Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

Conspiracy!
Put on the sparko tin hat!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:13 pm Conspiracy!
Put on the sparko tin hat!
What are you talking about? What conspiracy?

You quoted a bunch of statistics...(intentionally) leaving out that they came from a study conducted by an expert engaged by the NCAA to support the NCAA's point.

You also quoted the guy's assertion that people are too dumb to answer questions about how N/I/L is different from employment compensation.

The study was also done in 2013! The first study you produced today, which was conducted in 2017, showed that nearly 70% of respondents were in favor of N/I/L compensation.

Carrying the 7, that number's probably up to 113% by now!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote:The first study you produced today, which was conducted in 2017, showed that nearly 70% of respondents were in favor of N/I/L compensation.
Wut?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

According to the latest Seton Hall Sports Poll, shared first with Yahoo Finance, only 60% of people surveyed this year feel that providing a scholarship is sufficient pay for college athletes. In 2013, that number was 71%.

60% is still a majority.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:32 pm
jfish26 wrote:The first study you produced today, which was conducted in 2017, showed that nearly 70% of respondents were in favor of N/I/L compensation.
Wut?
Sorry, 66% - it was 70% for people with high incomes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/201 ... amVVyq643A
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well fine.
And I’d be with them I think—if you were going to make a video game or sell merch, then you probably should pay them.
But that poll asks a specific question about likeness...not that you think that companies should create that content.

There are likely a number of respondents who read it as such. You’d have to pay them if you made the content but let’s not have the content in the first place.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d like the video games to come back without the players names and likenesses.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm Well fine.
And I’d be with them I think—if you were going to make a video game or sell merch, then you probably should pay them.
But that poll asks a specific question about likeness...not that you think that companies should create that content.

There are likely a number of respondents who read it as such. You’d have to pay them if you made the content but let’s not have the content in the first place.
Just so we're on the same page, the full question:
Q: Do you think college athletes should or should not be paid when their name or image is used in video games or to sell merchandise?
I'm trying to understand what you said. Are you saying that there's a portion of respondents who would say that (a) there should not be videogames or merchandise with athlete names or images, but (b) if those things are created, the athletes should get paid?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A.
If I was asked that question I think I would respond yes. But if given a follow up question “Do you think college athletes likenesses should be used in video games and merchandise” I’d select no. And I think a number of people would respond the same.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And considering 60% of people think scholarships are enough compensation, I believe that’s likely what people think.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm A.
If I was asked that question I think I would respond yes. But if given a follow up question “Do you think college athletes likenesses should be used in video games and merchandise” I’d select no. And I think a number of people would respond the same.
A number would, you are right about that.

1+ the number of other people in the world who want to die on THE smallest and dumbest of hills.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lol.
60% of us just dying on hills.

And the best part of this is I can’t even argue ( because for some reason you don’t want to admit it? ) that I’m not alone in thinking this.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm Lol.
60% of us just dying on hills.

And the best part of this is I can’t even argue ( because for some reason you don’t want to admit it? ) that I’m not alone in thinking this.
In the poll you gave me, from 2017, only 26% of respondents said that college athletes should not be paid where they are in a video game or their name or image is used to sell merchandise.

You want me to think that there is some large group of people who sat there and had a moral objection to them being in a video game, or their name or image being used to sell merchandise, but those people had an even greater moral objection to the kids not being paid in those circumstances.

Ok.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... e-players/

"There has been some discussion of paying money to college football and basketball student-athletes in addition to providing scholarships that cover college expenses. Some people are in favor of paying money to student-athletes who are on college football or men's basketball teams. Some people are opposed to paying these student-athletes. Which of these statements comes closest to your opinion?"

"38 percent of respondents are less likely to watch or attend games if athletes are paid $20,000; 47 percent if athletes are paid $50,000; and 53 percent if athletes are paid $200,000. The fact that four out of 10 people are less likely to watch or attend college games is potentially "a huge loss of market share," Dennis testified."

"Dennis said he didn't think NIL questions needed to be asked and that respondents could interpret his pay questions however they wanted. Also, Dennis said NIL-related questions could be "very complicated" with legal jargon that would be difficult for survey respondents to understand."
Does that mean "paid in the open" or just paid that much period?

Because I've got some bad news, if Al Harrington was getting offered 100s of thousands decades ago, then the top players are already getting $50k+ to go to schools in many instances....so did those people already stop watching?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:57 pm And considering 60% of people think scholarships are enough compensation, I believe that’s likely what people think.
But probably 50% are already getting some form of benefit(s) in addition to that scholarship....

So how do we address that?

Or is the better course of action to stick our heads back in the sand and pretend it's not happening?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’ve explained my stance more times than I can imagine. Do you even remember it? Can you repeat it without being snarky?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm I’d like the video games to come back without the players names and likenesses.
Buy NBA2K19 and download the college rosters that some user creates every year. Done.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 am
pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:57 pm And considering 60% of people think scholarships are enough compensation, I believe that’s likely what people think.
But probably 50% are already getting some form of benefit(s) in addition to that scholarship....

Or is the better course of action to stick our heads back in the sand and pretend it's not happening?
I am sure you did not mean that 50% of D1 hoops scholarship athletes are getting additional (I assume you mean from agents/boosters, etc...) money outside of their allowed scholarships/housing/per diem, right? 13 schollies at 360+ schools is 4,500+ athletes. I doubt that 2,200+ basketball players are getting impermissible benefits.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am
pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm I’d like the video games to come back without the players names and likenesses.
Buy NBA2K19 and download the college rosters that some user creates every year. Done.
I want the uniforms, courts, chants, conferences, tournament format, announcers ( FRAN!!! ).
Give me fake players with the ability to create rosters.
( spare me the 'you can have all that if you just used common sense', it's not that simple )
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 am

I am sure you did not mean that 50% of D1 hoops scholarship athletes are getting additional (I assume you mean from agents/boosters, etc...) money outside of their allowed scholarships/housing/per diem, right? 13 schollies at 360+ schools is 4,500+ athletes. I doubt that 2,200+ basketball players are getting impermissible benefits.
unless i'm being completely naive, i'd guess the number is closer to ~500