didn't think NIL questions needed to be asked and that respondents could interpret his pay questions however they wanted. Also, Dennis said NIL-related questions could be "very complicated" with legal jargon that would be difficult for survey respondents to understand."
You left out some pretty critical shit! See bold underline, which is directly from your source.